Jazz4Brazo

10,000 Mile Oil Changes?? New Vehicle Break In Period??

Jazz4Brazo

20200201_123430.jpg

Brad Eden

Stopped at my mechanics shop this morning. He was swapping out engines in a 2014 or 2015 Ford F-250. The engine blew at 90,000 miles. He was putting in another used engine that actually had more miles than the bad one ( the company supplied the used replacement engine). The truck was a service vehicle for some company, but wasn’t a plow truck. I asked why it blew so fast. He said they probably didn’t maintain it or change the oil enough. 

I’ve never used synthetic, and have always changed the oil in my vehicles every 3k, no more than 5k, including my 2006 Tundra with over 200k miles. It may rot out but the engine will still be purring like a kitten and running like a top. 

Are all now vehicles now synthetic oil?

john mcg

I don’t know for sure, Brad—-but synthetics out perform Dino oil.

You can google used oil comparison tests.

Samuel Hoggson

Did the '89 7.3 at 5k, 11 qts Rotella dino.  Increased to 6k Rotella syn for the '01.  Capacity was 15 qts, though. 

The '18 gas 6.2 gets 5w-30 syn at 5k.  A mere 7 qts.  Manual calls for synthetic. 

rideold

We had a 2002 diesel Jetta that we bought new.  Drove it for about 110,000 miles before it became too expensive to maintain.  Manual said to change the oil every 10k so that's what we did until the warranty ran out and we switched to an independent repair shop.  I asked him about the oil change interval and his opinion was "sure, 10k is fine but if you want your vehicle to last then more frequently is better".  Seems like good advice to me.  I change the oil in the my Sequoia every 3k now....I haven't used synthetic in this vehicle but my wife runs it in her 4Runner and changes it every 5k.  I agree, oil changes are cheap insurance.

john mcg

I think 5K syn is a good balance, but 7k is fine without a heavy load.

River19
9 hours ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

Guess I am out of touch...many years ago I switched our vehicles over to synthetics and changed every 5 - 6,000 miles.

We just traded in our 06 Camry V6 and 07 Tacoma for 2020 Toyota Camry V6 again and 4Runner (sorry Steve I tried but my wife would not look at Lexus...what would the neighbors think...so settled on the TRD Pro in new Army Green and convinced my wife to at least order the XSE V6 with 301 hp LOL)...both vehicles use the recent 0W20 synthetic grade and recommend OK changes at 10,000 miles.

Oil changes are covered for 1st 2 years under Toyota Care plan but I still plan on doing the 1st change at 1K miles (always heard it was a good idea to do an early change on new vehicles to remove any mfg leftovers) as well as low key driving as a break in period (though again that also seems a thing of the past with these new vehicles?).

So what say the collective UJ brain trust on this relatively new 10K oil change policy? Is the new synthetic really that good??? Is there really a break in period anymore?.

Sorry if this has been covered before 😞

J4B

P.S. We expect to run these vehicles for the same 15 yrs as last go around a save for the next purchases in advance as vehicle prices today are absurd (don't  even get me going on the buying experience!)!!

Good move Pierre.

IF going new the TRD Pro is a sweet rig......used the GX is where my heart is at......but I would take a 4R TRD Pro any day as well.....very nice rig.

Jazz4Brazo

Easier decision after spending time hunting out of your rig this past fall in Maine so thanks for the nudge in the right direction 👍

RookieEP

It is a sweet rig

Jazz4Brazo

It has the lift gate vs the swing door which I think I will prove to be a winner as well as a power window which will be very convenient.

dogrunner

I started using synthetic oil in 1997. Back then a company made a filter that had a guarantee of 12,500 miles or 6 months and there oil was rated for 25,000. I ran oil well over 10,000 back then.  Nowadays most car companies oil change suggests 7,500 or 10,000. The only time I wouldn’t do it is if you are a cab driver always idling  or constantly city driving. Or you just drive a mile or 2 and never get your motor hot to burn off condensation. There are about 5 or 6 different kinds of filters now rated for 20,000 miles so 10,000 shouldn’t be an issue. My oil life monitor on my last 3 trucks with the way I drive says about 5% at 10,000 miles and I go that far and have had no issues. I have ran these filters plus Amsoil and 1 other which I don’t recall the name of for 10,000 to12,000 many times. When I take my filter off everything looks still very clean even with that mileage. A good synthetic oil plus a good filter does a nice job as far as I can tell for all these years.  I can get the Fram at Meijer or Walmart for $10. Anything nowadays under 5,000 seems like a waste of money. Oil that is made now is better than even 10 years ago. 

2EFAB9DF-4926-4B5C-A145-67E37134F6DE.jpeg

GLS

My shop of preference is a family owned garage owned and operated by a factory trained Toyota mechanic.  On my 2016 4Runner, he recommended 5-6K changes despite 10K factory recommendation and in his words  "it won't hurt the truck" and in the truck's lifetime, it's not a huge expense to do so, and in the scheme of things, it's near the  top of the most beneficial maintenance that can be done on a vehicle . 

tut
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Stopped at my mechanics shop this morning. He was swapping out engines in a 2014 or 2015 Ford F-250. The engine blew at 90,000 miles. He was putting in another used engine that actually had more miles than the bad one ( the company supplied the used replacement engine). The truck was a service vehicle for some company, but wasn’t a plow truck. I asked why it blew so fast. He said they probably didn’t maintain it or change the oil enough. 

I’ve never used synthetic, and have always changed the oil in my vehicles every 3k, no more than 5k, including my 2006 Tundra with over 200k miles. It may rot out but the engine will still be purring like a kitten and running like a top. 

Are all now vehicles now synthetic oil?

I think Dino Oil is not available in 0-20 weight.  So any new vehicle that has that viscosity of oil is using synthetic oil. 

FlyChamps

The local 6 location tire & oil change shop I use recommends 3-5K with dino oil and 10K with synthetic.  Both of our off-warranty Subaru's use 0W-20 synthetic and I change at 10K or 1 year.

Virgil Kane

And the next question is, are all synthetics, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Pennzoil the same and give the same protection ?