REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Keith

Garmin watches...which one fits my needs best?

Keith

I where a watch every day all the time...just an inexpensive Timex analog indiglo. I'm looking at the,Garmin watches to pair to my dog collar but also want it to fit my daily use as a.watch. One of the main features I want is to be able to see the time at night. Do any of them have a button that illuminates the dial? I haven't seen that listed. I see the Vivoactive 3 is going for about $130 now....would prefer not to spend a bunch more but if the features warrant it that's ok too

thanks

Keith

Fire Marshal Bill

My Garmin Instinct does everything you want and more. It does illuminate when you push the button same as your Timex. I know because I wanted that same feature when I was looking at the Garmin watches. I have to say I really like my Garmin Instinct. 

gaberdeen

Instinct like Wayne said. Works well.

Riverhunter55

I had the exact same needs as you for a watch and the Instinct fits the bill and a whole lot more. I honestly cant believe how much I use some of the other features. The only thing I am not impressed with is the distance in which it loses signal with my phone. For the most part my phone has to be in the same room as my watch to receive messages on my watch.

Ridge Runner

Have had Garmin Vivoactive HR for years.  Paid around $150 at the time, and best money spent in a long time.  Extremely Well pleased and still running well.   Recently bought a Vivoactive 3 for when the HR gives out, as couldn't beat the price.  ~$100 on sale @ Walmart at the time.  Anyway, great watch.  Definitely made some nice improvements over the HR.   Does all I want and more.   While I use many of its features now, besides the most important tracking function, there are still many more available that I haven't looked into, so can't see spending more for things I won't probably use anyway.  Has GPS, heart rate, fitness related data, mapping, all kinds of watch faces and other apps and on and on.  

I don't have the screen turned on all the time, as well, the screen does use battery time,  and there is only so much space in a watch on your wrist.  But, it is capable of being programmed to turn on when touched, or when incoming messages, calls, texts, etc. come in or apps launch.  So, not wasting battery when not using.  I have it programmed to turn on when I rotate my wrist and thus watch screen towards my face.  Think they call it gesture mode.  Anyway, flick the wrist and the light comes on.  Works well for me, and keeps battery drain manageable.

Bottom line if I smashed it today, I would be replacing it, asap, today if possible,  now that we have woodcock flights passing thru and I have a Pup needing the experience.   Don't think you will be disappointed.  I know I am not.

grouse28

I have the Instinct, like it when hunting when paired with the dog collars.

I try to use it as an everyday watch. It is just too large for me, biggest complaint is reaching into my pocket for change and it hangs up on the pocket lip. Oft times a button then gets pushed and I am in neverland.

Yes I do use cash in day to day transactions, Cro Magnon man.

Jacksdad

Holding out hope that Garmin gives up an app for the apple watch so it can link with their collars.  I truly hate Garmin interfaces and love Apple interfaces (with a couple very notable exceptions).  

Speaks
19 hours ago, Keith said:

I where a watch every day all the time...just an inexpensive Timex analog indiglo. I'm looking at the,Garmin watches to pair to my dog collar but also want it to fit my daily use as a.watch. One of the main features I want is to be able to see the time at night. Do any of them have a button that illuminates the dial? I haven't seen that listed. I see the Vivoactive 3 is going for about $130 now....would prefer not to spend a bunch more but if the features warrant it that's ok too

thanks

Keith

It lights up automatically with movement. Ive had mine a monthand love it. Less bulky than pheonix and does everything i want.

snood

That's a really handy feature - when you turn your wrist up to look at the time it lights up for you.

Marc Ret
9 hours ago, grouse28 said:

I try to use it as an everyday watch. It is just too large for me, biggest complaint is reaching into my pocket for change and it hangs up on the pocket lip. Oft times a button then gets pushed and I am in neverland.

You have the pink one, right?

grouse28
23 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

You have the pink one, right?

IT’S ORANGE!!!!!!🤬

Marc Ret
45 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

IT’S ORANGE!!!!!!🤬

Your Instinct can identify as any color it wants...

Jazz4Brazo
11 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Have you thought about putting your change in your other pocket🤔 Just saying 🤫👍😄

Speaks

One reason I took the viveoactive over instinct was size snd overall form factor. Instinct is huge and bulky. Viveoactive is about same as my smaller dress watches. 

Side benefit for old guys is the heart rate monitor can connect through cardiogram into deep heart (an ia heart condition predictor) which can warn you through the app of many types of heart conditions. Not sure about instinct but pheonix does not have the monitor. 

DD Huntress
On 3/3/2020 at 10:03 AM, grouse28 said:

I have read about the Instinct but have not actually seen them. I have 2 Alpha 100s. I love their functionality but hate the size of them. When running Barrett I wear it on a lanyard and never look at it unless he is on point. When running Luger, my naughty one, I hold it in my hand so I can see how far away he is. He is a running son of a ***** and if there is any fur in the vicinity, he is on it. He has developed a strong liking for coyotes. So I thought an Instinct might be handy. However, how big is too big? Can you pair with more than one Alpha? Sometimes Diver and I use the Alphas to keep track of each other when hunting thick or treed cover. Can you pair 2 Instincts? 

Wouldn't it be nice to have something small that functions as a gps with training buttons?