REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
BrentD

In need of an E collar

BrentD

I'm looking for a new e collar for my golden, Gus.  The two we had (Dogtra) are finally toast - and good riddance. I cursed them often, though they were effective - just poorly designed.  

So who makes the best collars now?  I definitely want a vibrator mode which is what I use 99% of the time.  It helps me get Gus's attention and he can see where I am or where I'm pointing without me making a lot of noise that only serves to alert birds and disrupt whatever passes for serenity in an Iowa landscape.  Otherwise the only reason I really need the shocking part is when he insists on chasing deer, as he did today - this one being dead and lying just below the county highway.  He has mostly learned to not run the live ones, but dead is too much.  

One that has even sorta decent ergonomics would be nice too.   My main gripe with Dogtra is that its transmitter was designed by an alien lifeform that came from a universe where the laws of physics were exactly contrary to our own.  

Anyway, what's favored out there today?  Light for the dog, easy and quick to use for me (with gloves), dependable.  With a vibrator.  Any other features that I don't know I want?  

Thanks

terrym

Dogtra. 

Remo

I like Sportdog, tone, vibe, juice, Model SDTOO-13819.

uplandave
2 minutes ago, terrym said:

Dogtra. 

Me too. I have the 200C model which is very easy to use for all in my house. Dave

paul frey

I like Garmin. You’ll get a lot of different opinions and you know what they say about opinions. Everyone has one and everybody else’s stinks!😀😀. My Garmin is still the old Trtronics field 90? G3. Run 3 dogs off of it. Has tone and juice. If I was to get a new one I think I would get the Pro50

BrentD

Dogtra?  Really.  Damn I hate that thing.  

terrym
Just now, BrentD said:

Dogtra?  Really.  Damn I hate that thing.  

I sold my Garmin and went with a Dogtra. Will never go back. 

BrentD
Just now, terrym said:

I sold my Garmin and went with a Dogtra. Will never go back. 

Which dogtra?  

terrym
1 minute ago, BrentD said:

Which dogtra?  

2500 T&B. Not what you need though. No vibrate function and it has a beeper which isn’t what you’re looking for. I just find the build quality and functionality excellent. Took 8 years for the batteries to wear out and they were cheap and easily installed by myself. 

Ray Gubernat

I have an old, and I do mean OLD...Tritronics unit.  With the unit hanging by my side, I can hit the correct button, or buttons, change intensity, whatever, without even glancing away.  I know the unit by feel.  

A couple years ago I needed a unit with vibrate and tone for a very sensitive dog I was working with.   I discovered the Sportdog 1825 which has a barrel type transmitter, very similar to my Flyway Special and it has tone and vibrate functions.  

It has waaaay  more functions than I need but once it is set up, it is simple to use and I can do most of what I need to do without taking my eyes off the dog.

I recently lost the transmitter on the 1825.   It must have dropped off the Mule while I was driving.   Looked for it for three days with no luck.   I wound up replacing it and this time I wrapped the new one in  orange and yellow electrical tape.   

This one works for me.

RayG

gaberdeen

Look up educator collars. I use the mini educator. Very pleased with it.

readgriff

Garmin Pro 550 

You can’t go wrong long battery life,tone ,vibrate,light 👍

Irishwhistler

Dogtra Edge RT for me 👍👌.   I was a longtime Tri-Tronics  customer until they were bought out by Garmin 😩 - NEVER GOING BACK !

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

BrentD

Irishwhistler, what do you dislike about Garmin/Tritronics specifically?  The Garmin Sport Pro looks pretty hard to beat for what I want.  

GlennW

Garmin Alpha has been great for me!

Glenn