Official Warden Bashing Forum

Alaskan Swamp Collie
On 2/20/2020 at 1:29 PM, bobman said:

I’ve never had a run in with a game warden but I did get a speeding ticket from a really hot female state patrol officer in Wisconsin.

I still kinda wish she would of handcuffed me.

A few years ago a buddy talked me into fishing the winter king derby in March. Lots of boats fishing for the first time that year. When we landed that evening there was F&G people checking the fish and blue shirts checking licenses and king stamps. When it was my turn I got this new hot young transplant from deep down south, handed her my old person permanent license. She asked what this was and I told her that I have reached a certain age and don't need an annual license or king stamp. She than offhandedly commented that she had never met someone that old, realized what she said and turned beet red. I would have liked to console her over a couple drinks.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• SelbyLowndes

• Jakeismydog2

• gunsrus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A "warden bashing forum" ?  I find this completely unwarranted and offensive.  As some have  correctly indicated here, there are good and bad in every profession.  To single out and dedicate a forum t

I’ve never had a run in with a game warden but I did get a speeding ticket from a really hot female state patrol officer in Wisconsin.   I still kinda wish she would of handcuffed me.

At least I'm not a lawyer.

Posted Images

I was thinking I have been talked to plenty of times. Asked to see my license trout fishing a number of  times as a kid . Checked while ice fishing couple times( that's where the term sitting duck comes from I think) Once fishing in the middle of Newcomb Lk in the Adirondacks had a guy row up on me. The only way to that lake was walking. He was cool asked how I was doing and off he went. Mostly fishing I guess . 

I did have a deer tag filled out improperly once. Driving down the road with two bucks tied to the top of my Toyota Tacoma . Jax my shorthair  under the cap in his crate. One  in the last couple days of NY archery season and a really nice 8 on opening day of firearm season.  They were coming at me and turned to follow and pull me over.  The 8 is what caught their eye.  They even commented on it. We had a good conversation . They let me correct my tag and off we each went in different directions. The fact that I have been checked so many times in my life I think is mainly a result of how much time I spent out there I guess. Never had a hint of a problem or cross words. Never had a violation though the deer tag could have netted me one. Just an oversight on my part and I think they could tell I wasn't trying to get away with anything.   

Rogue Hunter

Mostly pleasant interactions. My only complaint is they always start preaching to me about not having to "limit-out" when hunting/fishing. Hell, I've never taken home a daily limit of anything in my life. So, yes, I guess I'm out to enjoy the activity itself....NOW, GO AWAY! LOL

I told this story in another thread, but here is a better place to park it again.  Many moons ago I took a 12 year old stepson dove hunting at our dove club in SC.  The birds flew well and we were on our way to limits.  We noticed a game warden walking from hunter to hunter and checking them.  None left the field.  When he got to  us, he asked for our licenses and identification.  "Sir, you might not be aware of it, but this field was baited within a time period that hunting it now is illegal.  Continue shooting and when you both limit, come see me I'll be in that corner.  I'll keep your license until then. "  We got the limits and Sidney told us the state forfeiture fine/bond was $50 or if we want to contest it, he'd write us a Federal ticket and we'd have to appear before a US Magistrate in Charleston, 110 miles from our home.  He wasn't going to ticket the boy.  We could keep the birds.  I whipped out my wallet, paid the $50, and restrained an impulse to ask "when could we do this again? " 

I duck hunted with a small group of like-minded "trailer ramp tramps" which hunted public marshes and rivers back in the '70s and 80's.  One of the men was a federal warden who went with us occasionally.  One morning he shot a canvasback hen which decoyed into the spread. Opps.   At the time, they were off limits and protected. Rip and I looked the other way and not another word was ever said about it.  It's good to have friends in high places.

Across the river into SC was a well-known warden with the unusual name of Dovie Into, a real character, who would sneak from tree to tree coming in to check hunters but could be seen a mile away doing it.  

Then there was the time  federal agents swarmed a  SC dove field and checked everyone but Mr. Cay a prominent man from across the river in Georgia. He was in  a distant corner of the field by himself.  No one was in violation, but the agents waited for Mr. Cay to come in.  "What's wrong?  Why you waiting for me?"  "Mr. Cay we all know you  are law abiding and  a crack shot.  Miss Edna at Levy sold you a bow hunting license today.  We just wanted to see how you could hit those high flying dove with a bow and arrow."

Gil

Jakeismydog2

Just FYI, I dont think we need an "Official Warden Bashing Forum" I was just having a little fun with what Brad had said in another thread. 

I have been annoyed with a few posts on here saying things like, anyone who bashes a warden is obviously just a lawbreaker. This is not true.

I personally have had good experiences with most Wardens I have interacted with. I will say I much prefer to run into older wardens in the field. The younger ones seem to always have something to prove. This past year for the opening day of dove season I took a group of guys to one of the state-managed dove fields. We have hunted the state-managed fields every year for the opener for about 5 years now. You have to get there plenty early because lots of people hunt them. But there are always tons of birds and besides all the steel shot raining down on you it really is a fun morning every year. It seems this year Kansas decided to make the managed dove fields part of the online check-in system. they use this to have a better idea of how many are hunting, how often and how many they shot. I am fine with the system. I am sure it is really helpful for them. They have used it for years at state marsh I hunt at so I am familiar with it. Well, we never heard that they added the dove fields to the online system. We finished the hunt headed out and walked over to the warden to show her our guns and steel shot and birds. She asked us to show her that we were checked in online. We told her we didn't know we needed to. She then pointed out the 5"x5" card on the drive gate, Which unfortunately for us we did not walk past to get into the area. She then berated us for not filling out the cards and told us how this has been the rule for 6 years now, which was not true. That the fine was $275, which seems a bit high but ok. 

I could be wrong, but I feel like an older warden would have said, Yeah, its the first year we are doing it on the dove fields. Can you guys just check-in and check-out on the system and show me. That way it's done, then next year you will remember to do it.

Not a big deal I know but it was one where the Warden could have easily built an appreciation for her and her work instead of negative feelings. i assume as she does the job longer she will realize that.

The year before at the dove field, there were a half dozen or so college guys who were looking very sad, when we walked out of the field. As we were loading up I heard one of them tell the warden, "well, I know I won't trust anyone else to buy ammo for me again" it seems one of the guys picked up lead shells for all his buddies to shoot. It is a steel only field.

Brad Eden

I’ve mentioned this before and it wasn’t received as being very valid, but I stand by it. Many men typically do not like or have a hard time being “dominated” or lectured by authority figures. It’s almost involuntary and visceral. I’m in that camp. That can mean bosses, LEO’s, wardens etc. I think that causes issues when being stopped by cops and wardens. This can be especially true when the officer or warden is so young it could be your son or daughter. JMO

SelbyLowndes
47 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I’ve mentioned this before and it wasn’t received as being very valid, but I stand by it. Many men typically do not like or have a hard time being “dominated” or lectured by authority figures. It’s almost involuntary and visceral. I’m in that camp. That can mean bosses, LEO’s, wardens etc. I think that causes issues when being stopped by cops and wardens. This can be especially true when the officer or warden is so young it could be your son or daughter. JMO

You know, that is true in spades especially when you know you're in the wrong...SelbyLowndes

59 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

QUIT yelling at me!!!!

DD Huntress

My experience with game wardens have seemed to be humourous situations. 

I was checked once and asked to produce my permit. Upon doing so a $20 flew out of my wallet and landed on the toe of his boot. He checked my permit and handed back both it and the $20 and said "that's not enough for a bribe."

I was standing behind a hay bale on the edge of a corn field pass shooting chickens. When I do this I use a mojo dove, the chickens are drawn to it. A warden drove by on the road 2 times and then pulled over. He approached with a puzzled look on his face and asked what I was hunting. When I told him what I was doing he just laughed and asked "does it work?" He didn't even check my licence. 

This might sound a bit off but I have noticed that women in positions of authority i.e. police officers and border patrol agents ( never met a female game warden) are tough, no nonsense, scary individuals. Think of your mother, no getting away with anything.

caa8fb964e466f93a17514b537ec2a05.jpg

My encounters with game wardens has always been positive and sometimes humorous. 

One time about 15 years ago I was fishing on the Stillwater River with my 15 year old son and his friend.  A warden rides up on horseback and does a license check.  I show him my license and tell him that the boys are only 15 and don't need a license.  I'm not sure where I got that info but it was wrong.  He tells me that no the boys do need a license.  Well I proceed to tell him, nicely of course, that I think he's mistaken and he assures me he isn't.  He laughed and told me to get the boys some licenses after we get done fishing and he rode off into the sunset.  My son thought it was quite comical.

I've good experiences except for once, it was a long time ago. I don't want to rehash it.

I was stopped last year right before our bird season started. It was sunny and probably 75 degrees. This young warden looked like the member of swat team. He had a thick bullet proof vest on, gloves,hat, gun, pepper spray, radio,cuffs, ect...   He was a nice enough but a little sweaty.

All my encounters with wardens out of state have been positive. I almost ran one one walking walking up a from a creek trapping in the Daks. Another didn’t even ask to see a license, (perhaps it was the company I was with, ( the Stump)). Others were friendly and interested that we were having a good hunt. The only issues I have had are in PA, seems like they begin any meeting as an attempt to see if they can find something wrong. My friend was walking it a 2 track after deer hunting, wearing FO coveralls, was quite warm and took off his FO hat. Heard a vehicle coming up behind and thought he might get a ride out. No, got a ticket for not having a FO hat on while hunting.

Yes, I know technically illegal, but.

52 minutes ago, DD Huntress said:

My experience with game wardens have seemed to be humourous situations. 

I was checked once and asked to produce my permit. Upon doing so a $20 flew out of my wallet and landed on the toe of his boot. He checked my permit and handed back both it and the $20 and said "that's not enough for a bribe."

I was standing behind a hay bale on the edge of a corn field pass shooting chickens. When I do this I use a mojo dove, the chickens are drawn to it. A warden drove by on the road 2 times and then pulled over. He approached with a puzzled look on his face and asked what I was hunting. When I told him what I was doing he just laughed and asked "does it work?" He didn't even check my licence. 

This might sound a bit off but I have noticed that women in positions of authority i.e. police officers and border patrol agents ( never met a female game warden) are tough, no nonsense, scary individuals. Think of your mother, no getting away with anything.

caa8fb964e466f93a17514b537ec2a05.jpg

the state patrol lady that I mentioned was furious with me, for a while I was wondering if she would shoot me lol. I was going 70 in a 55 and not paying attention looking up at thousands of geese thanksgiving morning while driving thru horizon marsh. I was the only car on the road other than her. She really was upset. It’s a funny story I told once before but I’ll let it lie.

Years ago a late friend and I gathered oysters on the public beds in SC across the river from Hilton Head.  We filled a bushel basket full of singles and were looking forward to roasting them with friends.  On the way back to car a game warden awaited us.  "Licenses, please."  "Sir, you two are residents of Georgia and these beds are for SC residents only.  The forfeiture bond is $25 a piece."  Neither Ronnie nor I had a cent on us.  He let Ronnie sit in the back of his patrol car along with another Georgia man in handcuffs who had been caught earlier gathering oysters.  A game warden had been killed in the northern part of the state and arrestees had to be cuffed under statewide orders but it was first come first served as he had only one pair of cuffs.  I was allowed to drive home and get the funds to ensure Ronnie's release.  This happened over 40 years ago and since then, Dick and I have become friends and he hasn't been a game warden in decades.  I believe he ate the oysters although I've never asked.  Some things are best unsaid between friends.  Gil

bigjohnsd

I've never had an "Issue". I've been checked three or four times in my life, two as a kid, and once here in SD and once in Idaho.

I knew the warden in California, we were both in the same Rod and Gun club.  Once I was bring stupid shooting crows out of trees with a .22.  He asked me if I knew where the bullets were landing? It was a good question.  The second time I was quail Huntington a GPA with my pointer Queenie.  He suggested I try a spot across the road, we shot some quail.  

In South Dakota we were checked on the third day of the Resident only Pheasant season. After checking our licenses he asked how many birds we had. Having just cleaned and counted I told him 45 (5 HUNTERS, 3 birds per day  3 days). He didn't believe me and counted them himself.  Then told us we were the only ones he had checked with possession limits.

The check in Idaho occurred near Pinyon Peak Lookout in the River of no return wilderness while we were packing out several elk. A group of us were hunting together and two guys were lucky on the opening morning.  The elk were about three miles in from the road and at least 3,000 feet below the road.  The game warden, Geary,knew us and routinely stopped in camp to BS with us in the evening.  He was waiting atbour vehicles when we struggled up the trail with the elk on our backs.  Everything appeared to be in order until he checked one carcass quarter for "evidence of sex", there was none.  The guy that had shot the elk had cut off the "Evidence"  while cleaning/quartering.  He volunteered to go back and retrieve said evidence which he did.  Being a Marine he ran down the mountain and ran back up.  Geary wrote him a warning ticket for being a "Sex Offender" LOL. 

No harm, no foul.