Lehigh Valley RGS Habitat Day

It’s hard to believe another season has past us by already but I still love being out in the woods/covers and this is a great opportunity to do just that as well as help out our feathered friends. It’s scheduled for March 28 at 8:00 am. Let me know if you plan on attending. 

Would love to unfortunately will be attending accepted students day at RIT with my son that weekend.

I'm assuming there are actually birds there.......which would make any work projects worthwhile!

There's an area adjacent to a state forest in SC PA that has had multiple work activities completed over the years, including several targeted clearcuts........all to no avail due to no grouse.  Woodcock may take advantage.......during their migration.

8 minutes ago, hayslope said:

I'm assuming there are actually birds there.......which would make any work projects worthwhile!

There's an area adjacent to a state forest in SC PA that has had multiple work activities completed over the years, including several targeted clearcuts........all to no avail due to no grouse.  Woodcock may take advantage.......during their migration.

Any work on Blue Mountain is worth while. It seems to be the cutoff for the grouse population in PA lol. It’s worth while because the game commission is getting more involved now. There’s some new blood in the ranks and he’s showing a lot of interest in this type of project.

6 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Any work on Blue Mountain is worth while. It seems to be the cutoff for the grouse population in PA lol. It’s worth while because the game commission is getting more involved now. There’s some new blood in the ranks and he’s showing a lot of interest in this type of project.

I just checked my notes it’s been over 12 years since I harvested a grouse on the blue mountain and that was the last one I had seen.  I’ve hiked that section (AT) with the scouts a fair amount and have yet to flush a bird.  I’m sure there are are a few but I would drive another hour or so north and west for a better chance. 

I hope the population responds to the treatment it would be great to have a few for dog training purposes.

I’d love to see the entire south facing slope cut all the way to Harrisburg but that’ll never happen.

• 3 weeks later...

This habitat day has been postponed. I guess they don’t want the crabapples getting the Corona Virus. I’ll let everyone know when I have an update. We’re looking at the end of April but everything is up in the air.