REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Swampy 16

Gen2 Jeep Compass

Swampy 16

Anyone have any experience with these? I may buy a Trailhawk tonight.

Craig Conroy

My daughter has one, and likes it, but hers is not a Trail Hawk.  I had a 2015 Patriot (old style), I think her new Compass is much nicer than the Patriot, and, by association, the first generation Compass.  I went to a Jeep Renegade last year, partly because its square shape allows the dog kennel to be right at the back, so the Lab can jump right into it.  I like it, too.  They both approach 30 mpg, my Renegade has beat that on road trips.

Brad Eden

By chance we got a Jeep Trailhawk as a rental when we were in Hill Country TX last winter. This one had all the off roadIsh accessories and drive choices. We were immediately freaked out at how the engine would shut off when you came to a stop, and start back up when you hit accelerator. Disconcerting is putting it mildly. This is getting to be standard in new vehicles. It took a Google search to figure out how to shut it off. (Why rental places remove the manual is beyond me) There is a button you can push near shifter, but you have to do that every time you start the vehicle. Only other way is a hack. Generally we liked it, but only drove it for a week. 

Swampy 16

Turns out the compass 4cyl is an oil guzzler. Chrysler claims the 1qt per 1000 mile consumption is “within spec” ! Yikes, and double yikes ! The bigger issue with that is the engine a safety kill switch when the oil gets low and the motor stops at will causing them to shot off at the most inopportune times, like intersections. Looks like I’m going to go with a V6 Cherokee, preferably a Limited. We drove one last night and it wasn’t bad, plenty of snot and pretty comfy. It’ll make a decent grouse buggy. 

blanked

how many dogs do you have?  for cargo space

Swampy 16

No dogs right now. May get one in the future.

dogrunner

Thought you we’re getting a truck?

WI Outdoor Nut
22 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Turns out the compass 4cyl is an oil guzzler. Chrysler claims the 1qt per 1000 mile consumption is “within spec” ! Yikes, and double yikes ! The bigger issue with that is the engine a safety kill switch when the oil gets low and the motor stops at will causing them to shot off at the most inopportune times, like intersections. Looks like I’m going to go with a V6 Cherokee, preferably a Limited. We drove one last night and it wasn’t bad, plenty of snot and pretty comfy. It’ll make a decent grouse buggy. 

Wow, that is a lot.  I recall having a Toyota a few years back that would burn through about a quart on a 5000 mile oil change.  Looked in the manual, and said it was normal.  I was okay with it, no smoke at start up and no oil build up in the bumper area.  But this seems VERY concerning if this is considered normal. 

Swampy 16
16 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Thought you we’re getting a truck?

Nope, we have one. I also have a company truck. I wanted a fuel efficient vehicle with good off-road capabilities. The Cherokee Limited checks a lot of boxes. It’s decent on gas, has great off-road capabilities, decent cargo space, and is like driving a Lincoln. Everything is leather, everything is heated. The only option it doesn’t have is navigation and a sun roof, but it has Uconnect which pairs with the gps on my phone so it’s no big deal. Did I mention it’s got snot? The 3.2 V6 is no slacker by any means. 

dogrunner
28 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

Nope, we have one. I also have a company truck. I wanted a fuel efficient vehicle with good off-road capabilities. The Cherokee Limited checks a lot of boxes. It’s decent on gas, has great off-road capabilities, decent cargo space, and is like driving a Lincoln. Everything is leather, everything is heated. The only option it doesn’t have is navigation and a sun roof, but it has Uconnect which pairs with the gps on my phone so it’s no big deal. Did I mention it’s got snot? The 3.2 V6 is no slacker by any means. 

I’ve been in Jeeps 🚙 they didn’t ride like the Lincoln’s I’ve been in or owned.