European mount

Not a fan.   Kinda witchy looking to me.   Traditional mounts are pricey so I understand looking for alternatives.  I just don't think the bare skull adds anything aesthetically to antlers only.  I have been in a few Bavarian castles and never saw a euro mount of a Red Deer.  Just the antlers.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Tim Frazier

• EB&Me

• atticus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy with time spent to clean this years deer up. Something on European mount I just like-simple.

A few more from “the fortress of solitude”   wild boar   Roe deer and a small boar   jackal     Warthog and eland    

I like mine too, but I draw the line at sleeping with them.

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

Not a fan.   Kinda witchy looking to me.   Traditional mounts are pricey so I understand looking for alternatives.  I just don't think the bare skull adds anything aesthetically to antlers only.  I have been in a few Bavarian castles and never saw a euro mount of a Red Deer.  Just the antlers.  

In graduate school a friend of my dads was a zoology professor at Berkley.  I was 5 at the time but he got me started in collecting skulls and by the time I went into the Army it was quite a large and diverse collection.  I donated them to my high school biology program.  Wish I had them back now though.  Over the years I've even used one otter skull at work as a paper weight so people would mess with my paper work.  It's at home on my desk now though, got worried someone would take it eventually! 

For me there is a scale on deer mounts. First antlered buck deserves a full shoulder mount and I had a 6 pt mounted. After that only bucks over 200lbs dressed (3) which happened to have had nice racks got full shoulder mounts. After that any decent antlered deer had the beetles work/euro mount. After that small bucks, spikes, fork horns etc. had skull plate cut off and are displayed randomly mostly in garage, basement etc.  I would have to shoot a true monster with a trophy rack to have another shoulder mount done. Pricey and I don’t have much wall space left at this new to us house.

4BB2E32B-5F01-455D-9E5B-6CC5979697DC.jpeg

An 8pt bow buck. Not big enough for a full shoulder mount, but nice enough for a Euro mount. I find the cleaned skull fascinating and earthy. They remind me of artwork by Georgia O'Keeffe

I paid for a head/neck mount of a chamois, figuring it would be the only one I'd shoot, but went with the plain European look for a Roe deer skull.  Whitetail deer racks get the skull/antlers treatment as I just don't really want to put anything like that other than the chamois on a wall.  The racks by themselves mean enough to me, I think.

A favorite item is a snapping turtle head with wires holding the jaw on the piece, I like that idea of a paperweight to keep other hands off.  Except for those I know who would have to pick the head up.  I was a teenager when I collected this one, it's held up well.

12 hours ago, lee sykes said:

I have been in a few Bavarian castles and never saw a euro mount of a Red Deer.  Just the antlers.  

It hasn’t made it home yet, but here is the European mount of my stag. It will be on a wood plaque. 

IMG_1083-XL.jpg

A few more from “the fortress of solitude”

wild boar

IMG_1168-XL.jpg

Roe deer and a small boar

IMG_1100-X2.jpg

jackal

IMG_1108-X2.jpg

Warthog and eland

IMG_1109-XL.jpg

moose—not quite European but close. 

IMG_1103-XL.jpg

I don't know that much about antelope, and there's nothing here for scale, but am I right that that's a honker?

On 2/25/2020 at 6:27 AM, EB&Me said:

The antelope my son & I got this year. I did these by boiling, then 24 hr bleach with 40% peroxide hair bleach. Wrapped the skulls with paper towel soaked in peroxide then placed in plastic bag. Getting brain out is much easier, after I took an oscillating saw and cut 1” hole in back of skull.

DE99D5BC-30AE-4A6D-AA76-A1149869D78B.jpeg

96A96781-8407-4AD5-B280-88C6547741C1.jpeg

The daughter of a friend of mine got her first buck this fall and I made a plaque for the Euro mount.  She actually preferred it over a shoulder mount.  She's 13.  What I've come up with is sort of an acorn shape.  This one is hickory.  I've made a few others for young folks and I'd be happy to make one for someone here if you send a notarized affidavit that it's for a youngster.  Anybody else gets charged an immaculate series 80 LandCruiser (delivery included).  I like white.

By the way, I got a nice handwritten thank you note from her yesterday.  They still raise 'em up right in south Georgia.

1231936712_Laneyeuromount.jpeg.0ef14d9a2c6561b390dbd2232bb10571.jpeg

5 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

.  I've made a few others for young folks and I'd be happy to make one for someone here if you send a notarized affidavit that it's for a youngster.  Anybody else gets charged an immaculate series 80 LandCruiser (delivery included).  I like white.

Can we avoid the LandCruiser fee if we get a note from our wives saying we still act like little kids?

Virgil

31 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Can we avoid the LandCruiser fee if we get a note from our wives saying we still act like little kids?

Virgil

I suspect your wife has suffered enough.  Fee waived.

8 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

I don't know that much about antelope, and there's nothing here for scale, but am I right that that's a honker

Nope  Cooter, I think with with nothing to compare it to and the camera angle, it looks bigger than it is. The deep hooks I think fool you as well. It is just a 14 inch buck, but I think it is pretty one.

Mine go in pot with good squirt of Dawn dish soap. Soap cuts the fat. Really don't have in water long-maybe an hour. Then I have at it with power washer. Did not perioxide any of them yet but may try next time. Have heard that wipe down with Weidmans Floor Restorer on skull keeps them fresh looking-easier to dust.

Most do it yourselfers use peroxide paste to whiten, that is found in beauty salon stores. I’ve heard.

The two on the outside I did by  boil in soapy water then bleach.  What happens is the plates separate a bit more if boiled then if they are not boiled.  The one in the middle was fleshed out and put in a beetle box to get cleaned up then peroxide.  Problem with that and being a bear is the grease leaches out over time. I might give it a soak in dish soap water but it's drying out and I thing soaking it with swell then shrink of bone so causing gaps.  They all dry out over time even the teeth unless you wipe them down with mineral oil now and again. I don't because dust and oil isn't a great look either.  

20200228_084746.jpg

20200228_084722_resized.jpg

101908BB-99CB-4FD3-83B9-1E2D41DD94A7.jpeg

Dusty but some beetled wild turkey, ruffed grouse and Woodcock skulls.