REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Jazz4Brazo

Recovery Gear...Who's packing it?

WPG Gizmo
7 hours ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

BTW how expensive is a hitch winch?

J4B 

They are not expensive you can get a good winch for $500 then you need the tray for it to sit in plus you need a SOLID trailer hitch set up front and rear plus the wiring. 

The problem with this setup is 2 fold first is space you need someplace to store the unit in your vehicle when not in use.  The second is that you are trusting one bolt that is the pin that holds the winch tray to the hitch depending on how bad you are stuck you are putting a lot of shearing stress on that pin.

Winches with wire rope can get you killed if your not careful they require maintenance a wire rope that snaps has a lot of tension on it and will come back like a rubber band synthetic ropes loss all tension when they snap. Always drape something like a coat over a wire rope to absorb the tension if it snaps.

Also dont buy cheap recovery gear cheap gear breaks and bad things happen. 

GLS
27 minutes ago, River19 said:

It is nimble......just a 4 runner with a nicer interior from that era (and assembled in Japan).  But I do like the manual transfer case and center locker 🙂

The ICON suspension out back is nice as well......

The GX460 series with a few miles on it can be bought for close to what a similar year 4Runner sells.  Big advantage of the Lexus over 4Runner is its running gear is closer to a  Landcruiser with its AWD, V8 and center locking transfer case.  Replace front and rear bumpers with steel and ditch the air suspension for coil springs and you have a smaller Landcruiser which is what it is in Japan badged as the Prado.  Buy one driven by a soccer mom and the likelihood it will have been babied and not rode hard.

Brad Eden

Not sure if this is “Recovery Gear”

Genuis Boost portable jump starter

Heavy duty tow strap

Bottle Jack. (can’t remember tonnage but enough to lift my truck)

4 way Steel Lug wrench

Grabber AT2 10 ply tires

Trailer Hitch.

100 or so pounds of bagged sand

Full tool box in bed

Long spade shovel

AAA

Probably should have more with a truck with 208k on it.

GLS

While snapped steel cable is a hazard worse than snapped synthetic rope, the snapped rope has significant recoil as well.  Watch this Australian deliberately snap both types of cable using a bulldozer to pull the cables till they snap.  The damage from steel cable is catastrophic, but synthetic rope when it snaps doesn't simply fall to the ground without recoil.  Here's a youtube link to view the testing done:

River19
1 hour ago, GLS said:

The GX460 series with a few miles on it can be bought for close to what a similar year 4Runner sells.  Big advantage of the Lexus over 4Runner is its running gear is closer to a  Landcruiser with its AWD, V8 and center locking transfer case.  Replace front and rear bumpers with steel and ditch the air suspension for coil springs and you have a smaller Landcruiser which is what it is in Japan badged as the Prado.  Buy one driven by a soccer mom and the likelihood it will have been babied and not rode hard.

Exactly.  But I went for the GX470 as I have a long history with the 4.7L and I liked that package and price at the time (had it for ~3+ years or so).  If we need another one I would opt for the 2013+ 460.

Bought it with full Lexus service history and 79K miles......and the timing belt had already been done.

This Spring will be a major proactive service for me at 150K.  Timing belt/Water pump, new radiator and trans cooler along with new front shocks.  I noticed it running a few degrees hotter over the summer and during the hunting season, and even now in the winter I'm running about 4-5 degrees warmer than I would like even with cold temps outside.  Original cooling system so......

Jazz4Brazo

Oh ya forgot...

Grey Matter...hmmm 😱

Tie down strap...check 

First Aid Kit...always...check 

Come Along - have an old one I use when tree cutting...probably should replace and pack along (never have in past).

Tool Box with assorted crap always in vehicles...check.

Genius Boost...check

Ax/Saw...hmmm?? Think the folding shovel has a serrated side? Have a brush saw but have never packed it...hmm?

Flashlights...check check check...plus toolbox has a variety of breakdown flares.

I do miss the under/behind the seat storage of the Tacoma as the 4Runner doesn't have any hidden storage compartments. Right now all stored neatly in a bin plus if needed the TRD Pro has the roof rack...maybe invest in a waterproof/weather proof box for up top (ideas...suggestions?). 

A winch might be in the future but likely only for use with back end hitch initially...do they come with synthetic rope or is that a bit and replace scenario? BTW in the interest of safety and given how cheap they are I bought a weighted hi vis jacket that you place on any tow strap/line to prevent injury/blow back if the line breaks.

I don't have any proper jack..just what the 4Runner came with so that's an obvious but the HiLift/Farmer jack scares the beejeezers out of me and where to connect to avoid damage? I do know with chains they can be used as combo come alongs but 20 - 30 ft of chain weighs too much and takes up too much space..maybe a bottle jack is in my future...other options?

The TRD PRO comes with 2 WD/4WD with Hi/Lo and 5 selection crawl plus electronic rear lockers and COOL tires...back to that grey matter issue 😱

Tracks might be nice...they'd tie down easy on top rack but likely overkill...LOL

Once I get thru this round of add ons next is to move on to replacing Hi/Low beams, fog lights, and backup lights with LEDs...they make a cool Fog light that cycles on/off through white/yellow 🙂

J4B

River19

Back to the original topic.......There is recovery and there is "preventative" gear such as good tires and the ability to air down and then air back up can go a long way.

Much of our hunting is parking at a gate and walking in so the need to really push things is minimized.  Some class IV roads or unmaintained roads can get sketchy so that is where good judgement comes in.  

A common scenario would be parking too far over in a ditch and finding you can't get out easily............

Jazz4Brazo
39 minutes ago, GLS said:

While snapped steel cable is a hazard worse than snapped synthetic rope, the snapped rope has significant recoil as well.  Watch this Australian deliberately snap both types of cable using a bulldozer to pull the cables till they snap.  The damage from steel cable is catastrophic, but synthetic rope when it snaps doesn't simply fall to the ground without recoil.  Here's a youtube link to view the testing done:

I did some on line searches on Kinetic ropes (bought the ASR Premium 20'...should be good for tight woods use and have a tow strap/tree saver) and most had links to catastrophic failures...after seeing holes through rear AND front windows I added the weighted safety jacket to throw over the line...can't hurt and HiVis should help as a reminder of the inherent dangers.

J4B 

Prepared vs Paranoid...maybe it's an age thing?

Jazz4Brazo

I did pick up a shackle hitch...don't tow the popup camper much any more (might be time to seel the popup)...plan on just leaving it on all the time as I did have an idiot drive into back of my Tacoma (albeit not a full on crash... more of a bump) and the hitch prevented damage though the other car didnt fare so well.

J4B 

bobman

Track grabbers and a locker in my two wheel drive van and a chain,

plug kit and a small 120 volt air compressor ( have a generator in my van) floor jack and wood base for it) nice thing about full size vans is you have lots of room for stuff

that’s it, and lots of cautious common sense, I get out and walk if it looks sketchy.

only been stuck once in 40 years and that was pre track grabbers in the snow, my fault I probably should get tire chains

I am thinking about having a four wheel drive ford van built...maybe 

blanked

I am amazed at the drive some of you have when getting out.  If it comes to having to spend the night I am calling for help with a satellite phone.     In short if I can’t get unstuck within a couple hours there’s no use avoiding that call

Cold Iron

Solid state battery jumper
come a long 
hi lift 
scissor jack (and impact driver for it)
air compressor
fix a flat
tire patch kit
blankets\ space blankets
shackles
straps
rope
tools and tool box
electric chain saw
shovel

inreach mini

Now that I have a Polaris Northstar the Tacoma is more a tow vehicle but still carry the hilift in it. But everything else in the back of the buggy in 2 boxes under the dog platform.

45049860254_6d85c08302_b.jpg

5 hours ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

Oh ya forgot...

Grey Matter...hmmm 😱

Tie down strap...check 

First Aid Kit...always...check 

Come Along - have an old one I use when tree cutting...probably should replace and pack along (never have in past).

Tool Box with assorted crap always in vehicles...check.

Genius Boost...check

Ax/Saw...hmmm?? Think the folding shovel has a serrated side? Have a brush saw but have never packed it...hmm?

Flashlights...check check check...plus toolbox has a variety of breakdown flares.

I do miss the under/behind the seat storage of the Tacoma as the 4Runner doesn't have any hidden storage compartments. Right now all stored neatly in a bin plus if needed the TRD Pro has the roof rack...maybe invest in a waterproof/weather proof box for up top (ideas...suggestions?). 

A winch might be in the future but likely only for use with back end hitch initially...do they come with synthetic rope or is that a bit and replace scenario? BTW in the interest of safety and given how cheap they are I bought a weighted hi vis jacket that you place on any tow strap/line to prevent injury/blow back if the line breaks.

I don't have any proper jack..just what the 4Runner came with so that's an obvious but the HiLift/Farmer jack scares the beejeezers out of me and where to connect to avoid damage? I do know with chains they can be used as combo come alongs but 20 - 30 ft of chain weighs too much and takes up too much space..maybe a bottle jack is in my future...other options?

The TRD PRO comes with 2 WD/4WD with Hi/Lo and 5 selection crawl plus electronic rear lockers and COOL tires...back to that grey matter issue 😱

Tracks might be nice...they'd tie down easy on top rack but likely overkill...LOL

Once I get thru this round of add ons next is to move on to replacing Hi/Low beams, fog lights, and backup lights with LEDs...they make a cool Fog light that cycles on/off through white/yellow 🙂

J4B

A 4Runner TRD PRO parked next to me at Home Depot yesterday. Damn it was hard not to go straight to the dealer after that and trade the Taco in...

If I did get one first thing I'd do is take off that roof rack. Already checked it out and it is called the roof rack delete, not that I am thinking of a 4Runner LOL. There are lower profile options out there. Had a box on top the Xterra at times and it really cuts down on gas mileage. And forget about parking garages. Low hanging branches really like to catch on it also.

I've used a HiLift since the 70's and they still scare me. I have a stabilizer for it made by Bogart Manufacturing called the Safe Jack.

I have rock sliders on the Taco as lift points for the Hi Lift. But carry a scissor jack for the Northstar and an electric impact driver. And a come along. Have never felt the need to go deeper into what ever I was stuck in and no one makes a rear bumper with winch mount for the Northstar because of the air conditioner location and exhaust reroute. Or I'd have a rear mount winch also.

When I had my Landcruiser in the 70's and 80's more than once had it deep enough that it wouldn't run and sold the PTO winch. I did pull it out a few times with a come a long, they are slow but work even when your battery is under water. I was much younger back then too though. Now I send the dog in to check the water depth for me

48955926196_29a97123e8_b.jpg

Zkight89

A come-a-long, about 50' of rigging with enough shackles to make it fit any situation, a shovel and an ax are always in my truck box.  With that I can usually get out of most binds.

bmeador

Winch on front of Toyo Tundra. 40' cinch/jerk strap. 2 6' tree saver straps. Shackles, hooks, etc..   Carpet strips for each tire. 3 bottle jacks with 3/4" 2' x 2' plywood base for each. Shovels, hoes. Sand spike thingy (can't remember name of it right now). Satellite phone with 75+ units of service on it whenever I hunt in remote areas. Full survival kit for 2 for 10 days, full trauma kit.  Air compressor and 2 tire repair kit. Can of fix a flat. 13 extra gallons of gas in 2 cans on roof basket.

GLS

The smartest thing I've done in some time was six months ago when I had the 4Runner wired front and aft for the 8500.  I peaked.  It has been all downhill since then, especially today.  Scouting the woods for gobbling activity today and bit off more than I could chew.  I tried to skirt the hole to the left.  I was able to pull my self out backwards and go back the way I came.   I heard two birds.  

warn winch.jpg

mudhole.jpg