REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Jazz4Brazo

Recovery Gear...Who's packing it?

Hammergun

I carry a ARB recovery strap, shackles, shovel, axe, jumper cables and Treds. I have a hi lift jack but with modern 2017 vehicles there’s no place to jack it from. Does anybody have the wheel hooks straps for jacking up a wheel and how do they work. 

Cooter Brown
17 hours ago, GLS said:

The smartest thing I've done in some time was six months ago when I had the 4Runner wired front and aft for the 8500.  I peaked.  It has been all downhill since then, especially today.  Scouting the woods for gobbling activity today and bit off more than I could chew.  I tried to skirt the hole to the left.  I was able to pull my self out backwards and go back the way I came.   I heard two birds. 

warn winch.jpg

A really sensible setup.  You mentioned upthread that the rope took 19 lbs off the unit.  What's the total weight of it now?

UplandHntr

Are there different grades of pins for a receiver? Grade 5, grade 8 etc? Cant say Ive ever seen any

Virgil Kane

Worse situation I have ever been in was when a guy I was hunting with drove my K-5 Blazer off the two track into a mud filled spring at the bottom valley of 2 very steep hills, right in the middle of 40 square miles of paper company owned land.. Had to dig and stand in waist deep water to get to the frame and after a few unsuccessful attempts to get it out with a truck and winch( snapped the cable) I luckily found a logging crew that pulled it out with a skidder and about 100 feet of 1 inch diameter cable. It sat in that mud hole for 3 days during deer season.  Lucky it didn't freeze up with temps being around zero at night, it was fed by an artesian well that kept the water flowing through the mud.

Never again did I give a spare set of keys to anybody I was hunting with, and no, I never did hunt with that jerk again. My K-5 was trash after that.

To answer the question.  I carry a shovel, an axe, 100 feet of tow chain,  a tow strap along with common sense and getting out of my vehicle to check if things look questionable.

Virgil

GLS

CB, If I recall correctly, it's about 85 lbs. now and was 19 pounds heavier with the steel cable according to Warn.  The cost of the Warn winch is only part of the expense.  The cradle is extra and the wiring kit for the long run to the rear is not inexpensive.  Plus I had to have a receiver fitted to the front.  The front wiring kit is relatively inexpensive compared with the long run. All wiring is large gauge wire and can pull serious amperage.   It is disconnected from the battery via a solenoid and a dash switch.  This is a safety feature to take the wiring out of circuit.  A short in the  wiring would be a fire hazard.   As an extra, I have long jumper cables of the same gauge wire which plug into either receptacle and are far better than the lighter gauge wire used in most big box store cables.   I used my check writing skills to install the wiring and front receiver.   8500 lb. capacity is on the light side for the Sequoia, but is perfect for the 4Runner.   There are some nasty holes where I hunt.  One year a buddy came up on a truck in the dark on a main road and all he could see above the water was the rear window.  A friend submerged his truck  on another main road  This is a large military base with 1,000 miles of main roads with 500 miles of secondary.  All are unpaved.  Gil

GLS
8 hours ago, UplandHntr said:

Are there different grades of pins for a receiver? Grade 5, grade 8 etc? Cant say Ive ever seen any

I don't know, but I question concerns about shearing a 5/8" steel pin.  Warn has been in the business for decades and I doubt if they'd design a product that would be that vulnerable to failure in that regard. Gil

Dogwood
4 hours ago, GLS said:

I used my check writing skills to  . . .

I'm gonna use that phrase.  Good one.

Birdcountry70
On 2/29/2020 at 11:13 PM, bruski said:

4WD does not mean you can go everywhere.

All it means is when you get stuck it will be in a far worse place than with a 2WD.

See above. 2WD in, 4WD out.

I've been hearing this my whole life. I think that would leave me with a safe but uneventful hunting season. Many places I hunt would be more realistic to say 2wd stay home 4wd get where you want to go hunting, 4wd all chained up get out of a rough situation. Mostly this applies to my big game hunting. My bird hunting spots tend to be pretty tame.

Chukarman

My F350 has a heavy duty Warn winch with synthetic line, ARB front bumper, air pump, recovery straps, and misc. fittings.

My HZJ73 Landcruiser has a Warn winch, ARB bumper, custom rear bumper, Wsing away carrier, RTT, and some fittings.

But the best recovery gear is a good driver with a sound 4X4 and good tires.

Fishnfowler

Holy smokes, this crowd is prepared.  I generally don't go places that require more than chains, but a hi-lift jack and tow strap have helped me out a few times.  I generally carry a good flashlight and some basic tools. 

gunsrus
On 3/1/2020 at 9:09 AM, GLS said:

While snapped steel cable is a hazard worse than snapped synthetic rope, the snapped rope has significant recoil as well.  Watch this Australian deliberately snap both types of cable using a bulldozer to pull the cables till they snap.  The damage from steel cable is catastrophic, but synthetic rope when it snaps doesn't simply fall to the ground without recoil.  Here's a youtube link to view the testing done:

I'm thinking , walk away and call the professionals after seeing that . 

Cooter Brown
2 hours ago, gunsrus said:

I'm thinking , walk away and call the professionals after seeing that . 

My response to that video is "Don't attach your winch cable to a giant purple rubber band."

OutlawTorn

My truck always has:

• 4x4 with Duratrac's
  • Heavy duty tow strap
  • 12v tire pump
  • Jumper cables
  • Shovels - snow and dirt
  • Sven saw
  • Ratchet straps
  • Tire iron
  • First aid kit / survival bag

Sometimes I feel under-prepared - especially when I see the list some of you have.  But, with a little common sense and erring on the conservative side of my capability, I've never had a problem I couldnt get out of yet.

Jazz4Brazo

Based on what everyone is packing I think I am probably right in the middle which should work for what I do.

At this point I don't see a need for a winch however out of curiosity and boredom if I did decide to go for one what would one recommend?? The 4Runner GVWR is ~6300 lbs but likely running around 5,000 lbs when hunting...using the 1.5X safety rating I've seen those which favor 9,500 - 10,000lbs while other say that 8,000 - 8,500 lbs should suffice especially if you use a pulley to double up on pulling power...their is a huge price jump when jumping up especially if you buy US made vs China...thoughts???

GLS

Epic recover gone seriously bad Down Under: