REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
chilly460

Jeep rehab

Rockdoc
46 minutes ago, Dave in Maine said:

A friend spent the summers between sophomore and junior year of high school, plus all his free time during those school years, rebuilding an old Willys.  Rust, rust and more rust.  And rebuilding the engine.

Ran around in it for like a week and then it threw a rod.

I had a roommate in college who had a very strong competitive streak. When he saw me buying, driving, and ultimately selling old beater cars he figured he could do it too. He went out and bought a late 40’s 2WD Jeep Station Wagon. Had it towed home and proceeded to rebuild the 4 cylinder flathead engine so that at the end of the school year he could drive it 350 miles north to his home in Chicago. While the car was up on jack stands I gave the front steering a check, it was terrible! I told him that before he headed north he’d better rebuild the steering too. He totally ignored me, in fact acted put-out that I’d inject any of my advice into his project. School ended, he packed the car with all his stuff and made it maybe 10 miles before he realized that the car was undrivable. Instead of fixing the steering he abandoned it and bought another beater car (but drivable) and drove it up to Chicago.

Steve

chilly460

Working on old cars, and hunting grouse in Appalachia have a lot of parallels.....it's not done for the leisure and instant gratification that's for sure.  

max2
3 hours ago, chilly460 said:

My father is from the Buffalo area, I remember taking rotors off my grandfather's Crown Vic because rotors had rusted so bad they snagged the brake pads and tore them up.  Amazing stuff.  I've seen 7-8yr old cars with hoods rusted through where they'd gotten rock chips, must a be a royal pain trying to maintain a car up there. 

My truck is seven years old. I have seen trucks the same year and the beds are rusted beyond belief. Sections missing . I wash the truck really good Sunday afternoons. Religiously !  To expensive not to .

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 9:15 AM, chilly460 said:

I don't know where it lived in it's prior life but it's been in Virginia awhile.  My guess is it saw some time on a beach locally, the Outer Banks of NC is not far away and you're allowed to drive on the beach there, so that may be the culprit.  Frame repair section is on back order so I'll start on the smaller frame holes tonight.  

Reminds me of the time I was in Astoria, WA for work and rented a 2 door jeep with 4wd.  My work was done early and I asked the locals if I have some extra time, what should I do.  They asked if I had a vehicle with 4wd, which I did and they said head west until I hit the ocean, then drive south, all on the beach.  Was a hoot until I pushed the limits of driving in the pacific ocean and the waved turned me a bit.  Scared the crap out of me, but a trip I won't forget!

2011-4-27 jeep w ship wreck.jpg

2011-4-27 Pacific vs jeep.jpg

chilly460

Took a lot of trimming and messing around but the frame patch is rough fit, will fine tune tomorrow and get it welded up. 

7AF770F6-E37A-4F3D-90F1-AA64E1E48DEA.jpeg

44E73EF8-0B29-4532-854D-9EEDD581B1B5.jpeg

Sheldrake

My first car was a '62 Willys CJ5. It had an F-head 4 cyl. I bought a rebuilt  motor and replaced the old one. The motor did not come with timing gears. I bought new ones and not knowing that the teeth were marked to install them properly, I just stuck them on the cam and crank shafts. When the Big Day arrived and I turned the key for the first time, the motor backfired and flames shot out of the carb!.......live and learn.

Here is our current '84 CJ7.

DSCF0115.gif

Virgil Kane

That looks like my old 73 CJ-5 but with a longer wheel base.  Wish they still made them like that!

Hu, timing gears.  My friend was building up a 340 Duster. Had the block bored out and blueprinted, forged crankshaft, new cam roller rockers , etc.  I was there when he was putting in the timing gears and I told him the two marks on the gears (crank and cam gear) had to line up.  He insisted that they should both point opposite . All I can say is " I told you so".  When he tried to start the engine the same thing happened, backfire and flames shooting out the carb and those flames started some wiring on fire.  Bad news was he bent every titanium pushrod in that engine.  All special order at that time because of the lift on the cam and being titanium.

Live and learn.

Virgil

Sheldrake
1 hour ago, Virgil Kane said:

That looks like my old 73 CJ-5 but with a longer wheel base.  Wish they still made them like that!

Hu, timing gears.  My friend was building up a 340 Duster. Had the block bored out and blueprinted, forged crankshaft, new cam roller rockers , etc.  I was there when he was putting in the timing gears and I told him the two marks on the gears (crank and cam gear) had to line up.  He insisted that they should both point opposite . All I can say is " I told you so".  When he tried to start the engine the same thing happened, backfire and flames shooting out the carb and those flames started some wiring on fire.  Bad news was he bent every titanium pushrod in that engine.  All special order at that time because of the lift on the cam and being titanium.

Live and learn.

Virgil

Funny, but not so funny Virgil!

Here's another one about my teenage mechanical screw-ups...........The aforementioned new engine had exhaust valves in the block and intake in the head. After the first 500 miles, I was advised to adjust the exhaust valves. There was a valve cover on the side of the engine block. I was very proud of my mechanical ability after removing the cover, doing the Top-Dead-Center thing, and adjusting the valves. There were two bolts that threaded into the block that held the valve cover in place. In my musclehead, teenage exuberance, when tightening the bolts to put everything back together, I broke one of the them.  Decided to try and use an easy out to remove the broken bolt that was now barely protruding from the block. Of course, I had to first drill a pilot hole in the bolt. I'm guessing you know what happened next......as I was drilling, suddenly the drilling got very easy. I pulled the drill out of the hole, and antifreeze came squirting out under pressure!! I sat on the front bumper and cried.

A friend of mine who was a Coast guard helicopter mechanic bailed me out. We enlarged the hole, tapped it as best we could, threaded a piece of threaded rod gooped up with JB Weld (or the 1970 equivalent) and put it all back together. It was still running and not leaking a couple of years later when I sold it.

Yes, "Live and "earn"!

chilly460

Did some more trimming and finally starting burning in the frame patch today, pain in the butt getting situated under the truck so I could weld.  So far so good though.  

chilly460

Sounds like you guys need better shop help, Blanton charges $30/hr 

EDEBCB34-56FB-4180-8376-C3F262A47EB8.jpeg

chilly460

The progression

6D15E1B9-31AE-499C-9FC8-E28EC5312AFA.jpeg

7DD73764-EC6A-4B1C-B3B0-0B957017EB14.jpeg

6243C86A-52D5-46E1-8BF2-56C9BF924E2D.jpeg

EEC3BF62-3065-4384-A168-A6EA3EDAF6B0.jpeg

7DA9E4F6-9EBC-41E8-B00F-B2FD5ADEB250.jpeg

blanked

I hope it runs good after all your hard work

chilly460

They always start out as little holes....   

Poked at the next hole in the frame for about a minute,  that was about the size of a nickel.  Things quickly escalated, I’ll have to drop the leaf spring and rocker guard to fix it.  And there’s   a new hole I found in the floorboard

FB36EEE6-724C-4407-822F-A2721CBBB553.jpeg

90977F45-6BAF-4173-9080-D83211A49499.jpeg

Lurch

I think that's for the Flintstone Brake assembly 😉

Marc Ret
On April 25, 2020 at 4:39 PM, chilly460 said:

Sounds like you guys need better shop help, Blanton charges $30/hr 

EDEBCB34-56FB-4180-8376-C3F262A47EB8.jpeg

I'd pay the $30/hr just to hang out with that handsome fellow and his little sidekick peeking in from the bottom right. Awfully lonely around here without a pup. 

Quite a project, Chilly. Enjoying watching the progress.