REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Tim Frazier

Cool Truck

Marc Ret

Guess we all have a different definition of "very dependable". Go for it, Tim. 

Tim Frazier
1 hour ago, Marc Ret said:

Guess we all have a different definition of "very dependable". Go for it, Tim. 

Ha!  The 22Rs were amongst the best engines ever put in a vehicle.  Not to mention rebuilt ones are easy to find.  He's fishing with a high price but I'm sure that dog "box" was custom made for their deer hounds.  I bought a Jeep CJ-7 down there in 1991 that you could have eaten off the frame, so it might be clean.

Marc Ret
15 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

Ha!  The 22Rs were amongst the best engines ever put in a vehicle.  Not to mention rebuilt ones are easy to find.  He's fishing with a high price but I'm sure that dog "box" was custom made for their deer hounds.  I bought a Jeep CJ-7 down there in 1991 that you could have eaten off the frame, so it might be clean.

I just found it rather amusing that he lists a bunch of parts replaced, some normal wear on a truck with 150,000mi and some major that shouldn't have failed that early (clutch and transfer case), and then states it's "very dependable". He must have had a big glass of Toyota flavored Kool-Aid before writing that advert.😉

A friend and I drove from Harrisburg to Seattle in a Tacoma just like that one. I won't be doing it again. 

topdog1961

When the ad says “Absolutely No Rust”, and you can see lots of rust in the pics.....says it all about the seller. 

I sold my 91 TOY 4x4 truck about 5 years ago with 175,000, truly very dependable but with lots of rust for $2,400.  I thought that was a fair price, and had no delusions it was worth $6,000.  I replaced it with a 98 F-150 4x4, original owner garage kept southern truck spotless with zero rust with 112,000 for $6,500. It’s been a great truck also, knock on wood. 

gunsrus

Up here on the coast , anytime I see a trailer hitch rusted , I run . Backing a boat into salt water will almost always guarantee it's a rust bucket . Not saying that about this truck , just my observations . 

406dn

Man, I must have shot a friend of mine a hell of a deal 10-12 years ago. I sold him a clean 95 Suburban for less than this guy is asking.

The hitch has lots of rust, there's more if you look. It's maybe just me but when I see oversized rims and tires on a light duty truck,,, I cross it off my list.

River19

"Absolutely no rust" except for one of the three pictures that is nothing but rust on the bumper....granted it is aftermarket but I found it funny....

Tim, I don't know how big you are, but I had a taco of that era (1998 v6 5sp) but I had the extra cab.....call it like 18" extra....and the seat barely went back far enough for me to throw the clutch all day and I'm a relatively long legged 5'11".  That regular cab with a stick makes my knee hurt just looking at it......

Reminds me of my first "date" with Nancy......she had a 1993 Ranger reg cab 4 cylinder 7' bed 5 speed.....bench seat.....so when she drove I was in the glove box.  She handed me the keys as I dropped her off at a field to grab a horse and I literally thought my knee was going to hit my face when I let the clutch out....I had to angle my legs off to the sides so my knee wouldn't get stuck under the wheel so I couldn't steer.  Man, that truck could stop on a dime.  Struggled to get over a dime, but it could stop on one.  7' bed lol 

C.J.L.

Maybe I'll buy it just for the dog box to put in my dream ride and give the Toyota to Goodwill..

01616_1MQepCWcadT_600x450.jpg

Tim Frazier
1 hour ago, 406dn said:

Man, I must have shot a friend of mine a hell of a deal 10-12 years ago. I sold him a clean 95 Suburban for less than this guy is asking.

The hitch has lots of rust, there's more if you look. It's maybe just me but when I see oversized rims and tires on a light duty truck,,, I cross it off my list.

Tough crowd!  That hitch is part of a cheap bumper but it certainly isn't a baby'd truck.  Those guys cover thousands of acres dragging those dogs around so I'm sure it was used for what it was bought for. 

As far a big tires, Toyota's on "33s used to be as common in the SE as beer at a barbeque!

topdog1961

I ran way oversized tires on offset rims on my 91 Toyota for years and many miles with no problems. It’s not the look I prefer, but it came that way, and got me 65 miles to work in level 3 snow emergencies many times. It had enough ground clearance to plow through the drifts. Eventually the aftermarket chrome rims rusted so bad I replaced them with some aluminum Taco rims off Ebay. Even those were larger diameter than stock but had stock offsets. They looked much better. 

Cold Iron
10 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

Tough crowd!  That hitch is part of a cheap bumper but it certainly isn't a baby'd truck.  Those guys cover thousands of acres dragging those dogs around so I'm sure it was used for what it was bought for. 

As far a big tires, Toyota's on "33s used to be as common in the SE as beer at a barbeque!

Yep! And many still are trying to stuff as much rubber as they can under a Taco.

19052-dccc97d1c74e76d336cb52855bcb4e49.j

image-6-jpg.1431303

ce94d778b57a45c6a694977bd945ca0b.jpg

My Tacoma Baja | TX came with TRD Pro lift and suspension. From the factory. 

406dn
1 hour ago, Tim Frazier said:

150k hard miles,,,,sounds like a steal at $6000.

I never said oversized rims and tires weren't common. I had to talk my son, many years ago now, out of a K5 Blazer that had been lifted so that some oversized tires would fit. It wandered all over the road and the tires had a nice whine to enjoy as well. Everyone has their perfect rig, mine stay pretty stock.

Tim Frazier
1 hour ago, 406dn said:

150k hard miles,,,,sounds like a steal at $6000.

I never said oversized rims and tires weren't common. I had to talk my son, many years ago now, out of a K5 Blazer that had been lifted so that some oversized tires would fit. It wandered all over the road and the tires had a nice whine to enjoy as well. Everyone has their perfect rig, mine stay pretty stock.

My first lifted truck my dad walked by my friends and I working on it and said. “Big tires don’t impress me”.   We still laugh about that!  I had one jeep that needed universals more often than brake pads!! 

406dn

It also occurred to me that if that truck has sported oversized wheels most of it's life, the odometer reading can be taken with a grain of salt.