Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Jazz4Brazo

10,000 Mile Oil Changes?? New Vehicle Break In Period??

Recommended Posts

terrym

I change the oil in my Ram 5.7hemi every 10,000 kilometres ( owners manual recommends every 16,000 kms). Only use synthetic. I’m at 320,000 kilometres now and it feels like new and burns @ 1/3 litre in 10,000k intervals. What I also do that my mechanic says is quite rare is do a transmission oil change once a year. I don’t get engine or tranny failures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
River19

Like the Chevy rigs my Ram 2500 with the 6.4L has the % of oil life monitor and it seems to get to ~7500-10K which is about a year for me in that rig.

 

The GX is every 3500-5000 miles of Dino as it is the good old Toyotal 4.7L.

 

The GS is fancy pants and gets synthetic every 5K evidently.....only had it (new used to me) for 8K miles.

 

I just follow the manufacture recommendation......I tend to push the GX a bit as I know that engine can take 5K intervals easily and our miles are largely highway miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
john mcg

ANybody have issues with the auto fuel management systems in Chevies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogwood
20 hours ago, markbrit said:

2012 Toyota Tundra. I did first oil change at 2,500 for break in. Then at 10k. Toyota says 10k intervals. I use Mobil 1.

 

I too was curious and actually sent my oil to Blackstone Labs for analysis since I towed a camper. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

 

My Dad pounded routine oil changes in my head, but I think you OK with 10k intervals. 

 

Here are my reports at 20k and 40k miles.

 

 

12-TUNDRA-012814.jpg

12-TUNDRA-070315.jpg

 

Interesting that you posted your Blackstone report.  I've used them multiple times and whenever I've inquired they stated that synthetic oils offered no advantages over regular dino oil.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
markbrit
On 2/5/2020 at 6:18 PM, dogrunner said:

Pretty sure Mobil 1 makes Toyota oil with maybe a different add pack. So I think that’s why a couple numbers are different but the Properties are pretty close. How come they didn’t run the TBN the first time? Plus I doubt they we’re using a good filter. 

 

I was foolish and did not pay for the TBN report. It was like another $10, but I did not read all the details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
markbrit
7 hours ago, Dogwood said:

 

Interesting that you posted your Blackstone report.  I've used them multiple times and whenever I've inquired they stated that synthetic oils offered no advantages over regular dino oil.  

 

 

I guess the big advantage to me is crawling under the truck every 10k miles versus 3k with conventional oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stephen brown
On 2/6/2020 at 1:37 AM, terrym said:

I change the oil in my Ram 5.7hemi every 10,000 kilometres ( owners manual recommends every 16,000 kms). Only use synthetic. I’m at 320,000 kilometres now and it feels like new and burns @ 1/3 litre in 10,000k intervals. What I also do that my mechanic says is quite rare is do a transmission oil change once a year. I don’t get engine or tranny failures. 

 

 I have an Altima with 200K. Use conventional 5W30 change at 3k-5k interval. I don't keep track of the oil loss rate, just do the interval change.  3.5L engine moves the car w/o blue exhaust.  

 

Maybe I'll schedule  CVT service.  Had CVT service at 110k.  I can save money selling at 225K.  Friend says I've been lucky and leave that sleeping dog alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogwood
On 2/6/2020 at 8:00 PM, markbrit said:

 

I guess the big advantage to me is crawling under the truck every 10k miles versus 3k with conventional oil.

 

Yes but Blackstone maintained on some of my previous dino oil car samples that I could have gone to 8-10000 mile changes  and stayed with dino oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RookieEP
1 hour ago, stephen brown said:

 

 I have an Altima with 200K. Use conventional 5W30 change at 3k-5k interval. I don't keep track of the oil loss rate, just do the interval change.  3.5L engine moves the car w/o blue exhaust.  

 

Maybe I'll schedule  CVT service.  Had CVT service at 110k.  I can save money selling at 225K.  Friend says I've been lucky and leave that sleeping dog alone.

Fear of doing maintenance makes no sense to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
markbrit
18 hours ago, Dogwood said:

 

Yes but Blackstone maintained on some of my previous dino oil car samples that I could have gone to 8-10000 mile changes  and stayed with dino oil.

 

Wow that doesn't sounds right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stephen brown
On 2/10/2020 at 5:26 PM, RookieEP said:
On 2/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, stephen brown said:

 

 I have an Altima with 200K. Use conventional 5W30 change at 3k-5k interval. I don't keep track of the oil loss rate, just do the interval change.  3.5L engine moves the car w/o blue exhaust.  

 

Maybe I'll schedule  CVT service.  Had CVT service at 110k.  I can save money selling at 225K.  Friend says I've been lucky and leave that sleeping dog alone.

Fear of doing maintenance makes no sense to me.

 

It's not the service cost, it's the transmission replacement cost. Probably not a good idea to change transmission fluid in a high mileage vehicle that has transmission serviced at 100,000 miles intervals. Replacing dirty sludge with clean will probably cause more headaches. I've been told that many times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogwood
8 hours ago, markbrit said:

 

Wow that doesn't sounds right?


The vehicle was a Toyota Sequoia 05 with 125k on it.  Submitted a Dino oil with 6000 on it. Wear issues were within spec as was the viscosity gobltygook parameters and the said let it go to 10 k.

 

This was 6-7 years ago. Their perspective as I recall was that in general synthetic oils were a waste of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
markbrit
23 minutes ago, Dogwood said:


The vehicle was a Toyota Sequoia 05 with 125k on it.  Submitted a Dino oil with 6000 on it. Wear issues were within spec as was the viscosity gobltygook parameters and the said let it go to 10 k.

 

This was 6-7 years ago. Their perspective as I recall was that in general synthetic oils were a waste of money.

Got a copy of the report?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogwood
On 2/11/2020 at 9:14 PM, markbrit said:

Got a copy of the report?

No I sold the vehicle a 3 years ago. I’ll contact Blackstone and ask for a copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogwood
On 2/11/2020 at 9:14 PM, markbrit said:

Got a copy of the report?

 

I stand corrected.  Blackstone maintains that using synthetic oils allows you to change oil less frequently than dino oil but beyond that offers no distinct advantages.  It was the gist of an online topic presented by them via email, among others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×