Treerooster

The 2020 UJ Travel Call Hunt

Bluegill68

Well done Hobbes!

Treerooster

Nicely done. You need a little confidence in that call. It'll call em in. Still we can put a Merriam's on that call. So if Brad gets an Eastern there will be 3 subspecies on it.

When a gobbler shuts up Iv'e always said... he's either coming...leaving...or just staying put. I've never been wrong. 😁

I've killed a few Merriam's with no spurs or just a very tiny nub for a spur, way smaller than a jake nub. Those were in the Ponderosa Pine habitat of Nebraska. Killed some with 3/4 or 7/8 spurs, a full tail fan and a 4 inch beard too.

hobbes

I'm definitely a mouth call turkey hunter.  Trying to operate a box call, a camera, and keep a shotgun reasonably pointed towards a gobbler is more things than I can do at once.  :)

hobbes

I'll hunt with the call for two more days then send it out to Brad on Monday.

hobbes

Another bird for Isaac (my oldest) with a little help from the travel call.  I've got another video that I'll post also.

IMG_20200508_100230723_HDR.jpg

hobbes

IMG_20200508_101529367_HDR.jpg

hobbes

IMG_20200508_100950984_HDR.jpg

hobbes

Isaac and I hunted yesterday.  We both had tags good for the area, but he was up first.  He's not had a lot of opportunities to hunt the last few years, so hasn't killed a tom since 2015 when he killed one in MT and KS.  He's killed 3 jakes since then on short window hunts.

We found this bird strutting in a huge field with 7 or 8 hens.  We kept tabs on him through the morning with binos.  We called to him some from a long way, but couldn't hear him if he was gobbling.  He finally started losing hens around 9 AM. We moved to within 300 to 400 yards (as close as we could get) and started calling to him around 9:30.  He was gobbling immediately.  He stood his ground for a while but finally followed a lone hen to us with a jake in tow.

My typical video, you can hear gobbling but only see a glimpse of the birds before he shoots.    I could see the birds but didn't have the tripod high enough.  I need to set it near my eye level, so it sees what I do.  I know the block is annoying but there's something in the background that is too recognizable. 8-) 

You won't hear the box call in the video.  I used the travel call while the bird was out there a long way (something a box call is great for) but went back to the mouth call when he started closing.

https://youtu.be/GYTtHNCrwVI

hobbes

The travel call is finally on its way to Brad.  

IMG_20200513_143828391_HDR.jpg

Treerooster

The call is looking good. 

Hope you have some great hunts with it Brad.

Millriver

Those Merriams are beautiful birds. Definitely on my bucket list. Congratulations on the hunts, looking forward to seeing Brad’s posts.

Brad Eden

DCE31E7D-351B-42FC-8D94-A6BC0F09DC19.jpeg
Even this half strut Jake deke couldn’t piss off a gobbler enough to commit.

Unfortunately I didn’t get the Traveling Call until after I had tagged out with my two gobblers the first two weeks, then lost a week due to a tick bite malaise and Doxy regimen. Birds are shut mouthed and pretty much totally uncooperative right now in mid Maine. I’ve been at it with the call off and on for the last week with my friend Scott, and also this morning with JoAnn. Tomorrow is the last day and we are expecting rain and thunderstorms most of the day. This season might be toast.

C13B4B1D-BF3F-461C-8CC1-ABCDECE39789.jpeg
Ms JoAnn ready willing and able...

Headed out this morning with JoAnn and we spotted a strutting Tom on the edge of a Powerline. Obviously serenading hens. We were able to sneak a good 1/4 mile through the woods...carried along by mosquitos...and set up undetected on a green field about 100 yards from where we saw the Tom. I set out one hen deke, and first did crow calls that elicited a gobble, pretty much where we had seen him. Despite yelps and cuts and silence he drifted further and further away, only gobbling sporadically and not cutting me off or anything. Then went quiet. We gave it time and eventually packed it up and didnt see or strike another bird.

Was hoping to add an Eastern to the call, still might happen. But Scott is done hunting and I’m not sure if I’ll get Jo out again,  We will see.

hobbes

Maybe you should hang onto the call and add an Eastern to it next year.