Treerooster

The 2020 UJ Travel Call Hunt

Treerooster

I managed to get out for some turkey hunting on the Colorado opener April 12th. Caught some hunter interference on Saturday opening morning. A blizzard hit on Sunday and I wimped out getting out at dawn and waited for the storm to pass. It remained windy all day. Didn't find much Monday morning and I think the birds moved/flocked up a bit due to winter's return. So I moved to another area for an evening hunt. I didn't see much sign, but set up and "blind" called anyways. I called every now & then with the TC box call mostly and a little on my mouth diaphragm to mix things up a bit. After about an hour a lone hen showed up. She was looking for me and I thought to myself "Where is your boyfriend?". He showed up a couple of minutes later, in full strut. The hen was coming towards me looking for the hen she heard and getting a bit close for comfort. The tom was busy showing off but he was right at 40 yards. I had the gun on him and called on my mouth call to get him to break strut. Shot him about 1 1/2 before sunset.

1708217614_UJTravelCall20203Resized.thumb.jpg.5155c8b3482602bffa1501de6c7391b3.jpg

1116359313_UJTravelCall20205Resized.thumb.jpg.a18584e5b4905810897ec0c4abad825c.jpg

665177236_UJTravelCall20202Resized.thumb.jpg.5170471ef2a702c0cf4a2abbfa07d981.jpg

I really liked the call. It has a nice sound to it and I could get a nice range of pitch by moving up or down the rail slightly. I am sure the hen came into this call, just didn't use my mouth call that much. 

1516768533_UJTravelCall20204Resized.thumb.jpg.fa3e6a5c535f5c1cc1d8f90418c5f16d.jpg

Thanks hobbes for hosting and providing such a good quality call. It will be on the way to you (bummer fishnfowler can't use it) tomorrow. Don't want to mail it today as we got another snowstorm going on.

hobbes

That's fantastic Treerooster.  Great looking bird too.  It's rare for me to kill a bird with spurs that nice here in MT.  I'll be hunting with my two sons this weekend Friday through Monday. I'll take the call out next week after it arrives.  

Bluegill68

Nice hooks on that rascal!!

vabirddog
5 hours ago, Bluegill68 said:

Nice hooks on that rascal!!

Indeed!

Treerooster

Some comments on the spurs. They were 1 1/8" & 1 1/16". Not real long but I do believe he was a 3 year old or better as there was no reddish tint on the end of the beard. He was a small bird tho. Talking overall, small body wise. But they did hook nicely.  

I've learned some interesting things about spurs over the years and due to a study in an area I hunt that had known ages of birds from banding. They are not very dependable to judge age.

Fishnfowler

Nice bird.  Indeed, it is a bummer I can't use the call.  I've been entertaining myself by calling in birds for fun.  This is an unusual year for me in that I've got a dozen toms roosting on my property.  They are really tempting me to violate the game laws. 

Brad Eden

Nice start on the Travel Call.

hobbes

The call showed back up at my house today.  I've not opened the box yet.  I just got back from 3 days hunting with my son's.  I'll take the call out later this week and work on calling a bird in with it.  It will head to Brad afterwards.

hobbes

I've had the call out on one day hunt and two evening hunts and didn't get on the first gobbling bird.  I'm hunting this Friday and Saturday with my son and then Sunday evening through Wednesday morning with a friend.  I'll send the call off to Brad afterwards.

A couple photos from the areas that I hunted:

IMG_20200425_175145353_HDR.jpg

hobbes

IMG_20200426_063027149_HDR.jpg

hobbes

IMG_20200426_145343167_BURST000_COVER.jpg

hobbes

IMG_20200428_183210322_HDR.jpg

Brad Eden

No hurry. Get after them.

Treerooster

Hope you have good luck. Get after em. 

hobbes

I used the call a little over the last couple days.  I failed to take a photo with the call, but I've still got another day or two to hunt with it.  I did however get a 10 minute video of me calling a bird in for a friend.  We heard the bird on Tuesday evening and moved 300 yards toward it while it moved away.  It turns around for us then crosses a fairly deep wash on it's way to us.  He goes silent for a little while around the 5:30 mark.  I'm pretty sure he was crossing the wash at that point.  I don't get the bird on video until he's dead.  He's a 2 year old Merriam's that doesn't have much for a beard and no indication that he would have ever had spurs.  I've killed several with no spurs in Montana.  His legs are also a grey color with no pink at all.

The first call that can be heard on the video is the travel call.  I use nothing but a mouth call after that.

turkey 2.jpg