REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
BrentD

In need of an E collar

john mcg

The Alpha is the bees knees. The set up for tone, vibrate and zap is great. I set one of the three buttons for each mode. Since having GPS, I can't hardly imagine not having it running a dog.

Folks complain about it being complicated to use, but this just isn't so. If you understand it and get it set up, it is as simple as pie.

A big running dog can move from 180 degrees on the compass in a blink...a mere blink, I say.

🙂

GlennW
3 hours ago, john mcg said:

Since having GPS, I can't hardly imagine not having it

Ran my little setter pup down from a mile away in the UP this year,could of been gone without it! I use mine daily,I can keep tabs on my three dogs all at one time.I have owned mine for several years,it has been gold.If I am hunting a new place I leave one collar on in the truck,funny how you can lose something as big as a truck!

Glenn

john mcg
25 minutes ago, GlennW said:

Ran my little setter pup down from a mile away in the UP this year,could of been gone without it! I use mine daily,I can keep tabs on my three dogs all at one time.I have owned mine for several years,it has been gold.If I am hunting a new place I leave one collar on in the truck,funny how you can lose something as big as a truck!

Glenn

Are you aware that when beginning a 'new hunt' there is a choice of marking the location of the 'truck'?

At any time, after doing so--you can tell the unit to lead you back to the truck.

GlennW
9 minutes ago, john mcg said:

marking the location of the 'truck'?

Yes,I usually mark the truck,and any coveys that I find,but if a collar is on in the truck ,the truck comes up on the screen along with the dogs so I know at a glance where the truck is in relation to me and how far it is away so I do not have to change any screens to see this.I find it to be pretty handy like this.I think this unit will will track up to 20 dogs and it has good range also.I have a Sportdog upland hunter that has been great too,but It does not have gps,I really like the gps.

Glenn

BIRDDOG 307

Brent for what you need the Garmin Sport Pro would work very nicely.

Birddog 307

Urban_Redneck

For training, I went from the Sport Pro to the Dogtra Edge RT. I miss the light once in a while, but the consistency of the stim and ergonomics are much better with the Dogtra. She wears an Alpha when hunting.

BrentD

urban, what do you mean by "consistency"?  Ergonomics with my old Dogtra could not be much worse but that is old and irrelevant news at this point. The ergonomics of the Sport Pro look good to me.  What am I missing?

WPG Gizmo

When you say Ergonomics what are you talking about did you not like the way the handheld was designed or was it the collar you didnt like.  My Dogtra is old I run the 2002 T&B or the 2000 T&B other then the switch you have to flip on the double they are exactly the same.  I like the size of the handheld and the layout of the buttons while it does not have vibration it has tone and that is what gets used 99% of the time when I need to correct the dogs.  What I recommend is find a shop that has a bunch of different brands and go play touchy feely with them one will stand out as being more comfortable to what you want then the others go with that one.  

max2
1 hour ago, BrentD said:

urban, what do you mean by "consistency"?  Ergonomics with my old Dogtra could not be much worse but that is old and irrelevant news at this point. The ergonomics of the Sport Pro look good to me.  What am I missing?

I had the 200 ncp gold and loved it. I gave it to my mentor after my last dog passed. I once closed it in the tailgate of my truck. cracked it right in half. Glued it but did have to bring a magnet with me to turn the receiver on after that. The unit never failed. Now someone just mentioned the garmin sport pro. I looked earlier to see what it looked like. To me it looks a lot like my old dogtra.

gunsrus

I have the Alpha now with the Garmin Fenix watch . Don't really need the beeper anymore but for years the Dogtra 2000TB and later the Dogtra 2500 TB . Both still work and were flawless . I would get another in a heartbeat . 

I had a SportDog , maybe 1750 that crapped out almost brand new , used as a backup . SportDog discontinued the unit at a year old and would do nothing to fix it saying they did not have the parts as it was discontinued . I will NEVER buy another SportDog product . 

Urban_Redneck
21 hours ago, BrentD said:

I use very low stim levels with my dog. The SportPro lacked consistent stim at low levels, forcing me to constantly switch between 1, 2, and sometimes 3. I made the mistake of not throttling back down twice, that was enough. The Edge RT allows me to apply low, med, high, (constant or momentary) stim, and vibe without counting clicks or taking my eyes off the dog. I also find the ergos of the tube style much superior.

Irishwhistler
On 2/7/2020 at 8:59 AM, BrentD said:

Irishwhistler, what do you dislike about Garmin/Tritronics specifically?  The Garmin Sport Pro looks pretty hard to beat for what I want.  

Their "planned obsolescence' and piss poor customer support based on my own experience as a former loyal customer.  I loved the company and their products prior to their buyout by Garmin.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪

Jacksdad

Funny i thought i was the only guy on the planet who didn't care for Garmin.  Since the advent of commonly available handheld GPS i've thought Garmin does a terrible job with interface.  Went with Magellan almost 20 years ago for duck hunting and found it to be a far superior product.  On to boats and the Garmin stuff, IME, has been a distant second to Lowrance/Simrad for simple yet effective interfacing.  

Not that i don't trust their tech, just never have liked their implementation.  Am going to go with the Pro 550 + for the dog based on reputation and simplicity.  The Alpha looks like a neat thing to have but the comments i've read about getting lost in the various screens and clunkiness ring true to my experience with the brand.  

studdog

For a basic collar, Sportdog makes many good models.  I like the 825X.  In fact,  I have a brand new one in box unopened I won. I would sell it for $100,00 plus shipping.  Interest please PM me. 

Jalinkly

Is the Garmin Alpha the only option with gps?  With two young dogs, gps is the primary feature that I want.