10,000 Mile Oil Changes?? New Vehicle Break In Period??

Jazz4Brazo

Guess I am out of touch...many years ago I switched our vehicles over to synthetics and changed every 5 - 6,000 miles.

We just traded in our 06 Camry V6 and 07 Tacoma for 2020 Toyota Camry V6 again and 4Runner (sorry Steve I tried but my wife would not look at Lexus...what would the neighbors think...so settled on the TRD Pro in new Army Green and convinced my wife to at least order the XSE V6 with 301 hp LOL)...both vehicles use the recent 0W20 synthetic grade and recommend OK changes at 10,000 miles.

Oil changes are covered for 1st 2 years under Toyota Care plan but I still plan on doing the 1st change at 1K miles (always heard it was a good idea to do an early change on new vehicles to remove any mfg leftovers) as well as low key driving as a break in period (though again that also seems a thing of the past with these new vehicles?).

So what say the collective UJ brain trust on this relatively new 10K oil change policy? Is the new synthetic really that good??? Is there really a break in period anymore?.

Sorry if this has been covered before 😞

J4B

P.S. We expect to run these vehicles for the same 15 yrs as last go around a save for the next purchases in advance as vehicle prices today are absurd (don't  even get me going on the buying experience!)!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jazz4Brazo

• Dogwood

• dogrunner

• markbrit

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always adhered to oil changes are cheap so why not...will probably continue the same with these 2 using the synthetic at around the 7500 mark 🙂   Here's a pic of the new hunting rig...h

My 2017 Chevy Duramax still had a break in period they wanted you to observe. Since I intend to drive it for many years, I followed it.   Regarding extended oil changes. I made my living wor

Posted Images

chilly460

As far as break-in, it's largely a thing of the past as manufacturers use low tension rings nowadays, the break-in in the past was largely old cast iron heavy tension rings wearing in to the cylinders.  I'd make sure to vary RPM a bit, don't lean on it too hard, but I'd say by 250mi she's as broken in as needed.  

I would absolutely change the oil in 1k if possible, there's still some amount of metal on metal wear that occurs.  Cams and lifters, valve springs to the spring cups, cam follower to valves, bearing material...none of it do you want circulating.  

As far as the oil change interval, I'm sure there will be plenty of guys claming they did 10k changes.  I do agree oil seems to be good enough to hold up to this interval.  My problem with the whole idea is that no matter how good the oil is, the filters are still the same size (actually they seem to be getting smaller).  The filter is still getting saturated with whatever impurities it's filtering, just don't see how this is good.  When I change oil in a modern vehicle at 3k, it is still clear and looks perfect. At 5k it's gone a bit dark and looks like it's about time to change.  I've changed a few for friends or on used vehicles with 10k on the oil, the oil is jet black and looks to have lost some viscosity.  I'm no oil expert, but seems cheap insurance to change it at 5k.  

bennelli-banger

I know nothing about cars, but I have had Toyotas for some time, and the 10k interval struck me as being a bit too long...but I have let it go that long a few times, and I have looked at the oil on the dipstick and it didn't look terrible at 8k or whatever it was...also asked my mechanic what it looked like to him and he said it wasn't too bad...I just did my sienna van yesterday, happened to be at 5k, mainly so I could rotate tires at 5k...in a perfect world I would do it around 7k or so, I guess...

My 2017 Chevy Duramax still had a break in period they wanted you to observe. Since I intend to drive it for many years, I followed it.

Regarding extended oil changes. I made my living working in a refinery laboratory. When I started many years ago,, there was still leaded gasoline and diesel could have 5000ppm sulfur in it. Unleaded gasoline could have 1000ppm of sulfur and leaded could have 1500ppm. New regulations have basically removed all sulfur from diesel and most of it from gasoline.

The oxidized sulfur was the genesis of most of the acid sludge the oil would hold. Since there is now much less of it,,,, I can see longer oil change intervals.

Jazz4Brazo

Interesting...thanks.

I worked in a sister division of one of the main FCC/HPC catalyst suppliers to the oil industry...even Asia is slowly moving to low sulfur diesel/gas (the smell of India in your luggage when you get home may be a thing of the past)...unfortunately some areas still burn dirty coal but I digress...but the sludge cause insight is interesting.

J4B 

Factory warranty required oil changes every 12 months or 10k miles on the Range Rover Sport. At first I was skeptical but eventually settled down about it.  I think it holds 8 1/2 quarts synthetic. We drive the vehicle about 8-10k miles a year and do an annual oil change. I ask every time and the response continues to be to keep the same schedule. And I can assure you with the high cost to change the oil it would be in their best interest to suggest more frequent. Otherwise, we follow the 3-4k guideline on the Ford Edge. 

I just sold my 2002 F-150 to a farmer for a field vehicle. It had 225,000 and suffered through about 8 oil changes. It got the same mileage as new (14-16) and never leaked a drop of fluids. No ticks and no knocks. Engine purred like new but her body was crumbling away. She could have benefitted more from an oil bath every 10,000 miles than another engine oil change. I don't drive a lot of miles so every vehicle I've ever owned has suffered more from Iowa winters than any lack of engine maintenance. 

Old school here . Change at 1000 new and every 3000-4000 . I keep my cars a long time and really take care of them . After paying almost $60,000 for the newest and probably last car I'll ever buy a Tahoe LTZ , oil changes are cheap . 

CheckCord

@Jazz4Brazo I heard that 301 HP Camry is FAST!  

As far as break in, I dont think its required like it used to be.  but an early oil change is cheap enough to make yourself feel better.  

I do 5k intervals on my Tundra.  Will be doing the same on the wifes Sequoia.  

I have a Mazda CX-5 2018 and my daughter a CX-5 2019.  I think the book says 7,500 miles.  That said, the dealership beats on me for a new oil change every 5K.  I point out what the book says and they shrug and say they still recommend 5K.   I usually change at 6K, which is about every 6 months.  FWIW, before 0-20 weight synthetic oils I always changed at 5K.  With dino oil I changed at 3K.  FWIW, the only vehicle I have owned that burned oil was my daughters Toyota RAV 2010 and it certainly did burn oil.  A quart every 3K and at that time it had about 130K on it. 

Jazz4Brazo
1 hour ago, CheckCord said:

@Jazz4Brazo I heard that 301 HP Camry is FAST!  

I'll let you know after 1,000 miles of easy driving IF my wife let's me drive her new car 😄😄 but since I convinced her to go for the V6 one can expect when alone boys will be boys 😱😁

I change my 0/20 every 5,000 or sooner.It is pretty dark at that time. I have found Mobil 1 at Sams for 28 bucks a sixpack when on sale.

Chukarman

I drive my vehicles a lot and don’t spare the horses. My diesel F350 gets changed very 5K miles, my Landcruiser V8, which uses full synthetic oil, I change every 7.5K mikes. Oil, fuel, and air filters get changed at the same time. I very seldom have any issues and both vehicles are north of 200K miles.

Jazz4Brazo

I've always adhered to oil changes are cheap so why not...will probably continue the same with these 2 using the synthetic at around the 7500 mark 🙂

Here's a pic of the new hunting rig...had 1 mile on it when I took possession...

20200201_123458.jpg