REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
WI Outdoor Nut

Tool for getting unstuck

WI Outdoor Nut

I purchased these back awhile ago to get me out of a sticky situation if one came about, mostly thinking about hunting.  I have a set of chains, but to be honest, once you are stuck they are a pia to get on, and you can't do it without getting very dirty in the process.  A buddy of mine had these and said he liked it.  Fast forward to last weekend, and I was pulling my ice shack off the lake.  I hit a drift I could not see due to flat light and I was buried.  My son and I worked with a shovel for an hour plus, moving the vehicle a few feet at a time.  It finally occurred to me to strap these bad boys on.  I WALK out of the drift and continued through a few other nasty areas with minimal effort.  If you are one who finds yourself off road, these are a great tool. 

A few notes however, you don't want to "spin" when these are on and you can break the strap when you hook up.  So a slow steady pressure is the key.  They will bind on your wheel.  To take the pressure off, back up.  Mine have a slightly different strap connection, more like a tie down.  A bit easier to get off.  For the cost, well worth the tool they provide. 

Tire Blocks 

Dogwood

Did you use them on 2 or 4 wheels?

WI Outdoor Nut
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

Did you use them on 2 or 4 wheels?

Two, just the rears.  This was on a Honda Pilot.  I can turn off the limited slip, and if in 1st or 2nd, can lock all 4 wheels.  I was very stuck at the time, but once I added the blocks, just popped out. 

Greg Hartman

How do they work in gumbo mud?

bobman

Greg

they work great in Kansas clay it’s a great product 

I’ve been touting them on here for years, what “Wi outdoor nut” said about going easy on the gas is the key to using them,  don’t spin the tires

my camper van was stuck in mud I strapped on mine and eased out and I bet it weighs 7 or 8 thousand pounds

you use them to get out of the spot, then take them back off, which is simple, I just rinsed mine off and keep them in a bag in my camper. Don’t drive around with them on I think it would probably beat them up and the wheel would sure be out of balance

if I had a 4x4 I would buy two sets 

Wi outdoor nut that tip about tapping reverse once you get out to loosen them is one I’ll remember, thanks

I had to get a hammer out of my tool box and tap them back down the tire to get the tension off the step and get them unbuckled ( this would make sense if you saw them in a wheel)

grouse28
33 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

How do they work in gumbo mud?

After your last close call,  you should consider some for your feet. 😇

Lurch

for even more traction, they make some that extend out twice as wide. I think Cat Tracks is the company I was talkwing with about them last year at teh NTEA Work Truck Show (starts tomorrow in Indy - will be looknig fro them again).

Swampy 16

Gotta get a set.