REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Jakeismydog2

Official Warden Bashing Forum

Mike da Carpenter

I have not, and will not read the links provided.  The only reason I clicked on this thread is to see what kind of BS someone is appearing to be asking for.

My oldest son, now 16, desires to become one of Michigan’s next generation of Game Wardens.  The instructor at the MMA training we partake in is a retired detective, close quarter combat trainer, sniper and police officer (just an all around hell of a great man).  His direct quote to my son when he found out what he wanted to be, was “So, you want everyone to hate you?”.  Laughs ensued, nervously, from my son too.  Our instructor went on to explain that being a GW is the most thankless position in Law Enforcement that he knows of, but one that is needed more than any other.  He asked him if he still wanted to be one after about a 10 minute verbal “bashing”.  To which my son said “Yes, because like you said, it is needed more than any other position”.  The instructor looked at me and said I have no problem training your son at all.  They still occasionally rip on him about what he wants to be, but just as before, it’s all in jest and everyone now knows it.

I want no accolades towards my son, just relaying a story that is personal to me.  I have ran into Aholes in every trade and profession I have worked with and I have worked directly for some of the best people in the world from those at the bottom of the financial spectrum to the richest in the state which I live.  To judge an entire profession by singling out one individual is beyond going to far.  

If an entire forum is dedicated to what it appears is being asked for, I’m done and gone.  That is how I handle stupidity...just leave it at the alter.

grouse28
25 minutes ago, Randy S said:

hat warden shouldn't have been repirmanded, he should have been fired.  

In PA they are not fired, they are promoted and taken out of the field into office jobs.

Management positions in the Game Commission cannot be held unless you have a green ring.

There are great minds in the GC work force that cannot hold these positions.

Dick Sellers

In Alaska the state troopers are divided into the Blue Shirts (your typical state troopers) and Brown Shirts (basically game wardens).  Both go to the same trooper academy and have basically the same training and authority, and in rural areas very often are called upon to share overlapping duties.  As a wildlife biologist with ADF&G, I got a week's worth of training at the trooper academy and thereafter carried a badge and was authorized to enforce Fish and Game regulations.  The last 22 years of my career in a very rural part of Alaska; I shared an office with the "Brown Shirts" and got to know most of them (about a dozen different ones) pretty well.   When I came across a violation, unless it was really simple and the violator was willing to plead guilty, the case was turned over to the "brown shirts" for investigation and prosecution.  All the Brown shirts I knew (with one possible exception being a guy who was coasting to an imminent retirement) were very competent, dedicated and hard working.  Not a one "A-hole" among the bunch.

Greg Hartman
3 hours ago, Irishwhistler said:

A "warden bashing forum" ?  I find this completely unwarranted and offensive.  As some have  correctly indicated here, there are good and bad in every profession.  To single out and dedicate a forum to the bashing of game wardens specifically is just plain wrong.  Most certainly if there is a problem presented by a specific game warden in the performance of his / her duties, then I see no problem in reporting on that set of circumstances on UJ, but to dedicate a specific forum for the "bashing" of wardens is totally uncalled for.

I am certain that there exists a wide array of professions represented within the UJ membership and that there also exists "bad apples" within that vast array of professions, yet there is no call for the bashing of veterinarians, gunsmiths, mechanics, loan officers, fire fighters, funeral directors, etc., etc.  Why would the "bashing" of any one isolated profession be singled out and reduced to what surmounts to trashing four sport.

I will gladly be the first to go on record in stating that such a forum on UJ would find its mark as a new low found on what has historically been a site for the unifying of sportsmen and sportswomen in a "trash free" zone.  I love Upland Journal for the family like resource it has been, dedicated to the outdoor world we all love.  To specifically include a forum for the bashing of those entrusted with and dedicated to the protection and conservation of our natural resources would truly be despicable 

Mike / Irishwhistler ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Wow!  I agree, Mike. 

As a member of one of the most "bashed" professions on earth, I get sick and tired of things like lawyer jokes - that this thread exists here is. however, no joke.  Yeah, there are certainly some bad lawyeers out there, but the vast majority are good, hard working people trying to help others while making a living.  Same with LEO's of whatever stripe.

In 62 seasons afield, east and west, I have run into only one real jerk warden.  He was a REAL aggressive ass.  I was quite pissed about what he did to me, so I took the case to court and won. For a while afterward, I was pretty angry about the whole very negative experience and frankly wary of any contact with wardens (showing what broad-reaching bad effects just one bad apple can have on the general public - be he game warden or lawyer), but I'm over that because I understand that there are bad apples in any profession.  That has been my only bad contact with the folks who do a tough job to do that benfits us us all.

Brad Eden
18 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

In another thread Brad said we needed a "Warden bashing forum" so when I ran across this article today I figured it was as good of place as any to start:

Catch 22 conviction for bait

The reality is, that with Wardens, just like most every other profession, most are good but a few  give the rest a bad reputation.

Please don’t Quote me out of context. Im sure it wasn’t intentional, but provocative titles like this one cause me Moderating headaches.

And Fercripesakes everyone...I made the sarcastic statement earlier, somewhere, that we needed a warden bashing sub-forum out of frustration because wardens get bashed so much here.  Not because I actually meant it literally. If anyone thinks otherwise they are overreacting, don’t know me, or how I run this Board.  

MAArcher

This is hysterical.  You would think that LEO's would have thicker skin and know to do a little detective work before spouting off.  If anyone who's spent more than 20 minutes on this forum would think for a minute that Brad would start a forum to bash game wardens, please take a deep breath, relax, then pick up a phone to have your head examined because its not working right and you've lost your ability to reason.  

As to the linked story, it doesn't include the Wardens side of things.  I wouldn't put it past someone to maybe get tipped off that their illegal bait pile has been found so they call it in to make it look like it isn't theirs.  That's what I'd do.   Maybe the Warden knew something was rotten in Denmark and wrote the ticket in hopes it stuck.   If the issue was convoluted enough to go through three legal proceedings then it probably wasn't cut and dry was it?

But if we did have a Warden bashing forum, I bet it would be entertaining.  

ryanr

MAA, What are you talking about? LEO's just need thicker skin? Somebody started a despicable topic called "Official Warden Bashing Forum" and it seems like most of the people saying they find it despicable aren't LEOs and I don't think anyone is blaming Brad for starting it. Instead the topic starter took something he said WAY out of context as some sort of justification to start the topic.

And no I don't think it would be funny and I'm not a LEO either.

Brad Eden

A Warden Bashing Forum would come after a Deer Hunter Bashing Forum but before a Guide Bashing Forum.

IMG_0955.JPG

gunsrus

I don't think the OP was intentionally starting a warden bashing thread , just a bad choice in wording I guess . It was an interesting and informative article . 

Like Greg says , lawyers get more of a bad rap than any other profession . I have had my share of sh!t heads and most often i didn't do my homework on the guy , stupidity .

Hell , every other contractor on the corner sucks if you ask me . Good and bad out there .

bobman

A game warden was driving down the road when he came upon a boy carrying a wild turkey under his arm. He stopped and asked the boy, "Where did you get that turkey?" The boy replied, "What turkey?" The game warden said, "That turkey you're carrying under your arm."
The boy looks down and said, "Well, lookee here, a turkey done roosted under my arm!"

The game warden said, "Now look, you know turkey season is closed, so whatever you do to that turkey, I'm going to do to you. If you break his leg, I'm gonna break your leg. If you break his wing, I'll break your arm. Whatever you do to him, I'll do to you.

So, what are you gonna do with him?"

The little boy said, "I guess I'll just kiss his ass and let him go!"

mccuha

I have several friends that are GW's.  I as well know a lot of retired ones.  They are all good guys.  I'm sure like the rest of us that they have there moments of just having a bad day but even then I think they would be nice enough to give a guy a break unless they were know offenders.  Sometimes , just like any other job that has some power to it the rookies want to try and prove themselves and go overboard but once they figure it out they kind of settle down.  I thought about being one but after I got to know a few and talked to them I decided I liked hunting more than being a GW. One friend told me he quit waterfowl hunting because it was extremely risky and if something happened and he was found guilty could be fired on the spot.  In our neck of the woods you had to be careful hunting ducks because a lot of guys would bait on public land. If you didn't check it out thoroughly you could be in deep doo.

Irishwhistler
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Please don’t Quote me out of context. Im sure it wasn’t intentional, but provocative titles like this one cause me Moderating headaches.

And Fercripesakes everyone...I made the sarcastic statement earlier, somewhere, that we needed a warden bashing sub-forum out of frustration because wardens get bashed so much here.  Not because I actually meant it literally. If anyone thinks otherwise they are overreacting, don’t know me, or how I run this Board.  

Brad,

NOTE:  I did not bother to address this matter directly with you as I had no reason to believe you would encourage these type of submissions to UJ.

Cheers,

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸 

Irishwhistler
2 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Wow!  I agree, Mike. 

As a member of one of the most "bashed" professions on earth, I get sick and tired of things like lawyer jokes - that this thread exists here is. however, no joke.  Yeah, there are certainly some bad lawyeers out there, but the vast majority are good, hard working people trying to help others while making a living.  Same with LEO's of whatever stripe.

In 62 seasons afield, east and west, I have run into only one real jerk warden.  He was a REAL aggressive ass.  I was quite pissed about what he did to me, so I took the case to court and won. For a while afterward, I was pretty angry about the whole very negative experience and frankly wary of any contact with wardens (showing what broad-reaching bad effects just one bad apple can have on the general public - be he game warden or lawyer), but I'm over that because I understand that there are bad apples in any profession.  That has been my only bad contact with the folks who do a tough job to do that benfits us us all.

Greg,

As you likely remember, it was the very topic you highlight here that brought you and I to a elongated discussion on the matter.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Cooter Brown

So are we going to get this new forum or not?

gunsrus
Just now, Cooter Brown said:

So are we going to get this new forum or not?

Cooter .... you a baaaaad man !😀