REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
chilly460

Jeep rehab

Lurch

May have been under the beach & tide for a while! Don't take off all the rust - looks like that may be all that's holding some of it together!

Virgil Kane

Keep us informed on this rebuild.  I have thought many times about getting an old CJ and doing what you are doing to this one.  I find it very interesting.  Loved my old CJ, wish I still had it, that thing was a mt goat !

image.png.64ca11e15ec9ebd51b0f032fe71c2154.png

Virgil 

chilly460

Believe it or not, this isn't that bad compared to other YJs I see online, there's a reason they sell all sorts of frame patches for these things.  I'm guessing anything bought in the rust belt is completely eaten up, they sell a frame patch that pretty much covers the entire frame between the axles, that's scary.  

Chukarman

Chilly - that Jeep is a mess - the end point of too little maintenance. The frame is a disaster. I know guys who have galvanized their Jeep frames.

Maybe have it acid dipped just to get to the parts to fix them?

blanked

I am amazed some people enjoy doing that kind of work on there free time.  

chilly460

Got after the rusty frame a bit tonight, I’ve done some crossmember builds and rollcages but never anything like this.  Forgot to take a pic after I cleaned up the ugly edges from the plasma cutter, turned out pretty clean.  Still some trimming to get the patch to fit bit the nasty business of wire wheeling the frame and heavy cutting is done so all downhill from here7FB612BC-EC8B-48A4-AF48-71E40D23FD2D.jpeg

8059604D-8DB9-4BD4-9173-ED903CDA9B6A.jpeg

12734046-6F90-4D1C-985C-ABE50089198F.jpeg

CEA3B008-45D4-438C-9F18-9CDE5199C0A9.jpeg

EB7C465D-7AD9-4890-AF3C-367EF7A5E0EA.jpeg

chilly460

Guess it may help to show the frame patch958A0B9B-1F1C-49A2-958B-3B0D19DD76B3.thumb.jpeg.12d616272ec7b352e30020dd9bbfa489.jpeg

chilly460
9 hours ago, blanked said:

I am amazed some people enjoy doing that kind of work on there free time.  

Guess me and the rest of the car guys are just happy idiots

RookieEP

Your badass mechanic

chilly460
13 hours ago, Chukarman said:

Chilly - that Jeep is a mess - the end point of too little maintenance. The frame is a disaster. I know guys who have galvanized their Jeep frames.

Maybe have it acid dipped just to get to the parts to fix them?

I’d love to but it’s not in my friend’s budget, this is definitely a shoestring deal.  

Chukarman
1 hour ago, chilly460 said:

I’d love to but it’s not in my friend’s budget, this is definitely a shoestring deal.  

Carry on...

max2
On 4/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, chilly460 said:

I don't know where it lived in it's prior life but it's been in Virginia awhile.  My guess is it saw some time on a beach 

Or perhaps upstate NY 😁 The roads around here can kill cars in just a few years if you don't wash underneath .Nice work !!

Rockdoc

The RV I call home AKA The Behemoth is originally from upstate New York. Not rusted nearly as bad as that Jeep but bad enough to make all the Godzilla sized fasteners on the underside even harder to get apart! Over the last seven years I’ve accumulated a nice set of 3/4 drive tools.

Steve

Dave in Maine

A friend spent the summers between sophomore and junior year of high school, plus all his free time during those school years, rebuilding an old Willys.  Rust, rust and more rust.  And rebuilding the engine.

Ran around in it for like a week and then it threw a rod.

After college he went into being a financial planner and sticks to that, making a very nice living.

chilly460
1 hour ago, max2 said:

Or perhaps upstate NY 😁 The roads around here can kill cars in just a few years if you don't wash underneath .Nice work !!

My father is from the Buffalo area, I remember taking rotors off my grandfather's Crown Vic because rotors had rusted so bad they snagged the brake pads and tore them up.  Amazing stuff.  I've seen 7-8yr old cars with hoods rusted through where they'd gotten rock chips, must a be a royal pain trying to maintain a car up there.