Gardening 2020

On 3/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, Clueless1 said:

Who has a good lead on heirloom tomato seeds? 

They’re pretty readily available these days. I typically get mine from either Seed Savers Exchange or Baker Creek

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BBlizzard18

• Alaskan Swamp Collie

• Brad Eden

• 1971snipe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dug up some horseradish from the garden today.  Beef roast with horseradish sauce on the menu for tomorrow night.  

The snow softened up enough today for me to snowblow the garden today. I should be able to plant lettuce, carrots in 5 weeks or so. 

Garden/raised beds still under some snow but it is melting. I won’t even start thinking about the vegetable garden until mid April and won’t start prep or seed sowing until May. Planting transplants e

Posted Images

Brad Eden

IMG_1125.JPG

We have a few dairy and beef critter farms around here. So I can get the real stuff. But typically look for sales on the 20-30 pound bags of composted manure you find at hardware stores etc. I’ll dump a couple bags of that in a 4x8 bed...and I’m not opposed to sprinkling in a dose of 5-10-10 commercial fertilizer in that brew too...and fork/spread it in as deep as I can handle. I built a couple new raised beds last spring and had a local farmer drop off a few yards of a mixture of manure compost and top soil. Stuff grew pretty good in those beds.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:24 AM, Korthaar said:

I've kept a little journal with the year's garden plan sketched, what crops were planted, and in which beds. I make little observations on successes and failures. It's 15 yrs old now, a little history book.

I do something similar. Started with a loose-leaf notebook and photos taped to the sheets. Several years ago I converted over to a free Wordpress blog and now do entries in that. Easy to add digital pics, do searches, keyword, etc. At some point I’ll probably convert it to a paper book so can pass it on in hard copy. 

Treerooster

I compost all my garden refuse and turn rototill it in when the ground thaws, which it did just recently. I don't build the compost until summer and only turn it once. So I am always a year behind with the compost using 2018's refuse in 2020. I just pile up the garden refuse (and leaves) and let it sit overwinter. It does shrink down quite a bit. Grass clippings are used as mulch for weed control & moisture retention. It also helps even the soil temperature during our hot dry summers here in Colorado. My garden is big and my lawn small so I get grass clippings from 3 of my neighbors.

I'll plant seeds in early April to mid, onion, carrot, pea, broccoli cabbage & spinach. I'll start tomatoes & peppers inside around mid April but won't plant them outside until June. I turkey hunt until the end of May so I plant a bit late. Squash gets seeded in June also. Asparagus will be coming up soon. Raspberries are cut to the ground in late November so they all come due in September to be froze or made into jelly.

BBlizzard18

My understanding of “no till” gardening/farming is it prevents the break-up of soil particles known as soil aggregates.   When you till you’re breaking up the particles of soil held together by organic matter.  This negatively impacts the water retention, beneficial bacteria, fungi, nutrient/mineral availability, and destroys beneficial microorganisms and their habitat.   

I’ve experimented with it, but find it difficult to manage given the amount of mulch and cover needed.  The soil in our main garden seems to disappear after big rain events, so I’m usually adding lots of composted manure every year.  

We were looking into the no till technique for our food plots last year, it involves planting a cover crop, roller crimping the cover, then drilling seeds into the dead cover.  The equipment needed was too much for now.  

OHhamster

It’s a small set but here’s mine so far46FE2F17-63C1-45BD-BEF5-E7B9DC4B6726.thumb.jpeg.80bc6957a162d43c0d0598ab6e11766d.jpeg

DD Huntress

My grandchildren call this my witches garden. I told them I use these herbs to make potions lol. Barrett's on thyme as usual.

20160729_195823.jpg

Bill Calton

I haven't had a garden in years and years but I'm a little better fixed for equipment and am going to grow squash, okra, tomatoes, and maybe melons.  Just enough to say I'm gardening.

gaberdeen
On 3/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, Clueless1 said:

Who has a good lead on heirloom tomato seeds? 

Try Bakers creek seed company. I’ve had good luck with them or Seed savers exchange.

BBlizzard18

Starting some maters today, solid 8 weeks from transplant outside, likely closer to 10.  I like to start them a little early so I can pot them up, get them nice and big for Mother’s Day gifts, and for a fundraiser for our local school.  Onions are looking good under the grow lamp, they’re moving out to my small hoop houses soon.  These will be the onions that are sautéed with venison this fall.....hopefully.

C0AC1E3E-1313-48F9-956B-0FC27DC3004C.jpeg.6e2e93e951ff021c633a6d8914b69565.jpeg

Treerooster

Just spread my compost and rototilled/raked the annual garden. Got it done just in time for the storm hitting today. Has already rained about 1/2" and its turning to snow now. Supposed to be a blizzard later today and down into the teens for a low. Glad I got it tilled & raked as the moisture on it will just help.

Spreading the compost.

1230365403_Garden2020spreadingcompostResized.thumb.JPG.350e23ab80b3f539d04d80a7b3d2c371.JPG

Rototilled and partially raked.

555397274_Garden2020rototilledpratialrakedResized.thumb.JPG.fe7edbc35747370c0503c5024ea64a86.JPG

All set and ready for the storm to hit.

1250762966_Garden2020rototilledrakedResized.thumb.JPG.6aacb819a7f2fb4b55ab490d2b0bc73e.JPG

Mike da Carpenter

That looks so much more professional than my little side flower/garden bed.

Clueless1

Was thinking "Wow, flat!"  Much better looking than my garden. 

OldSarge

I still have 18” of snow on my garden ☹️