Tracking collar watch

birdhuntervet

I thought that I had seen some outfit selling a watch that displayed garmin collar equipped dog coordinates, point etc. I was just looking at garmin and lion country and didn’t see this being offered. I guess I was imagining this?

Many of the Garmin watch do that if they are linked to a Astro or Alpha I have my Astro linked to my Fenix and it works great with 2 dogs

I think I saw that the Instinct was on sale. Not sure what you meant by dog coordinates.

Watch does not show coordinates but has an arrow and distance to your dog, vibrates for point alarm.

I have an Instinct with two dogs. Once you have it synced to your hand held Garmin, it links up right away in the field.

It really is a game changer . I hated pulling the Alpha out every time the alarm sounded and looking down following the arrow . Then putting the Alpha away when coming up to the dog . 

Now just tilt your arm and see the watch , follow and get ready to shoot . 

Pudgy gopher

The Garmin Fenix series are fully functional GPS and can show coordinates. They do show the basic direction and distance of the dog but not the coordinates of the dog

Virgil Kane

Being a complete idiot when it comes to electronic/computers/GPS.  I have a Garmin Alpha 100 TT that I love but it is a pain to keep pulling it out and have been thinking about either getting a Garmin Vivoactive 3 or the Instinct (can't see spending the $$$ on the Felix).

Question is, how hard is it to link up with the Garmin Alpha and is there a monthly charge for doing this or is it free for the use?

I admit freely I'm stupid when it comes to this and need all the guidance I can get.

Virgil 

2 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Being a complete idiot when it comes to electronic/computers/GPS.  I have a Garmin Alpha 100 TT that I love but it is a pain to keep pulling it out and have been thinking about either getting a Garmin Vivoactive 3 or the Instinct (can't see spending the $$$ on the Felix).

Question is, how hard is it to link up with the Garmin Alpha and is there a monthly charge for doing this or is it free for the use?

I admit freely I'm stupid when it comes to this and need all the guidance I can get.

Virgil 

no fees at all (other than the purchase price). And once you do it the first setup, from then on it will just link up as soon are you turn it on.

I know they work with the Instinct and Fenix 5 and 3 (that's what I have), not sure about the vivoactive.

Do a search on Criagslist or ebay - with at the new fitness watches out there, Fenix3s come up for sale often at pretty decent discounts. The "Saphire" versions are usually a little more $ but the face is more scratch resistant (though mine is not, and I haven't had any issues yet).

2 hours ago, readgriff said:

Does the Garmin Fenix 5 series vibrate when dog is on point when linked with a Astro.

Thanks 

Yes, 3 and 5 both will.

I really wish some smart kid would write an app for it for the Apple Watch

46 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Virgil 

there are Garmin sponsored U tube instructions on how to link a watch to the controller. 
Even I could do it.

Virgil Kane
Just now, grouse28 said:

there are Garmin sponsored U tube instructions on how to link a watch to the controller. 
Even I could do it.

Yeah, but your probably I know your smarter than I am. :/

51 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Yeah, but your probably I know your smarter than I am. :/

That is not true. Just ask my kids.🙂

RalphBeagle

I have my Garmin GPS linked to my Fenix watch.  I haven't used it since December and last year was my first with, it but my recollection is that it vibrates when the Garmin vibrates.  As others have said, it's a real convenience.  A LOT easier to just flip your wrist and look at your watch than to pull out the GPS unit.  I did find it it's a good idea to calibrate the watch compass any time you move very far (like from Minneapolis to the Upper Peninsula).

• 1 month later...