REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Keith

Garmin watches...which one fits my needs best?

Curt

I have the Instinct watch as well, bought it strictly to pair with my Astro 430 for the dog tracking.  I never wear it day to day for the watch functions because I feel it's to big and bulky for that purpose, at least for me.  It works great for tracking the dogs however and has a gazillion other electronic features that I'll never use.  Garmin makes some pretty nice stuff.

readgriff

Does the Fenix models have large font feature?

Speaks
On 3/20/2020 at 8:03 AM, Curt said:

I have the Instinct watch as well, bought it strictly to pair with my Astro 430 for the dog tracking.  I never wear it day to day for the watch functions because I feel it's to big and bulky for that purpose, at least for me.  It works great for tracking the dogs however and has a gazillion other electronic features that I'll never use.  Garmin makes some pretty nice stuff.

I got the viveoactive for this reason, size was more like a regular watch. I thought I would only use it when running dogs but now wear it daily. 

gunsrus
31 minutes ago, readgriff said:

Yes , on another thread Cooter explains how . 

ScenicRoute
On 3/3/2020 at 11:45 AM, Jacksdad said:

Holding out hope that Garmin gives up an app for the apple watch so it can link with their collars.  I truly hate Garmin interfaces and love Apple interfaces (with a couple very notable exceptions).  

that would be amazing. 

ScenicRoute
On 3/3/2020 at 11:45 AM, Jacksdad said:

Holding out hope that Garmin gives up an app for the apple watch so it can link with their collars.  I truly hate Garmin interfaces and love Apple interfaces (with a couple very notable exceptions).  

that would be amazing. 

Cooter Brown
On 3/20/2020 at 8:54 AM, DD Huntress said:

I have read about the Instinct but have not actually seen them. I have 2 Alpha 100s. I love their functionality but hate the size of them. When running Barrett I wear it on a lanyard and never look at it unless he is on point. When running Luger, my naughty one, I hold it in my hand so I can see how far away he is. He is a running son of a ***** and if there is any fur in the vicinity, he is on it. He has developed a strong liking for coyotes. So I thought an Instinct might be handy. However, how big is too big? Can you pair with more than one Alpha? Sometimes Diver and I use the Alphas to keep track of each other when hunting thick or treed cover. Can you pair 2 Instincts? 

Wouldn't it be nice to have something small that functions as a gps with training buttons? 

DDH, if I understand what you're asking, neither the Instinct nor the other Garmin watches are stand alone dog trackers.  They are used in conjunction with an Alpha or Astro and communicate with the handheld via something like a Bluetooth connection.  Garmin says they need to be within 8 feet of each other.

Physical size of the Instinct is right at 1 13/16" (46mm) across the body.  Big but not ridiculous.

You carry the handheld in the way most comfortable and convenient for its use as a training tool and GPS nav aid, and simply look at your wrist to keep track of the dog/dogs.  When a point is established, the watch shows a text notification and vibrates.  I think it can be set up to tone as well.

The "widget" (what Garmin calls an app) that comes preinstalled on the Instinct is very simple and only shows distance and direction to the dog/dogs, and notifies when it's on point with a vibration--there's also a little graphic of a dog that changes when point is established.  You can view more than one dog at time with small numbers, and one dog at a time with big fat numbers.

There are after market widgets that can be downloaded that show pretty much all the info and stats that are on the handheld.  I'm pretty sure that would include the "contact" info that allows you to track a hunting partner.  I don't know for sure that these after market widgets work with the Instinct, but since all that info is on the handheld I don't need it on the watch--the simpler the better on that interface for me.

As far as pairing with more than one handheld, it's worked seamlessly for me.  With the Instinct it's a matter of which one it's near when you turn on the widget.  There's an "Ignore Transmitter" function on the watch that can come into play but that's getting a bit in the weeds.

If all this sounds complicated, it's really not, unless you want it to be.  The simplicity of the watch interface--at least the simple widget that is preinstalled on the Instinct--actually makes things less complicated.  It's really nice not to have to pull out the handheld unless I need it for nav or recalling the dog with the vibrate function or (rarely) dog zapping.

Good luck getting a collar on a coyote.

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, readgriff said:

56 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Yes , on another thread Cooter explains how . 

I don't know nothing about the Fenix.  But I'm sure it has that function like the Instinct does.  It might work the same--press the button at 10 o'clock to change to big nos, the button at 8 o'clock is "Back" and restores the small nos.

Virgil Kane

So with the Instinct. Tactical model or regular model ?  I haven't jumped since leaving the Army so don't need that feature but it does have the nighttime display. So the question is, is the tactical model worth the extra $$ ?

Virgil   

ScenicRoute
31 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

So with the Instinct. Tactical model or regular model ?  I haven't jumped since leaving the Army so don't need that feature but it does have the nighttime display. So the question is, is the tactical model worth the extra $$ ?

Virgil   

Tactical has two features that I can see that differentiate between the regular version. Night vision readable...so if you aren’t using night vision it’s not necessary and stealth mode...which hides your locations and history.  

airmedic1

I bought the Fenix 5X before Christmas as a present to myself.  I loved everything about it but the size, it was to big.  I bought it partially because I needed a watch but I also wanted the interface with my Astro 430.  I have struggled for years trying to find a good way to carry the Astro so it was secure but I still had quick access to find the dogs when they go on point in heavy cover and to get an idea how far they are out.  The Fenix solved that and once I received it I never hunted without it and I could put the Astro in a pocket and not have to worry about it.  That completely changed what hunting vest I could use because I didn’t need that quick access to the Astro.

The size of the Fenix was still an issue so when I saw the Instinct on sale for $199 from a UJ Board sponsor I bought it on an impulse.  I love it and only take it off to shower.  I like the features it records about my health at night and the fact that it has a watch face that makes it easier for my old eyes to see.  I have used it a few times with the Astro and it works great.  I still have the Fenix and my only regret is that I bought it first and wasted the $299.  I doubt that I will ever use it again..

The only con is the lack of aftermarket programs that are available for the Instinct.  I downloaded a dog tracking interface that I liked better for the Fenix but it’s not available for the Instinct.

ScenicRoute
22 minutes ago, airmedic1 said:

I bought the Fenix 5X before Christmas as a present to myself.  I loved everything about it but the size, it was to big.  I bought it partially because I needed a watch but I also wanted the interface with my Astro 430.  I have struggled for years trying to find a good way to carry the Astro so it was secure but I still had quick access to find the dogs when they go on point in heavy cover and to get an idea how far they are out.  The Fenix solved that and once I received it I never hunted without it and I could put the Astro in a pocket and not have to worry about it.  That completely changed what hunting vest I could use because I didn’t need that quick access to the Astro.

The size of the Fenix was still an issue so when I saw the Instinct on sale for $199 from a UJ Board sponsor I bought it on an impulse.  I love it and only take it off to shower.  I like the features it records about my health at night and the fact that it has a watch face that makes it easier for my old eyes to see.  I have used it a few times with the Astro and it works great.  I still have the Fenix and my only regret is that I bought it first and wasted the $299.  I doubt that I will ever use it again..

The only con is the lack of aftermarket programs that are available for the Instinct.  I downloaded a dog tracking interface that I liked better for the Fenix but it’s not available for the Instinct.

Want to sell the Fenix?