Need A New Truck UPDATED...got one

A few years ago my sister wanted to go from an SUV to a pick-up and enlisted me to help her.  We talked and narrowed it down to either the newly re-introduced Honda Ridgeline and the Tacoma.  (The new Rangers were not out yet and would have been considered.)  After test drives of both rides in 2wd and awd, research, pricing exercises I came back with my considered 🤔 recommendation:  Hands down, the Ridgeline AWD.  It was better than the Taco in every way from ride, handling, fuel economy, driving position/seat comfort, cargo capacity, features and the Toyota equal for reliability.  Also I had prepared an offer sheet for her to use when buying the new truck for both.  She bought the Taco.  Why you may ask?  It looked more like a truck and that's what she wanted, a truck.  She did use my offer sheet in very smart way, she produced it and told the dealer she had this offer from another dealer, showed the Honda one too and then told them if they beat this Taco total price by $850 she'd buy one right then and there.  And they did.

Now for those who really need an off-roader on some nasty tracks, yup, I'm all in for a Taco or Ranger.  That is the only reason I would pick one of those two over the Honda.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogrunner

• Brad Eden

• GLS

• Treerooster

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I bought a new pickup. 2019 F150. 4-door with 6 1/2' bed, 5.0 engine and got the 36 gal tank. That's pretty much what was important to me except the 4-door, would have preferred the super cab but

I bought a 2019 Ranger Super-Crew last June, with a towing "package" and an off-road "package".  I needed a new truck as my old shooting brake was getting long in the tooth.  I did not need a full siz

If/when I buy another truck, unless there's something much better out by then, it'll be the 2.7L F150 ecoboost with double cab and 4x4 and as few other options as I can get. A lot better economy and a

Posted Images

Greg Hartman
2 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Now for those who really need an off-roader on some nasty tracks, yup, I'm all in for a Taco or Ranger.  That is the only reason I would pick one of those two over the Honda.

The Honda is a pretty and apparently well made vehicle that looks like a real truck, but isn’t.  Also, the cannot be flat towed.

Bullwinkle
5 hours ago, GLS said:

Moons ago, I spent a couple of months at Fort Polk learning to be a killer of M151 jeeps, as a "Light Wheel Vehicle Mechanic", 53B.  One of my innate skills was the ability to bog down a Multi Fuel Duece and Half on a paved parking lot.  I have just enough remaining mechanical skills to do more harm than good on a vehicle.  I can write checks, however.  Gil

spent a lovely July and August of '69.. at Fork Polk! 

If/when I buy another truck, unless there's something much better out by then, it'll be the 2.7L F150 ecoboost with double cab and 4x4 and as few other options as I can get. A lot better economy and a TON more room than my extended cab Tacoma. 

1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

The Honda is a pretty and apparently well made vehicle that looks like a real truck, but isn’t.  Also, the cannot be flat towed.

Correct.   It is not a truck, not based on a truck frame.  It is better on asphalt than off it.  Your Ranger seems purpose built for your needs, a happy combination that works.  

4 hours ago, Bullwinkle said:

spent a lovely July and August of '69.. at Fork Polk! 

On July 2, 1969, I flew in a chartered Texas International Electra from Atlanta to DeRidder with a happy group of men my age and then all got on a bus and I went to North Fort ("Tiger Land") for Basic.    Yes, it was lovely vacationing in group housing in the suburbs of Leesville and DeRidder.  Gil

Don Steese

I have a 15 year old plain Jane pickup with 95 K that'll be running great long after I ain't. Ain't in the market for anything else. 

Here are my first two Tundras. Had a Tacoma before these and currently on my third Tundra.  With mileage of Tacoma’s similar to Tundra what you sacrifice is size.  Personally I could never go back to the smaller Tacoma. And I’ve put nearly a million miles in Toyota trucks. Price, ride, comfort, cargo space, etc.  

98AEE70C-B68A-4D2D-9B0B-963726F755DD.jpeg

B49E6436-0130-469E-848D-0DC2FB2E97F7.jpeg

4C8D48C8-261C-49AD-9319-20A33510FFED.jpeg

1EF66F86-DC39-415B-97AA-CE7AC5648E06.jpeg

Treerooster
1 hour ago, Peent said:

Here are my first two Tundras. Had a Tacoma before these and currently on my third Tundra.  With mileage of Tacoma’s similar to Tundra what you sacrifice is size.  Personally I could never go back to the smaller Tacoma. And I’ve put nearly a million miles in Toyota trucks. Price, ride, comfort, cargo space, etc.  

OK...now you gonna tell me you couldn't have cut and stacked all that wood without your Tundra?

1 hour ago, Treerooster said:

OK...now you gonna tell me you couldn't have cut and stacked all that wood without your Tundra?

that pile would last a guy all winter in Georgia

21 hours ago, Peent said:

Terrific composition btw.

Sulliesbrew

I bought a 2018 double cab 1500 silverado 2 years ago this April. I had "purchased" a crew cab long box Colorado, but the dealer couldn't get it off the lot at the factory after a month so the order was canceled, the Silverado was on the lot.

I have averaged 19 mpgs for the 49,000 miles I have put on it, which isn't a whole lot worse than what a 4x4 Colorado would get, and better than the taco would get. I could get by with a smaller truck, but in hindsight, I don't want a smaller truck.

I looked at the fords, but none of the volume dealers stock a 5.0 and you have to step up to the lariat package to get "auto 4wd".

My wife was driving a 2016 ford edge with the 302b package, that thing was a nice car, but the sync 3 system went to hell and ford would not warranty it, so off to the chevy dealer we went, she is in a 2019 equinox now and she can't say enough about how much nicer the infotainment center is.

My last car was a 2010 mini cooper with a turbo charged direct injection engine, I will never own that style of engine again if my intention is to own the vehicle past warranty. They have a recommended 40,000 mile service of cleaning carbon off the intake valves, it isn't listed in the manual, but every service tech will tell you it is best done before it wrecks the engine. The new equinox has a 2.0t engine, but will get replaced after 3 or 4 years.

The last mine I worked at had a gen1 Tundra and it was amazingly more dependable than the fords of the same age we had.

Everyone i know who buys a pop up camper wishes they would have bought a standard travel trailer.  Dont buy a new truck with the idea your going to tow that pop up.  You will go heavier.   Especially as much as you go on long trips

Really do not want a full sized truck, have had this Dakota for 12 years and almost 150k miles and would like something similar when the time comes. The Ranger seems most likely (we bought a 1990 version new) and I'll be watching reviews closely. So far they look very good.

IMG_20200206_124506.jpg