REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Hunter

Air compressor for the truck

Rogue Hunter

Didn't want to highjack the recovery gear thread, but curious as to what air compressor you have and would you buy it again or different brand/model? Yeah, guess I should add that I'm assuming these compressors are used for inflating tires; if not, please state intended use/s.

UplandHntr

Compressor to run what? 

polecat

I bought a decent size jump start/air compressor combo with 12volt charger from HF with 20% off coupon. I has not been time tested.

Speaks

I have one I got at walmart, their top end portable one is like $45ish. Had one 2 years, backed over it a got another similar one at similar price, its about 2 years in and working well.

C.J.L.

Work gave me a little hand held air compressor gun thing that actually worked really well. About the size of a lunchbox.   Sometimes I'd let air out of the tires when driving on sand or soft ground and that little compressor gun worked great putting air back in my tires.  Not sure of the brand.  Gave it to my daughter to keep in her car cause it was easy to use and she would never put air in her tires otherwise.  

Curt

I keep a small 12 volt compressor in the truck, mine is a ViAir.  It's a pretty neat little unit and allows me to inflate the rear tires on my truck to 80psi in seconds.  I've used it dozens of times and it's worked flawlessly for me.

WPG Gizmo

Depends on your needs do you want a small unit that you can take out or a dedicated unit this one is pricey but it works well https://www.quadratec.com/products/92044_0010.htm and if you shop around you can find it cheaper

terrym

I keep a small one under the seat of the truck, not sure on brand but it works quite well. I actually have helped several people get to a garage with it. Put one in my daughters car too. 

Rockdoc

Last year I purchased a small air compressor that runs off the car battery. Harbor Freight had three models but since I wanted the capability to use it on my 80psi RV tires I chose their $59 top of the line model. I haven't used it on the RV tires yet but I have used it several times on totally flat car tires and it worked very well. Now with the compressor and a tire plugging kit I can fix my tires on the fly and don't have to screw around putting on the spare. As for the tire plugging kit, after many years using them I figure the plugs work 90% of the time, and even when they don't work completely they'll do an adequate job to get to a tire shop. One time I "fixed" a stone cut on a tire out in the boonies. It took two plugs and didn't completely stop the leak but stopped it enough to get me back into town. BTW, I don't ever use Fix-a-Flat out of fear it'll ruin my tire gauge.

Steve

uplandave

I have the Dewalt 20 volt air compressor under the back seat of my truck. Doesn't have a long duty cycle but when I needed to top off my tires it did fine. Dave

WI Outdoor Nut

I run a "slime" brand.  I will say it works to get you to a place that can properly inflate your tire.  For example, I had a low tire on my trailer with 6000#'s.  It could get the tire to 30 pounds or so, but not the 50 I normally run.  Now I guess I could have jacked the trailer up and then it would have done it, but that is a lot of work, when I just needed to get 4 miles to a good pump at a truck stop.  It has also worked after I found a puncture in the tire.  I plugged it, then ran the air up. 

browndrake

I have used this one for the last 6 years.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has come in handy for me and several others throughout that time.  I have used it to inflate tires after letting air out for sand, but primarily for flat repair with a good plug kit

https://www.quadratec.com/products/98002_101.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiA-vLyBRBWEiwAzOkGVIRxdrjM7SiI9mIIdLr5DroaxpQNJJ277QiHko0aCn2wk5zHqbGawhoC5OoQAvD_BwE

Greg Hartman

This is an interesting thread.  My two/seater does not carry a spare to save weight.  It came with a can of fix-a-flat type stuff and a small air compressor.  I’ve used it for years to keep all the vehicle tires properly inflated; and when we go to Okracoke, I use it to reinflate the truck tires after driving on the beach.  Takes a while, but works.

I run the big motorhome tires at 105 psi.  What kind of compressor would I need for those?

Jim Vander
On 3/1/2020 at 8:24 AM, Curt said:

I keep a small 12 volt compressor in the truck, mine is a ViAir.  It's a pretty neat little unit and allows me to inflate the rear tires on my truck to 80psi in seconds.  I've used it dozens of times and it's worked flawlessly for me.

Curt could you post the model number?

Rockdoc
24 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

This is an interesting thread.  My two/seater does not carry a spare to save weight.  It came with a can of fix-a-flat type stuff and a small air compressor.  I’ve used it for years to keep all the vehicle tires properly inflated; and when we go to Okracoke, I use it to reinflate the truck tires after driving on the beach.  Takes a while, but works.

I run the big motorhome tires at 105 psi.  What kind of compressor would I need for those?

The small 12 volt compressor I got at Harbor Freight makes 100psi (or so it claims), but no telling how long it'd take. For my RV I keep a small tank of nitrogen in the behemoth. The nitrogen comes compressed to between 1,500 and 2,000psi. I drop the pressure to 200psi with a regulator and I can fill a tire to 80psi really quick! The nitrogen tank cost about $120 for the first tank after that when it becomes close to empty I just trade it in on another full tank at $20. The regulator cost about $125 and a hose about $20. Easy peasy even for a non-gear freak.

Steve