• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Tim Frazier

• EB&Me

• atticus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy with time spent to clean this years deer up. Something on European mount I just like-simple.

A few more from “the fortress of solitude”   wild boar   Roe deer and a small boar   jackal     Warthog and eland    

I like mine too, but I draw the line at sleeping with them.

Posted Images

Mike da Carpenter

I do every big game animal that I get, and is worth mounting, into a Euro mount myself.  Allows me to save a ton of $ to put towards the next hunt.

I have one of each of these...whitetail, mule deer, bear, Aoudad and a bison.  I have kept the best of all I have shot.  If I shoot a bigger/better specimen then I will replace it once I boil the new head.

Big fan of euro mounts. Works of art. I like them plain bleached white with no plaque. I’m not a fan in the least of the new dipping process, where they basically paint the skulls different colors etc. I dont currently do them myself but they are still a lot cheaper than the full shoulder mounts I already have. Last count I have 4 white tail bucks and 1 bull moose European mounts.

IMG_0183.JPG

Here’s a couple of mine from recent years. I had to go to the Euro.  I was running out of wall space.  I like them though so no problem.

44EACD3C-C9DF-47FB-9EC2-2B649BE338E3.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Here’s a couple of mine from recent years. I had to go to the Euro.  I was running out of wall space.  I like them though so no problem.

44EACD3C-C9DF-47FB-9EC2-2B649BE338E3.jpeg

I like mine too, but I draw the line at sleeping with them.

I worked for a Swiss pharmaceutical company for many years and made many trips to Europe. I found I liked the look of Euro mounts and have two mule deer and a speed goat done that way. I have them mounted on placks with brass plates because I want to remember the times and places they happened.  Still waiting on a whitetail that makes the wall. Maybe this year will be the year...........B|

I’m a fan of euro mounts.  One of my good friends does it.  Mainly just for himself, family and friends.  More of a hobby. He does a great job and has done my last few good bucks.  A lot cheaper than regular mounts and you can hang them or just set them around on the mantle, hearth, or whatever else you want to put them

Everything in the Fortress of Solitude is a European type mount other than a couple birds.  Shipping and taxidermy prices are much less that way and I like the look as well.

Birds can be done too!  These were done with beetles.

Pheasant, Woodcock, Grouse

IMG_1106-XL.jpg 

Bradford when I saw your picture above at first glance I took a double take. Very similar to my house. 

P1000730.JPG

,I've done 30 to 40 euro mounts over the years, this year a friend shot a nice buck  instead of boiling and bleaching we bought a mountain Mike reproduction it cost 25 bucks, it is very easy and took about 20 minutes to complete ,no mess no clean up  looks like the real thing.

13 hours ago, atticus said:

Everything in the Fortress of Solitude is a European type mount other than a couple birds.  Shipping and taxidermy prices are much less that way and I like the look as well.

Birds can be done too!  These were done with beetles.

Pheasant, Woodcock, Grouse

IMG_1106-XL.jpg 

I have some domestid beetle cleaned bird skulls too.  Grouse, Woodcock and wild turkey. They are very cool.

Can I ask how you guys are doing these?  Are you boiling and peel flesh off then bleach/peroxide or are you using beetles?  And if your using beetles where are you getting them from?

I have done the boiling method and find it troublesome to do and along with that I find I loose a lot of detail.  The beetles sound much easier but how long does it take using them?  In the past I have put heads outside under wet cardboard in the summer and the bugs did a magnificent job of cleaning the skulls, problem is it takes all summer and if we have some extreme highs or lows it seems to kill the bugs doing the work and progress stops abruptly.

Virgil