cocktails

I've been exploring gin recently and discovered the Negroni.

In a rocks glass over an ice pour equal parts gin, Campari and Sweet Vermouth.  Garnish with an orange wedge.  It's nice.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scar

• 1971snipe

• Spiller

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On vacation in Arkansas and I got nominated to make after dinner cocktails for the guys last night. I made some blackberry/honey syrup in the afternoon and cooled it in the fridge. The syrup is made b

Negroni in the backyard with the dogs and some music.  Life is good.

Back to the basics  3 oz Beef Eater Gin  1 oz vermouth  2 blue cheese stuffed olives pint glass of ice  chilled martini glass Pour gin and vermouth into pint glass of ice

Posted Images

Negronis have been my other use for gin, but with less than equal parts when it comes to Campari. Just a bit too bitter-sharp, I cut it by over half.  

On 2/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, 1971snipe said:

I once watched an elderly lady at the table beside us at Goode Seafood restaurant in Houston down 4 micheladas.  And she was still going strong when we left.  If I'm not wrong they were dropping a raw oyster in the glass prior to pouring the beer into it.  

Yeah, the first time I discovered a Michelada I was in San Diego and there was no raw clam in it and it was made with really cheesy Mexican Tecate beer.  The bartender told me they were made so that that the crappy beer was drinkable....

Literally within a week or so of trying one I was In Baja Mexico in Ensenada and ordered one and it had a raw Pismo clam chopped up in it, and it was made with Corona beer, old school Mexican Corona in the 10 oz bottles, before Falstaff bought the rights.... Devine.....

If people are experimenting with gin drinks I suggest trying a Green Isaac's Special....it is an old drink that Ernest Hemingway popularized in "Islands in the Stream".....gin, bitters, lime and coconut water, all on ice in a tall Collins glass....

I have been drinking them the last week or so, since we are in the middle of a freezing cold Maine winter and I'd like to be in Alice Town, swilling a few at The Compleat Angler (RIP) after a day of bone fishing......

Craig Doherty

Scotch or bourbon neat or with an ice cube or two as a night cap -- if we're making cocktails, it's usually bourbon Manhattans.  

2 parts Jefferson's bourbon

1 part Sweet Vermouth

3 badda bing cherries 

splash of cherry juice

dropper of Woodford Reserve bourbon bitters

5 hours ago, Spiller said:

Yeah, the first time I discovered a Michelada I was in San Diego and there was no raw clam in it and it was made with really cheesy Mexican Tecate beer.  The bartender told me they were made so that that the crappy beer was drinkable....

Literally within a week or so of trying one I was In Baja Mexico in Ensenada and ordered one and it had a raw Pismo clam chopped up in it, and it was made with Corona beer, old school Mexican Corona in the 10 oz bottles, before Falstaff bought the rights.... Devine.....

If people are experimenting with gin drinks I suggest trying a Green Isaac's Special....it is an old drink that Ernest Hemingway popularized in "Islands in the Stream".....gin, bitters, lime and coconut water, all on ice in a tall Collins glass....

I have been drinking them the last week or so, since we are in the middle of a freezing cold Maine winter and I'd like to be in Alice Town, swilling a few at The Compleat Angler (RIP) after a day of bone fishing......

Ain't never had a negroni.  I'll try one next time we go out.  

Haven't tried a Green Isaac either but it looks interesting.  I did try another Hemmingway cocktail once though, called Death in the Afternoon, made with champagne and absynth.  It's interesting but not one of my favorites.  

• 2 weeks later...

IMG-2679.jpg

Manhattan-

2 parts Bulleit Rye

1 part Sweet Vermouth

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir over ice and strain into a coupe.  Garnish with a cherry (google Luxardo cherries if you want to really go all in).

Complex and satisfying way to enjoy a drink in the evening.

IMG-2696.jpg

Boulevardier-

1 to 1.5 parts bourbon or rye (I used a nice bourbon)

1 part Campari

1 part Sweet Vermouth

(I also added about half a tablespoon of the cherry juice)

Stir over ice and strain into a rocks glass with ice.  Garnish with a cherry or orange peel (the orange really stands out in this drink).

I'm hard pressed to express how delightful this cocktail is.  Trust me, you want to try one.

3 hours ago, Scar said:

Boulevardier-

1 part Campari

1 part Sweet Vermouth

Stir over ice and strain into a rocks glass with ice.  Garnish with a cherry or orange peel (the orange really stands out in this drink).

I'm hard pressed to express how delightful this cocktail is.  Trust me, you want to try one.

A whiskey Negroni, can't imagine that being a bad thing.  I cut a decent wedge from the orange and the whole piece goes in after a good squeeze to make it give up its flavors to the drink. Also bought some orange bitters to add to the mix but I think the Campari does well enough by itself.

I’m more of a beer drinker, but I’ll reach for the American Honey every once in a while. 
I like it over ice and sometimes I give it a squeeze of lemon juice. 

Sometimes I hit it with a light splash of straight Wild Turkey, but that’s to my taste, it kinda cuts the sweet a bit. 
I think we’ve tried about all the honeys, but always go back to the American Honey. 
Good for a cough or cold too.
It won’t cure it, but you will feel better...😂

Mike Connally
4 hours ago, settem said:

I’m more of a beer drinker, but I’ll reach for the American Honey every once in a while. 
I like it over ice and sometimes I give it a squeeze of lemon juice. 

Sometimes I hit it with a light splash of straight Wild Turkey, but that’s to my taste, it kinda cuts the sweet a bit. 
I think we’ve tried about all the honeys, but always go back to the American Honey. 
Good for a cough or cold too.
It won’t cure it, but you will feel better...😂

Wild Turkey American Honey is the best of the honey bourbons. 

14 hours ago, Scar said:

IMG-2679.jpg

Manhattan-

2 parts Bulleit Rye

1 part Sweet Vermouth

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir over ice and strain into a coupe.  Garnish with a cherry (google Luxardo cherries if you want to really go all in).

Complex and satisfying way to enjoy a drink in the evening.

IMG-2696.jpg

Boulevardier-

1 part Campari

1 part Sweet Vermouth

You take nice pics.  Nice set up.  What camera?  Also you're the second person in less than a week that I've seen mentioning a Boulevardier on line.  

8 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

You take nice pics.  Nice set up.  What camera?  Also you're the second person in less than a week that I've seen mentioning a Boulevardier on line.  

Thank you!  These are taken with my iPhone X.  Some of my photos are taken with my GoPro cameras.  The newer phones do about everything an SLR can do.

Order a pre-meal Boulevardier the next time you sit down to a nice dinner out and let me know what you think.  Better yet make one yourself at home and enjoy it while scratching your dog(s) ears.

5 hours ago, robp said:

Thanks Scar

69F01DFB-AE5B-4DFD-BCEE-AD5F10EDF6BC.jpeg

And??? Report!

BTW it looks wonderful !

I put more bourbon in my Manhattans than most folks...

I'm at 5 :1 for Manhattans and sometimes I also add a little cherry juice....I was at The Top of the Mark in San Francisco and ordered a 5 to 1 Manhattan, up, and I told the bartender to add a splash of cherry juice and he shook his head and said for me to trust him. He made me one with a little Luxardo Marschino Liquer in it, it is good take.....

I have tried a Boulevardier in the past I think that is why I actually have a bottle of Campari in my liquor cabinet. I think I followed the classic recipe and I went 1:1:1 and was not too impressed. I thought it was drinkable but a bit too bitter for my taste...I'll have to revisit that one... with more bourbon and less of the other two...

I used to make Martini's with just a few drops of vermouth but I like them wetter now but not too wet I'm at a tad less than 4:1...

I'm enjoying this thread, but quickly learning (or re-learning) that cocktail experimentation can get as expensive as the pipe smoking hobby.