REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
bennelli-banger

spanish cedar for shutters??

bennelli-banger

need new shutters, was going to go with western red cedar, but have been made aware of spanish cedar...actually a hardwood, and can achieve lower moisture content (6%) than western red (15%)...about the same price...inclined to try the spanish cedar....thoughts/experience?  thanks.  oh, we're not doing vinyl...the other options are even more expensive than cedar...like pvc, or composite, or aluminum or whatever...

lee sykes

It's not really cedar.  As you say, it is a hardwood  and currently a popular replacement for mahogany, which is twice the price and getting scarce.

bennelli-banger
32 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

It's not really cedar.  As you say, it is a hardwood  and currently a popular replacement for mahogany, which is twice the price and getting scarce.

correct...the mills I have researched are good sources of info about the wood...just curious if anybody has used it, know people that have, etc...thanks

1971snipe

What type shutters?  Got drawings?  I'm planning to make working shutters for the front windows of our house before next hurricane season. 

bennelli-banger

louver shutters...no drawings...just 16" x 54" with a single rail in the middle, and then rails on top and bottom of shingle

French Brittany28

I'm in the lumber business and sell alot of Spanish cedar for shutters. Alot of western red cedar as well. Some use Sapele. Our western red cedar is dried. C& better grade. It may be more like 9 to 12 percent moisture.  Construction grades are usually 14 to 24 and I wound just build a fence out of that. 

Look at Sweetwaterlumber.com 

May help.

Larry

1971snipe
On 4/2/2020 at 10:59 AM, bennelli-banger said:

louver shutters...no drawings...just 16" x 54" with a single rail in the middle, and then rails on top and bottom of shingle

How r u coming along with this project?  If you have one made, I'm interested in seeing a pic or two.  I'm getting past the thinking-about-it stage, and to the drawing stage.  

I'd love to have Cypress but it's expensive.  I'm going to lather them in thick paint anyway.