REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
1971snipe

Gardening 2020

Chief Paduke

8-A706-CC3-BBDE-4-BC4-AE06-B72-B25028-EEtemporary picture upload

Still a month from planting, but tilled it anyway. 

BBlizzard18
On 4/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, Fishnfowler said:

My rootstock arrived yesterday.  I'm grafting 5 apples and 6 pears.  The apples are off a very old tree.  My 90 year old patient tells me the tree was mature when she moved into the house as a little girl.  It puts off a giant sweet apple of unknown lineage, (think it might be a Gravenstein).  I gave her a grafted tree as a present years ago and she gave that to her Son.  She told me this year that a bunch of grandchildren were interested in getting trees also, so I took cuttings back in Feb.  Will put them on full-sized rootstock to make giant treea and she will give them to Grandchildren to plant in their yards.  The pears are for me.  I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be starting fruit trees and wonder if I will live to see them fruit, but will go for it anyway.  Two kinds of Asian pears, an early sweet pear, and a winter pear.  I'll keep one of the apples also. 

Nice.  It sounds like the family really likes that tree, and it means something to them.  I got into grafting a couple years ago, it's fun.  My mother in-law was saddened by a flowering crab apple that was (is) shedding large branches and on it's way out.  I don't know how long crabs typically live for, but her guess is that it was planted by the original owners of the house back in the 1800's.  This was my first attempt at grafting, I bought 20 rootstock, hoping to get a couple successful grafts, and ended up with 18 trees. I used the "whip and tongue" graft.  We now have clones spread all over the valley at various houses of relatives and friends.   I cut a couple of the scions off those rootstock yesterday and did some cleft grafts with a wild tree that I really like.  Pears on on my list of things to plant this spring, we use to have a pear tree that was planted by my wife's grandfather, and it fell down down last year.  I'm not seeing any pears that can handle zone 4, at least for sale on the websites of nursery's, anybody know of any?     

Fishnfowler

I get my rootstock from Raintree nursery, they have a pear quince rootstock rated down to zone 5, (quince province BA 29c).  Might be risky, but suspect it will survive.  We are rated at zone 6, but will occasionally get down to -20 F.  I've had good success with the suckers that the old home/farmingdale cross varieties throw off.  I'm guessing they are pure old home, but they are vigorous and grow a nice tree.  I've taken several suckers and converted them to rootstock which are my hardiest trees.  If I had known, I'd of sent you one to try as I had several this spring that I've been working on and separated from the parent root last year.  Are there any suckers coming off the roots of the tree that came down?  They might be your best bet for a variety that is tolerant to your region.

Birdcountry70
On 4/3/2020 at 5:20 PM, Chief Paduke said:

8-A706-CC3-BBDE-4-BC4-AE06-B72-B25028-EEtemporary picture upload

Still a month from planting, but tilled it anyway. 

All the green in this photo makes me seriously question why I live where I do.

bmeador

We are doing pretty good so far this year. Already picking snow peas, first sowing of 3 kinds of lettuce and spinach are up. 8 cabbages,  8 cauliflower,  16 broccoli, 4 Better Boy toms, 4 Cherry toms and 4 Roma toms in ground. Also 4 green Bell peppers in ground. We use a bunch of buckets so we can move plants around - limited sunlight. We're trying some toms and peppers early just to see, and can move them under cover if a frost comes along.

20200402_164909.jpg

BBlizzard18
42 minutes ago, Fishnfowler said:

I get my rootstock from Raintree nursery, they have a pear quince rootstock rated down to zone 5, (quince province BA 29c).  Might be risky, but suspect it will survive.  We are rated at zone 6, but will occasionally get down to -20 F.  I've had good success with the suckers that the old home/farmingdale cross varieties throw off.  I'm guessing they are pure old home, but they are vigorous and grow a nice tree.  I've taken several suckers and converted them to rootstock which are my hardiest trees.  If I had known, I'd of sent you one to try as I had several this spring that I've been working on and separated from the parent root last year.  Are there any suckers coming off the roots of the tree that came down?  They might be your best bet for a variety that is tolerant to your region.

No suckers, just a dead rotting stump, unfortunately.  I did find a list of varieties to try in my zone, but haven't located a nursery that sells any, yet.  I'm assuming I'll need at least two varieties for pollination.  I just double checked the hardiness map, and it looks like I'm 5a, but 4b is right above my upper field, which I can see from where I sit.  I might experiment with some zone 5 plants, they seem to be widely available.  

OldSarge

Any day now and I’ll be able to see the ground. 

image.jpg

Alaskan Swamp Collie
6 hours ago, OldSarge said:

Any day now and I’ll be able to see the ground. 

image.jpg

I'm jealous.

rideold

I got most the garden cleaned out and turned about a 1/4 of it.  The other 1/4 is under garlic.  The weather on the front range is turning warmer and drier now so it's time to prune the grapes and get in the peas and such.  Hope to take enough breaks from work today to get another 1/4 turned.  That'll be enough for the spring garden.  The rest can wait for summer plantings.

GAupland

My son wanted to plant a box garden, so we built it a few weekends ago. He loves it. The pointer walked around in it a few times until the square foot string went up. He’s started cukes, orange bell peppers, beans, corn, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, and some generic salad greens I haven’t identified. 

Great teaching tool while he’s home from school with COVID. 

8CE3AE81-CD14-40BF-99BC-A9E1E83DF38C.jpeg

Felix

5 or 6 years ago, I put 10 or 12 asparagus crowns in along a fence in my yard. I have been harvesting enough for me and the wife every spring for a couple of years now. The first of this year made an appearance today. (The purple dots in this picture)

498F2A1D-AC04-494A-9437-62A76DBBA070.thumb.jpeg.6f2a94fab2bd23e0f44d21cb0d91f672.jpeg

Felix

I had to put a small fence up to keep out the marauders that like to chew on the asparagus. Especially that big guy in the back.

BB0C66CA-BDB3-45BA-9B3C-7571D7D18253.thumb.jpeg.b79d24d01dbc9ba85a4da113de4e0f88.jpeg

Two Barrels

It has been a few years since we had a garden.  We will get started with planting this week.  Everything has been tilled twice.  Lime and fertilizer are tilled in and plants were bought today.  I usually just buy tomato, pepper, and eggplant as started plants from the feed store.  Everything else will be direct planted.  Before the sun sets Saturday, we should have tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants set out.  In addition, the corn, green beans, butter peas, yellow squash, cucumber, and butternut squash will be planted.  I will not plant okra and crowder peas until late May or early June.

This past Saturday we were able to get the irrigation pump running that we use to pump water from the creek below the garden.  When checking out the creek I noticed an uncommon for our area black bear track.  I guess the strawberry farm 1/2 mile away will get hit pretty hard once they ripen.  Saw plenty of raccoon tracks too.  I will have to battle them for my corn again this year.

My son who is home from college because of Covid has been telling his friends that “dad is planting the apocolypse garden”.  That made me laugh.

Reading the posts above about grafting fruit trees is very interesting.  I need to learn more about that.  There are a few old worn out apple trees in my Grandfather’s small orchard that I would love to get a graft from and perhaps a few trees.

1971snipe

First blackberry.  All others on the vines are still green.  This one turned red and ripened all by its lonesome.   

IMG_20200409_093558392.jpg

gwponr

It has been strange year here in So Cal, I can usually grow year round here and winter is pretty bountiful. My broccoli, cabbage lettuce, cauliflower, chard and kale usually grow great all winter into spring, then summer is to hot for them. This winter my lettuce sat 2" high for 3 months before it started growing, finally the last month Ive had lettuce kale and chard to eat, my celery had planted for winter had the outside stalks and leaves brown up from the cold. I have about 55 garlic plants that went in right before winter, my carrots and beets are finally starting to grow. We have had 3 days of rain every week for the last 4 weeks, last week 5 days of rain the official rainfall for my area was 6.35" but mine and my neighbors rain gauges recorded over 9".  My renegade potatoes that were up and looking goo are dying from all the water there is still enough water in my garden to float som duck decoys. Rained again Monday but not much more out today suppose to be 78 tomorrow and sunny rest of week so hopefully stuff will start to get going

My blood orange tree produce a great crop of oranges this winter, super sweet and more than 50. Not bad for a small tree I planted less than three years ago. I is liking the moisture and the happy frog citrus fertilizer I put on it the beginning of last month it has grown a foot in the last month and a half.