Treerooster

Need A New Truck UPDATED...got one

Treerooster

I need a new hunting vehicle and not sure if I will buy new or slightly used. I had F150's forever but was thinking of going a little smaller. 

Thinking Ford Ranger or Toyota Tacoma. Might go back to a 150 or maybe consider a Tundra.

I know the tacoma has had a good reputation but saw a report not long ago that they new ones aren't as dependable as past models.

Any advice or experiences...god or bad?

Henry Rackliff

I bought a 2010 4 door Tacoma last year.  It has the 5 ft bed and I would prefer the 6 ft but it works.  Had about 190,000 on it when I bought it and the frame and underbody had just been replaced under warranty.  I bought it from my mechanic and he had gone through the truck.  Nothing really fancy, and although I knew they are good trucks and would fit the need I had, I'm surprised how much I like it.  Does everything I want it to do.  Didn't pay a ton, although Toyota's get a fair price used, but it's solid and I feel we will run another 100,000 on it.  Lots of good trucks out there now but I do like this one.

Brad Eden

Tacoma. My second truck was a small Toyota Truck before they named it Tacoma. Never a glitch, a real goat. This one had the 6cyl. Have had two Tundras since. May go back to the Tacoma this summer. My first truck, bought new in mid 80’s was a Ranger. Huge mistake. But, the new ones look really nice, and I will likely take a hard look, but the Tacoma is time tested.

C.J.L.

I had two small Toyotas and then a T-100 and liked them all.  Wish they still made the mid-size T-100 and smaller size Tundra. Honestly I don't like the new bigger Tundras and think the Tacomas are over priced.  I don't care if they will go for half a million miles and have good resale, I don't want to be driving an old truck with 500,000 miles on it anyways.  

A GF had a new Ranger as a loaner this past summer for a few weeks while her car was being fixed after her daughter backed into it. I liked that Ranger a lot.  It was more of what a mid-size truck should be and it drove nice.  Long term???? Beats me but it was nice.  I did look at them on auto trader earlier this month because I'm also getting a new truck and they are not cheap either.  Sticking to Titans I'm 99.9% sure unless a super deal drops in my lap.  

Korthaar

I really feel like the rangers and Colorados are as big as full sized trucks now. It's all plastic, now anyway. I have 05 f150 with 60k on it. It's paid for and I will run it into the ground.

terrym

I don’t think there is a bad truck on the market but sometimes the cult like following for Toyota is a head scratcher. If Dodge had to recall trucks to replace the frames that would be catastrophic, unforgivable.   I mean that’s no small recall. But....it’s a Toyota. My buddy’s Tundra has been such a lemon we refuse to allow it on our moose hunts. Of course generally speaking Toyota make good products. The best car I ever owned was a made in Japan Camry XLE. Nothing and I mean nothing ever failed. Just normal maintenance. 
They’re all getting bigger than they need to be. Trades, construction companies and people who tow RV’s and boats used to get by with what now are midsized trucks. Just sayin. 

GLS

Here's the dilemma:  the Tacoma gives poor gas mileage compared with the Ranger.  However the Ranger accomplishes this by turboing a 4 cylinder.  Everything I've read about turbochargers or superchargers states it decreases the longevity of an engine.  It's too early to tell with the new engine in the Ford.  The big complaint about Toyota is that it is old school, well older school, technology compared with some trucks.  To me, tried and true, sold me and continues to sell me on Toyotas.  I drive a 2003 Sequoia I bought new in May of 2003 and a 2016 4Runner I bought used with 30500 miles in September.  The Sequoia helps keep the miles off the 4Runner and sports 225,000 miles.  I had a 1997 T100 with 177,000 miles on it that I reluctantly turned in for $4700 credit against a 2010 Outback for my daughter in the cash for clunker program back in 2010.  I like keeping two vehicles handy; sorta like having two bird dogs of different ages.   It's nice having a Plan B.  Oh, what a feeling.... Gil

Rogue Hunter

I've had four Tacomas over the last thirty years, all have been very good vehicles, until my current one. This one, a 2010, seems to have been made on a Monday...first, a wheel bearing, then struts, onto U-joints, and of course, the frame. I paid for the wheel bearing, Toyota paid for the rest. All this before 100,000 miles. This last truck has shaken my confidence in Toyota. I may look at a F-150 or Ranger next time.

GLS

A turkey hunting buddy drives his original 1987 Toyota.  At 275,000 miles he replaced the engine with a new engine that was given to him in a wrecked truck that had been totaled. The old 22 series 4 cylinder.  It was fuel injected which he removed and replaced with a 2 barrel carb.  He hasn't paid the consequences of fixing something not broken.  He surprised me when he recently bought a new Colorado with its gizmo engine that gets 25 mph on the road when it shuts down cylinders.  It's too bad we  learn which years of mfg. are good or bad for Ford and Toyota after we buy them new or with low mileage used. On the plus side for turbos and longevity, the rumor is Land Cruiser will offer a six cylinder version next year's model.  That Toyota engineers have given their stamp of approval on a vehicle designed for 25 years of life in third world countries portends well for turbos.  Gil.  

stwilgefortis

I have owned three Toyotas. I had a Highlander the first year they came out. The air conditioning died at 200,000 miles after about 10 years.I pulled a friend’s suburban out of his icy driveway with it. Best car I ever owned.Cost me $1000 to fix the ac.I next owned a RAV4; put 120 ,000miles on it, never in the shop. Super peppy, just not enough room for 2 large sons and 2 bird dogs.And  not enough towing capacity for my needs. And now I have a forerunner with 80,000 on it, never in the shop .Toyotas are built to last and not go in the shop. They are not very interested in bells and whistle‘s -just real functional vehicles. I don’t know a thing about the Ranger or the Tacoma. Had a friend that had a tacoma and loved it. I can’t imagine a contest in which I would pick another vehicle over a Toyota

Edited by stwilgefortis
Mistake

dogrunner
11 hours ago, Korthaar said:

I really feel like the rangers and Colorados are as big as full sized trucks now. It's all plastic, now anyway. I have 05 f150 with 60k on it. It's paid for and I will run it into the ground.

The Ranger is not as big as a F150, especially on the inside. 

dogrunner
12 hours ago, GLS said:

Here's the dilemma:  the Tacoma gives poor gas mileage compared with the Ranger.  However the Ranger accomplishes this by turboing a 4 cylinder.  Everything I've read about turbochargers or superchargers states it decreases the longevity of an engine.  It's too early to tell with the new engine in the Ford.  The big complaint about Toyota is that it is old school, well older school, technology compared with some trucks.  To me, tried and true, sold me and continues to sell me on Toyotas.  I drive a 2003 Sequoia I bought new in May of 2003 and a 2016 4Runner I bought used with 30500 miles in September.  The Sequoia helps keep the miles off the 4Runner and sports 225,000 miles.  I had a 1997 T100 with 177,000 miles on it that I reluctantly turned in for $4700 credit against a 2010 Outback for my daughter in the cash for clunker program back in 2010.  I like keeping two vehicles handy; sorta like having two bird dogs of different ages.   It's nice having a Plan B.  Oh, what a feeling.... Gil

Ford  Ecoboost turbo motors have been around since 2010 and are now in almost every vehicle except the Superduty so its not like there new to the market. 

River19

Drive them all.  It's the internet, everyone finds a reason to justify what they chose or like.

They are all "good" with subtle differences between them depending on what you want.  They do all drive differently, the taco feels most "truck-like" with the Ranger and Colorado feeling more refined and car-like/SUV like.

No substitute for driving what you can.

jeff88

Check out Edmunds vehicle reviews and scroll down to their consumer reviews.  While I find their internal vehicle reviewers to be unbiased, the consumer reviews are the best source of info.  

Flush
20 hours ago, Treerooster said:

I know the tacoma has had a good reputation but saw a report not long ago that they new ones aren't as dependable as past models.

I don't know what report you saw, and perhaps that is true, but show me any report that has Ford with higher dependability than Toyota.

I'm not bashing Ford, I own a Ford truck and would happily buy another, but if dependability is a primary concern you can't do better than Toyota as a brand. That doesn't mean if you buy a Toyota you won't have problems, but Toyota is proven to have higher dependability than Ford (or any other domestic brand) in any measurable metric over and over and over.

You might like and prefer a Ranger, it might actually be a better vehicle than a Tacoma for your wants and needs, but you are kidding yourself if you think going with a  new model from Ford is going to be statistically equal or better dependability than a Toyota, even if Toyota has seen some slip relative to past performance. Again the Ranger may prove to be perfectly dependable, many components of it are not new, and in many ways (fuel economy for example) it may perform better than the Tacoma, but if dependability is the primary driver, by any data-driven metric (not some guy on the internet that tells you his Ford was awesome and his Toyota junk) Toyota has a clear advantage.