Need A New Truck UPDATED...got one

Own the vehicle you find most comfortable with the desired features you like and you will be happiest. This Trumps dependability IME.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogrunner

• Brad Eden

• GLS

• Treerooster

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I bought a new pickup. 2019 F150. 4-door with 6 1/2' bed, 5.0 engine and got the 36 gal tank. That's pretty much what was important to me except the 4-door, would have preferred the super cab but

I bought a 2019 Ranger Super-Crew last June, with a towing "package" and an off-road "package".  I needed a new truck as my old shooting brake was getting long in the tooth.  I did not need a full siz

If/when I buy another truck, unless there's something much better out by then, it'll be the 2.7L F150 ecoboost with double cab and 4x4 and as few other options as I can get. A lot better economy and a

Posted Images

As long as you have extra vacation to be stuck on the side of the road or waiting on repairs.  Ill take dependability over gadgets and comfort 

dogrunner
7 minutes ago, RookieEP said:

As long as you have extra vacation to be stuck on the side of the road or waiting on repairs.  Ill take dependability over gadgets and comfort 

I want both. 😉

Jazz4Brazo

As Steve said...it's the internet so here goes...had an 06 Tacoma and really enjoyed it until rust reared its ugly head...Toyota replaced the frame (great and included proper leaf springs this go around) but what they did not replace was everything else that rusted out including the rear differential so when it came time to buy again I first had to decide did I really need a truck and the answer was no so I went with the 4Runner (it drives and sounds like a truck...it should since it's on a truck frame and has the throaty TRD exhaust) and I am very happy (can't believe how comfortable the seats are all around).  The Tacoma has its following but is pricey and had I been looking a trucks in that size I think I would have leaned heavily towards the Ranger (that Turbo doesn't scare me as much as it enthralls me...BTW Magnuson, who made the early TRD Turbos for Toyota, makes a Turbo for the 4Runner if I ever need an extra 30% in HP 😱).

Good luck in your search!!!

J4B

Here's a 2017 6 minute clip of a man interviewing Ford technicians at a Ford shop about which engine they'd prefer in an F150.  Granted, it's not the 4 cylinder and some liked the torque of the bigger block for towing rather than the EB 6,  but there were comments regarding "all the plumbing of the EB".  All but one tech voted for the 5.0 over the EB with expense of repair if something goes wrong with the complex EB system a concern.  Note the old fart taking a smoke break who appears to be getting ready to go to the movies as he is seen picking his seat at the end of the interview. If this won't be the last truck you own, and plan on selling it shortly after the warranty runs out, then by all means, buy what suits you best.  I prefer simplicity over complexity when it comes to engines.  OMMV.  Gil

Greg Hartman

I bought a 2019 Ranger Super-Crew last June, with a towing "package" and an off-road "package".  I needed a new truck as my old shooting brake was getting long in the tooth.  I did not need a full sized truck because I am not a farmer or contractor, but I live way back in the sticks and have lots of daily use for a truck, from towing my sailboat, to hauling rocks, firewood, etc, to getting in and out of my place in bad weather, to serving as a hunting vehicle.  Since this may be my last new truck and I keep my vehicles for a long time, I wanted a really nice one with all the modern bells and whistles.  

There were two criteria that the new truck had to meet.  One was that the vehicle needed to be capable of being easily flat-towed behind my motorhome without modification.  The need to tow it precluded any Toyota product; and also pushed me toward a mid-size truck and away from a full-size truck.  The other was really good off-road capability.  I don't do rock-crawling or the like, but do need to be able to get way back into some pretty rough places and (more importantly) to be able to get back out.

So far, I REALLY like the truck.  It serves very well as daily transportation - and is much handier around town, parking and such, than a full-size truck.  The little 4 cylinder engine (which was my biggest concern when considering the Ranger) is amazingly powerful - the truck will really get up and go when needed!  It will tow heavy loads, etc.  AND I get over 20 mpg around town - better in the highway.  It rides like a truck, but the seats are very comfortable, plenty of room for four people front and back, good visibility.  The 10 speed tranny is seamless - always seems to be in the right gear and is so quick and quiet, you don't even notice.  The modern electronic gadgets and sound system are terrific and very helpful - like the back-up camera that anticipates where you will be going - but since I had never owned a modern vehicle before, maybe this kind of thing is standard now.  It tows behind the motorhome like a roller-skate and I can set it up to flat tow in seconds without leaving the driver's seat.  The bed and load capacity are plenty for me (but might not be enough for a contractor or farmer).The off-road ability of this truck is nothing short of amazing to me.  As noted above, I don't do this intentionally or for fun, but last fall we found ourselves in places in Montana where the Jeep would have floundered.  The Ranger handled those conditions with aplomb.  There are settings for sand, mud, snow, grass, etc and they seem very effective.

The thing I liked the least about it was the price.  I was horrified about the cost, but I had no purchased a new vehicle for many years and I guess I was behind the times.

Also - do NOT buy an ARE cap.  Mine has been horrible.  Always bought Leer before.  Will NEVER buy ARE again!

One size certainly does not fit all when it comes to trucks, but the Ranger has proven to be perfect for me. 

10-9-19 - Camping fun

10-3-19 - Glacier scenes - 3

2 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Own the vehicle you find most comfortable with the desired features you like and you will be happiest. This Trumps dependability IME.

That is certainly the thinking of the domestic auto makers in a nutshell and has been for some time.

Toyota has a slightly different approach. 

Neither is right or wrong, but you can see the difference in the results of the products they make. The domestics have reasonable dependability and Toyota has reasonable comfort and features, but it's pretty obvious they take different approaches in where to prioritize. 

For large trucks the domestic makers absolutely own the market. Conversely the best selling non-truck vehicle in the US is a Toyota (Rav4). Toyota also sells the best selling sedan in the US (Camry) and they sell the best selling mid-sized truck in the US (Tacoma). From what I can tell despite having the highest sales in each of those three segments, none of those Toyota vehicles blow the competition away in terms of features, in fact they are usually lacking in that department. What they do have is dependability.

Luckily as consumers we have a lot of choices in such things. 

I bought a new Tacoma in 09, double cab, long bed.  I drove it for about 60k miles, three years, and then traded it for a much larger truck because my needs changed.  I liked the Tacoma a lot and mine was 100% dependable, nothing ever broke.  I'd had three previous F150's so it took a little getting used to because there is less room.  Hunting with two dog crates in the back and my hunting buddy and I plus all our gear, we were comfortable.  Smaller footprint made running some of those backwoods two tracks a pleasure compared to a larger vehicle and I was never able to get the thing stuck anywhere.  I was surprised how well the value held up when I traded, better than my previous F150's for sure as a percentage of original cost.  Gas mileage was the only disappointment to me.  Because it was smaller and had a six cylinder engine I thought it would get better mileage but it averaged around 16 mpg the entire time I had it.  I could easily get that with a full size pickup today.

salmontogue

I have to laugh when I see Toyota TRD.  I think they forgot the U.  I have owned three, a Tundra and two Tacomas.  All had dreadful fuel economy.  The Tundra was a nice truck but really frightening when towing anything over 3000# at highway speeds.  It was not designed for anything resembling real work.  The Tacomas were uncomfortable and technologically behind the times.  Both were purchased new and sold with less than 50K miles after too many service visits, fortunately under warranty.  My wife hated the Tacomas.  The resale on all three was quite good proving, in my mind, that there is a butt for every seat.  There are too many good trucks that are real trucks and not play toys.  My experience, YMMV.

Perk

dogrunner
2 hours ago, GLS said:

Here's a 2017 6 minute clip of a man interviewing Ford technicians at a Ford shop about which engine they'd prefer in an F150.  Granted, it's not the 4 cylinder and some liked the torque of the bigger block for towing rather than the EB 6,  but there were comments regarding "all the plumbing of the EB".  All but one tech voted for the 5.0 over the EB with expense of repair if something goes wrong with the complex EB system a concern.  Note the old fart taking a smoke break who appears to be getting ready to go to the movies as he is seen picking his seat at the end of the interview. If this won't be the last truck you own, and plan on selling it shortly after the warranty runs out, then by all means, buy what suits you best.  I prefer simplicity over complexity when it comes to engines.  OMMV.  Gil

I wouldn't call those guys Pros most of them acted like they never drove them or knew much about either motor. 

5 hours ago, RookieEP said:

That extreme is relatively rare IME.  I've owned all kinds of domestics and imports and have never been stranded.  Even the so-called low reliability  modern vehicles are not that much less so then the top end vehicles.  If my 08 Ford Expedition V8 breaks down in Aberdeen SD I can assure you a local mechanic can deal with it pronto plus parts.  Not so much a Toyota etc.  Away from the coasts this is significant.

I've owned 4 Toyota vehicles and in every single one the seat ergonomics/comfort absolutely sucked for any drive longer than an hour.  05 Sequoia, 01 Highlander,  05 4Runner,  05 Landcruiser.   I so wanted to love them given their reputation for reliability but I simply could not.  

Brad Eden

Different strokes for different strokes. I like the Toyota truck interior ergonomics as much as there reliability. They fit me to a tee. And the Gen 1 Tundra hasn't been referred to as the Camry of trucks as far as comfortable ride for nothing.  (I’ve never driven in a newer Tundra) I feel like a wart in a sea of vinyl in most other brand truck cabs, and almost had to replace a kidney after a long road trip into the north woods in a friends new GMC.

salmontogue
19 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Different strokes for different strokes. I like the Toyota truck interior ergonomics as much as there reliability. They fit me to a tee. And the Gen 1 Tundra hasn't been referred to as the Camry of trucks as far as comfortable ride for nothing.  (I’ve never driven in a newer Tundra) I feel like a wart in a sea of vinyl in most other brand truck cabs, and almost had to replace a kidney after a long road trip into the north woods in a friends new GMC.

"A wart in a sea of vinyl"....conjures up an interesting image.  I have never owned a pickup or SUV with vinyl seats, which can be bloody awful uncomfortable.  Mine have been mostly leather with a few in nifty fabric.  Perhaps I should have taken a selfie to see if I resemble a wart.

Perk

Treerooster

I think I may resemble a wart even when I am not in a pickup. 🙂

Hey I'm an old fart so that's my excuse.