• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• SelbyLowndes

• Jakeismydog2

• gunsrus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A "warden bashing forum" ?  I find this completely unwarranted and offensive.  As some have  correctly indicated here, there are good and bad in every profession.  To single out and dedicate a forum t

I’ve never had a run in with a game warden but I did get a speeding ticket from a really hot female state patrol officer in Wisconsin.   I still kinda wish she would of handcuffed me.

At least I'm not a lawyer.

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Don't know if the one in this story was a newly minted officer or not but the story reminded me of what I've been noticing. 

Agreed Don.  As you know we've been hunting an area for many years and have gotten to know the game warden nearby.  Great guy.  Two hunts ago we met a much younger warden, I'm guessing under 30, who was weirdly obnoxious.  He was not with the warden we've known from the past but with another one.  The older warden just hung back as his younger partner proceeded to berate me for not having blaze orange properly located even though he agreed I had a lot more square inches of blaze than required in the regs.  This young man was not at all respectful.  My long-standing posture has always been to be extra polite with all LEO's as I believe they have a tough job and don't need any more aggravation.  This guy was playing on my last nerve.  Then he started on each of my three other hunting buddies for some arcane thing after another.   It was just weird.  Last fall the regular guy was around, we caught up and talked a bit.  Didn't see any sign of the "Junior Dictator" nor did we ask about him.    

11 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

At least I'm not a lawyer.

My laugh for the day !

I have a number of direct interactions with Wardens in several states and everyone of them has been positive. Most of my interactions have been in Pennsylvania and like I said all positive. I had an encounter with a Federal Park Ranger who was a little overzealous in wanting to know if I was drinking alcohol but even that wasn't what I'd call a negative experience, he was doing his job (I was in my truck, streamside, listening to the Yankees-RedSux while eating my sub after some evening flyfishing with a cooler on the floor of the passenger seat.) In my experience, if you have a negative encounter with a Warden I generally feel it's because it was deserved. To me, topics like these just ring as sour grapes from some wrong doer.

SelbyLowndes

Calling attention to yourself by tipping off the GW about illegal bait near where you are hunting can never end well.  My take on the warden bashing question is be courteous, be respectful, and say nothing you don't have to.  LEOs have a job to do and it is more important to them than being your friend, and that is the way it is supposed to be...SelbyLowndes

Sulliesbrew

I do find it fascinating how you can have nothing but positive experiences, but one bad interaction with a CO leaves you questioning everything.

The local state guy where we chase pheasants, ducks and deer is as nice and cordial as you could ever ask for. However, the USF&W officer for the area begins any interaction as if you are guilty and have to plead your way out.

I was grilled about a salt lick someone had put out on the WPA I was on during deer season. I told him it had been there since pheasant opener and that nearly was the end for me. Apparently he never bothered to stop the guy that bow hunts that grove for the month leading into gun deer season and illegally leaves his stand up. Getting questioned about the trash you picked up in the woods seems counter productive to getting people to clean up after themselves and others.

Jacquidog

My only interaction with a PA Warden was was walking out of a field with a bag of garbage I picked up.  The Warden asked what was in the bag and when I told him  he thanked me.  He did want to know what breed my dog was because he had never seen a Portuguese Pointer.

Don Steese
2 hours ago, gunsrus said:

I don't think the OP was intentionally starting a warden bashing thread , just a bad choice in wording I guess . It was an interesting and informative article . 

Like Greg says , lawyers get more of a bad rap than any other profession . I have had my share of sh!t heads and most often i didn't do my homework on the guy , stupidity .

Hell , every other contractor on the corner sucks if you ask me . Good and bad out there .

I don't think the OP was calling for a warden bashing forum either. Everyone here knows what a lousy idea that would be. We also need to be careful not to separate good wardens and bad wardens based on how inclined they are to "give someone a break." People who break the law should be cited.  I do agree  though about the need for common sense though and obviously the warden in the referenced story was not using it. Wardens have the most dangerous job in law enforcement because everyone they stop is armed and a lot of times it's in a very remote place. From my experience the younger wardens are a different breed. Perhaps the lawbreakers are too.

SelbyLowndes

It seems to me one important thing to remember about interaction with GWs or any other LEO is that besides the obvious best practice of being respectful and courteous, you are not obligated to admit anything.  Once you do, you are done.  Lying is not helpful. 

Often the bad situations arise because the officer is trying to get you to make an admission.  Proof is his job, not yours.  Deflect the question once, then tell him it is his job to prove any case he makes.  Reputation is paramount in advancement and only a fool will charge you with something he knows he can't prove.  If you get a ticket you get the next move which is to decide whether its worth it to contest it or not.  Don't go halfway across the continent to misbehave...SelbyLowndes

I’ve never had a run in with a game warden but I did get a speeding ticket from a really hot female state patrol officer in Wisconsin.

I still kinda wish she would of handcuffed me.

Hang in there Folks - Feb is almost over...

I don't come here to bash anyone - If anything I hope to be invited to a bash...

I've never had a bad experience with a warden.  They can have tough jobs.

I had a case in front of me where a couple poachers  illegally shot a nice buck with a gun during archery season. After the warden seized the deer the poachers phoned one of the wardens and said they were on their way to the warden's house and were going to shoot his wife and child unless he gave them back the deer.  It was a bluff, but the warden called the local sheriff and had them move his wife and child to safety until they arrested the poachers.

The next person they deal with could be one of those type of guys.  

I'm always glad to see them out trying to keep our lands and game protected.

George Foster

I can honestly over my years of hunting and fishing I have never had a bad experience with a game warden.  I have had quite a few very positive experiences with them though, I have had them tell me about some good hunting spots to try, etc.  I have met more LEO's that thought they were God though.

I also know some can get swelled heads but that applies to all types of people, lawyers, moderators, everyday people, etc.  I just try my best to ignore such people and I can tell you in my computer repair business I have met quite a few of them.

Can‚Äôt really complain about CO‚Äôs. My best friend ( my kids call him uncle )and co owner in our deer camp is a career CO who will be retiring this year. So, I have heard the sometimes unbelievable lengths that people will go to to poach. Most of these poachers are perfectly well off people who are just plain greedy or super competitive. The funniest thing apparently is when they seize expensive gear. He says when they seize an ATV the poachers start singing like canaries. I guess at that point they figure large fines are better than explaining to the wife why they came home without a $12k bike they are making monthly payments on. ūü§£

gaberdeen

All my experiences with CO’s have been pretty good. They have a tough job knowing that most people they approach during hunting seasons will be armed. Like all professions and the population in general there are bad apples and good apples.