REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
DoubleAuto

Back Up Camera For "Old Truck"

DoubleAuto

I bought a 2017 Highlander.  I really like the backup camera on it.  I would like to get a backup camera installed on my 1998 F-150.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a good backup camera that can be installeed on older vehicles?  Thanks.

Remo

Good topic, I have a bobcat skid steer that is impossible to see behind when backing up. I was thinking mirrors but branches would knock them out of wack.

Cold Iron

I have a large screen Garmin Nuvi that I switch between my truck and Polaris Northstar. So made sense for me to go with the Garmin BC 30 wireless backup camera on the Northstar. Wired it to a powered switch and when I can't see out the back going down a County or NF road I can hit the rocker switch and see when a logging truck is coming up on me. Or anything else for that matter.

Lurch

I grabbed one at AutoZone for about $100 - seems like they're down to about $70 now.  Camera mounts to the top of the license plate, wires into the trailer plug wiring. Has a small screen that runs off the cig lighter. Keep it in the glovebox til  you need it, then plug it in. Stays off until the reverse warning wire goes hot, then starts transmissing. Was great for hooking up trailers while running solo.

Installed a similar one over chirstmas on my dad's Mule - he's got back/neck issues and is tough for him to turn around easy, so makes it easier for him to back the Mule into the shed or hook it up to the log splitter, etc.

C.J.L.

Interesting subject.  Looking at trucks last night I kept asking myself why do all these new vehicles have navigation systems and back up cameras. I don't get it, but might have to get it.  Looking forward to this one.  

dogrunner

Have had them on my trucks since they came out. Driving on dirt you need to constantly keep it clean or you see very little, I clean it off every time I stop for gas but even then its not enough usually. 

Lurch
56 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Interesting subject.  Looking at trucks last night I kept asking myself why do all these new vehicles have navigation systems and back up cameras. I don't get it, but might have to get it.  Looking forward to this one.  

I think cameras are mandated now (though not GPS), like seatbelts and ABS became. I think since 2018

Greg Hartman
1 hour ago, C.J.L. said:

Having bought my first new truck in many years last summer, I can tell you that I LOVE all of the new gadgets that I didn't even know existed!  I can back-up (with a cap which makes it even more difficult to see behind) into a tiny parking space with no effort or worries at all.  The nav system, the phone system, the B&O sound system, the safety stuff (for example, the steering wheel vibration if I am drifting out of a lane), the blind spot radar, that can be changed to include a towed trailer or boat if you are towing, the amazing "adaptive" cruise control, the automatic headlights that are so much faster than I can be, etc, etc are all great; not to mention all of the different ways to set the dash instruments to show whatever you want.

8-17-19 - Windsong sign and Ranger

I have a CDL and am used to using mirrors on the big diesel MH to back up and maneuver in small spaces; and never gave any thought to the modern screens, etc.  Now having the truck and really appreciating the modern electronics, I find myself wishing I had them on the MH, too.  

5-28-19  On the road again

To me, this is akin to being a dedicate user of a flip phone without ever having had a smart phone.  Those folks are likely to make fun of smart phone users.  Yes, I was just such a person years ago...  They don't know any different.  But, once they get a smart phone and learn to use it, they never look back.  Modern electronics in trucks are that big of a difference, to me anyway.

Marc Ret

Like the new sign, Greg. 

Dogwood

Backup cameras are worth every penny along with warning sensors.

Dogwood
13 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Like the new sign, Greg. 

Oh yeah missed that one!  Geez you're in deep now.  Better have her sign a pre-nup!

Greg Hartman
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

Oh yeah missed that one!  Geez you're in deep now.  Better have her sign a pre-nup!

Thanks, Marc and Jeff.  The old one said "The Hartmans" on it. 

1-23-16 - Windsong sign

Figured it was time to change the sign.  We are both lucky people now, after each having lived through some very hard times with our ill and dying spouses.  

Dogwood

Awe.  That's romantic!  I'll bey Nancy was pleased.

casts_by_fly

I'm a young guy.  Always drove with mirrors, never wanted latest and greatest tech.  I had an iphone 4 until not that long ago and have always tuck to 2-3 generations behind current on most things.  When my wife got her first car with a camera, I ignored the camera entirely.  Then it came in handy here and there.  Now, a camera is a must for me.  I still use the mirrors on my truck to back up (and auto tilting mirrors on reverse are really nice most of the time) but there are certain times that you just can't beat the camera for seeing exactly where you are and how close to that wall/line/car.  I'm also a bit OCD about being straight in a parking space and not overhanging front or back so the camera solves that problem.  Mine is built in so can't help the original question other than to say just do it.

rick

Mike da Carpenter
7 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

Back up cameras have saved countless marriages.  Now she/he (don’t want to leave anyone out) can sit quietly inside the vehicle and watch you back effortlessly up to the trailer hitch.