REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
1971snipe

Gardening 2020

Alaskan Swamp Collie
12 hours ago, OldSarge said:

I still have 18” of snow on my garden ☹️

You're lucky, I have 3 feet and it is supposed to snow again tomorrow. That said my tomatoes and peppers are up, going to start the broccoli soon. Went to LED grow lights this last year, look weird but the starts seem to do better than under the old fluorescent bulbs even when I used the special plant bulbs. Was almost cheaper to buy the whole LED system than just replacing the bulbs.

rideold

We were ready to dig the garden and put in spring seeds but it never dried out enough before the next snow storm hit.  Maybe in a week.

BBlizzard18

Dug up some horseradish from the garden today.  Beef roast with horseradish sauce on the menu for tomorrow night.  

79AAC35C-A45D-4B8C-BA8C-761A2BA09A92.jpeg

05D5950C-91A6-4170-BB25-9D7D3CA9749D.jpeg

Alaskan Swamp Collie
On 3/19/2020 at 9:26 AM, Treerooster said:

Just spread my compost and rototilled/raked the annual garden. Got it done just in time for the storm hitting today. Has already rained about 1/2" and its turning to snow now. Supposed to be a blizzard later today and down into the teens for a low. Glad I got it tilled & raked as the moisture on it will just help.

Spreading the compost.

1230365403_Garden2020spreadingcompostResized.thumb.JPG.350e23ab80b3f539d04d80a7b3d2c371.JPG

Rototilled and partially raked.

555397274_Garden2020rototilledpratialrakedResized.thumb.JPG.fe7edbc35747370c0503c5024ea64a86.JPG

All set and ready for the storm to hit.

1250762966_Garden2020rototilledrakedResized.thumb.JPG.6aacb819a7f2fb4b55ab490d2b0bc73e.JPG

Well, I'm embarrassed. My garden is a ragtag collection of old tires and repurposed showerdoors from remodels. Though I will say old tires make great raised beds and they are free at tire stores. They also can handle uneven ground and it is easy to add another couple of feet of garden space.

Treerooster
7 hours ago, Alaskan Swamp Collie said:

Well, I'm embarrassed. My garden is a ragtag collection of old tires and repurposed showerdoors from remodels. Though I will say old tires make great raised beds and they are free at tire stores. They also can handle uneven ground and it is easy to add another couple of feet of garden space.

I use to have old railroad ties around my garden. Got those free back around 1990. They were rotting by now and then a friend gave me a bunch of stones, a big bunch. So I recently replaced the ties, no cost but my labor. I did have to buy a heavy duty dolly (about $80) but I needed that anyways to put a new wood stove in my cabin. 

Fishnfowler

I got the wood cut today for 4 new raised beds.  The gophers have won the war.  Anything they might eat goes into a raised bed with hardware cloth on the bottom. Got all my seeds today also as I'm thinking the local hardware store will close down soon.  Am going to plant a few things I usually don't mess with, corn and artichokes.  Will post photos when things get rolling.

salmontogue

We may cancel gardening this year thanks to an over-abundance of deer, bears, moose, woodchucks, coons, possums, skunks, turkeys et al.  The last few years have been total frustration with wildlife freeloaders everywhere.  You know it has become really bad when moose look in at the kitchen window, herds of deer feed in the fields close to last years gardens and a particularly friendly bear takes up temporary residence in the tandem axle stake body trailer that is used for dump runs.

Perk

polecat

Any way to make arugula taste good? I found some growing while I was cleaning out the cold frame today. I just smells like skunk but I know its good for you.

1971snipe

That horseradish looks great!  Don't know about arugula. 

Blackberries here are blooming.  Muscadines are budding, and so is the plum tree.    The sure sign that winter is done, though, is the pecan tree that's now budding.  

Brad Eden

Two days ago I was raking leaves from between the raised beds and the back yard. Was planning on pulling off the old black plastic and start a general bed prep. Then woke up to 8 inches of snow yesterday. Even with a nice melt the garden area is encased in several inches of snow right now. Such is life, such is Maine.

Mike da Carpenter

Since they are off of school, I had the boys spread peat moss and turn it into the garden a couple days ago in hopes that 2 months of wet weather to come will help out the soil this year.  

The boys did a science experiment to figure out what our soil PH is.  They dug up samples from within the garden, mixed them all together, moistened the soil enough so that when they placed pool/spa PH check strips on the dirt and kept adding water and mixing till it registered on the chart.  Actually, I was quite impressed with how they came up with the idea and implemented it.

Also started a tray of seeds (96) from a red bell pepper that I ate one day that was the best tasting pepper with the deepest red color I have ever seen.  I’m very hopeful they sprout, grow and produce.  That’s another project the boys decided to do to get involved in putting food on the table.  

BBlizzard18
3 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Also started a tray of seeds (96) from a red bell pepper that I ate one day that was the best tasting pepper with the deepest red color I have ever seen.  I’m very hopeful they sprout, grow and produce.  

If it was from a hybrid plant you might be disappointed! Still might be interesting to see what the plants produce though.  

Mike da Carpenter
15 minutes ago, BBlizzard18 said:

If it was from a hybrid plant you might be disappointed! Still might be interesting to see what the plants produce though.  

that was my thoughts too, especially after talking to the guy who runs our greenhouse.  He told me there is a chance (although small) that it will grow, but the seeds typically don’t produce.

Alaskan Swamp Collie
7 hours ago, BBlizzard18 said:

Along that line. I had a type of hybrid pepper that worked extremely well for me. Large size, great flavor and heavy producer. It was called planet pepper, PP700. Now I can't find any one who has seeds. Used to get 10 seeds in a packet for an outrageous amount, but they were worth it. Tried all the sources I could think of to get seeds. Any ideas?

BBlizzard18
7 hours ago, Alaskan Swamp Collie said:

Along that line. I had a type of hybrid pepper that worked extremely well for me. Large size, great flavor and heavy producer. It was called planet pepper, PP700. Now I can't find any one who has seeds. Used to get 10 seeds in a packet for an outrageous amount, but they were worth it. Tried all the sources I could think of to get seeds. Any ideas?

I suppose that’s one of the problems growing hybrids, you rely on the company who owns the patent and produces the seed.  I’m not sure what happens to these hybrids, like your planet pepper, when they disappear. The “intellectual property” likely sits in a file somewhere collecting dust.  Maybe experiment with some heirloom varieties that have similar characteristics.  You could always create your own hybrid! That would be cool.