REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
C.J.L.

When is a great deal a true great deal?

C.J.L.

Found a great deal on a 2017 truck with 17K miles but it's in Scottsdale AZ. I'm almost, kinda sort, 99.9% sure I'll buy I have a hang up.  I don't mind flying down there (might catch a spring training game while in the area) and driving it back but the hang up for me is the tax and processing fees.  8.05% combined city and state tax they say has to be collected (but I won't pay tax when I register in MI so they say) and $635 in processing fees including a 90 day plate.  

I dislike fees and taxes and my nonconforming personality says whoa to things like this.  I can justify the cost of the vehicle and the trip to get it but the over and above costs...........hard to swallow.  They already dropped the price $500 to cover my flight down and it's what I want but 8.05% and the $635 is stuck in my head.  

WI Outdoor Nut

Have dealt with this before.  I am from WI and when looking to buy a boat from MN, they were not going to let me leave without paying the MN taxes, which were higher, then ask for it back later.  I did find a loophole, and that was to have it delivered.  That was going to cost less than delta in the taxes.  There are many transportation companies that will ship your vehicle.  I looked at having a 3/4 ton truck from St. Louis to WI for around $800 I believe.  I car would have been closer to $500. 

C.J.L.
14 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Have dealt with this before.  I am from WI and when looking to buy a boat from MN, they were not going to let me leave without paying the MN taxes, which were higher, then ask for it back later.  I did find a loophole, and that was to have it delivered.  That was going to cost less than delta in the taxes.  There are many transportation companies that will ship your vehicle.  I looked at having a 3/4 ton truck from St. Louis to WI for around $800 I believe.  I car would have been closer to $500. 

Good idea.  I've had vehicles shipped from WI, IA, OH and IN before and I always paid taxes when I registered.  The sales manager said the paying tax in the states it's b bought started 2 or 3 years ago so???

WI Outdoor Nut
3 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Good idea.  I've had vehicles shipped from WI, IA, OH and IN before and I always paid taxes when I registered.  The sales manager said the paying tax in the states it's b bought started 2 or 3 years ago so???

The person who I was going to have ship the boat, was just to the border fwiw.  I think if you are creative, you might be able to find away around this. 

mcgreg

Did this deal couple yrs ago when buying an out of state boat/trailer and then registering it in home state. First went (flew in on frequent flyer miles) to look at it, drive it, then negotiate the deal. Paid 25% upfront, and seller gave me the signed title. Returned home, transferred the title and paid my state sales tax and got the new plates. Drove back following week, paid the remainder to seller, and drove it home. 

On this deal, you have to trust the seller is total honest, and he has to trust you as well. Any negative waves be prepared to walk fast.

This deal worked out great but does require 2 trips to complete.