10,000 Mile Oil Changes?? New Vehicle Break In Period??

Craig Doherty

My last two Chevy trucks have a percentage count down for oil life.  gets below 5% at about 7500 miles -- have the dealer change it with synthetic and rotate the tires at the same time. If I was in the business of selling oil changes I'm sure I'd write 3,000 miles for the next change on the window sticker as well.

2018 Silverrado

91A8BDDE-EE98-4D62-A3B7-AFF8AF6DF9B2.thumb.jpeg.1719b6d5ba35a7c7a7e6e64265f473e6.jpeg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jazz4Brazo

• Dogwood

• dogrunner

• markbrit

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always adhered to oil changes are cheap so why not...will probably continue the same with these 2 using the synthetic at around the 7500 mark 🙂   Here's a pic of the new hunting rig...h

My 2017 Chevy Duramax still had a break in period they wanted you to observe. Since I intend to drive it for many years, I followed it.   Regarding extended oil changes. I made my living wor

Posted Images

I was mighty surprised at the synthetic/10k oil change when I got my ‘18 Tundra and that’s what I’ve done.   I always did every 5k with normal oil on my old Tundra and it went 335k without any issues.  

Great looking ride Pierre!

Jazz4Brazo

Thanks...pretty stoked and looking forward to getting it out on the backroads of the NorthEast 😍

If I was in the business of selling new cars, I'm sure I'd put 10,000 mile oil change intervals in the manual, too. 

I use synthetic and have since the mid-90's. I always changed it at 10K, in fact up until I'd put about 225K on my Dodge Caravan 10K was when I'd need to add my first quart, instead I'd just change the oil. At 265K it now goes about 8K before I need to add a quart. Also for the last 40K I've been changing the oil every 14K. Synthetic oil is a great product and I wouldn't consider using anything else. That said, I agree with the 1K oil change on a new engine, though I'd use regular oil for economy sake. BTW when I lived up north I had no trouble starting my cars when it was 25 below zero.

Steve

PS my Caravan is currently mortally wounded with a blown transaxle but the engine still runs great... so sad!

I read somewhere its not the oil but the filter that needs to be changed around that 5000 mile mark. 

1 hour ago, SODAKer said:

I read somewhere its not the oil but the filter that needs to be changed around that 5000 mile mark. 

However, they do make 10,000 mile filters now. They just cost a few dollars more.

Steve

Jazz4Brazo

And as Dogrunner pointed out...20,000 Mile filters... who knew??

2EFAB9DF-4926-4B5C-A145-67E37134F6DE.thumb.jpeg.dbbbfa8263d5a4f44732b0cfedd48cc6.jpeg

Ten thousand miles sounds like way to much to me. But I realize that's what they are calling for. I wonder though if the oil they are calling for is a specially formulated toyota oil with some type additives that the trucks/cars do well on.  

How about spin off the oil filter at five and replace and then continue on to the ten thousand mark. Myself even running synthetic oil I wouldn't go past 5000 miles. Its your engines life blood. (JMHO) 

One would think, given Toyota's sterling reputation for vehicle dependability, that if they engineered and manufactured the engines they would recommend oil change intervals that could be trusted with confidence.  Seems somewhat foolhardy to do otherwise. 

Change the oil every 50 miles if it makes you sleep better. 

There is NO WAY an auto manufacturer would willfully recommend an oil change interval that they KNEW would cause the engine to fail before its time. That is a lawyer's wet dream.

The last three vehicles we've had have an oil life gauge. I have our's changed when the oil life reading is somewhere between 10-20%. It just depends if there is a longer trip coming up.

chilly460

Maybe I'm just dense, but just cannot understand how an oil filter can be designed in such a way as to go 20k....assuming that the max life for a filter is normally say 10k.  You have a set filter size, you have filter media of a set size to filter out impurities of a certain size.  How is there going to be a difference in that filter, within these parameters, that's going to magically make it able to filter effectively for a longer period?  Either they're enlarging the media to allow larger impurities to pass to not become blocked and go into bypass...or...?  

Seems from the anecdotal evidence that it simply doesn't matter as guys are clearly going 10k between changes and running them over 200k with no issues.  Guess I'm a dinosaur thinking 5k was stretching it.  

2 hours ago, Dogwood said:

One would think, given Toyota's sterling reputation for vehicle dependability, that if they engineered and manufactured the engines they would recommend oil change intervals that could be trusted with confidence.  Seems somewhat foolhardy to do otherwise. 

With no auto transmission fluid dipstick on newer vehicles and no factory requirement that the fluid be changed, I wonder. 

15 hours ago, FlyChamps said:

Both of our off-warranty Subaru's use 0W-20 synthetic and I change at 10K or 1 year.

That's what the manual reads for our daughter's Audi A3 - 10K or 1 year.  She has a maintenance program where Audi does everything including wiper blades for 4 years.  They use synthetic.  Her last change was about 8K and right at 1 year.

Our '12 MDX has the computer in it where it tracks usage but I'm finding that I'll change the oil, a semi-synthetic, at 30 to 40% instead of waiting until below 20%.  Just changed it at 6,500 miles/40%, I didn't like the color of the oil, too dark.  On our '11 G37, the oil is changed every 5k with semi-synthetic even though the manual says 3K for extreme temps like we see in HOU.  In that car, at 5K the oil always looks pretty decent.   All the above use 5W-20.

My view is that today's engines using synthetic or semi-synthetic will go a lot further than our cars back in the day with dino 10W-30 or 10W-40 oils.  Filter tech has also improved while modern engines are just tighter.

12 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

If I was in the business of selling new cars, I'm sure I'd put 10,000 mile oil change intervals in the manual, too. 

I've wondered about this. ^  A good buddy sells Jags and Land Rovers, he says they are told that new cars today are fine going to 10K and he plans to follow this schedule with a new Jag he bought last year.   He used to sell Lexus and said it's true of their cars as well.  This guy is a real "car nut" and he's been a good person to know when I'm looking for new rides.