REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
topdog1961

DIY obedience training advice.

topdog1961

I got the below text from a dog fence customer. I’m great at training dogs on fences, so my customers often turn to me for other dog related advice. This man is looking for DIY training books/videos for a very large guard dog breed. Very nice family, all intelligent, mom is a doctor. I trust they will follow through. They have experience owning large breed guard dogs, and live in a restored 19th century mansion, but in a not so nice now location, so they need them. What is your advice for training materials? 

“I hope you and your family are doing well. Do you recommend any dog training videos, books, or even e-collar training that you might be able to recommend to us? Our Cane Corso is getting a lot bigger and stronger and it takes me a while to get him to calm down on a leash. Almost 4 blocks and I’m the only one who easily manipulated him which is not good for the long run.  I also want to make sure he’s not jumping up on people which seems to happen every now and again. I’d love to take them to a class because he gets along swimmingly well with other dogs but given the current situation there are no classes.”

99934459-D732-4330-8DEC-A01F3FE9EEDE.jpeg

topdog1961

Bringing this back to the top. I can’t believe no one here has a book or video to recommend for basic obedience training. 

Mike da Carpenter

Could be most people are reluctant to give advice on how to do anything with that breed (Cane Corso).  Great dog with only one job to do, and they do it quite well.  If you attempt to train this breed, you had better have its loyalty and trust before moving forward.

topdog1961
39 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Could be most people are reluctant to give advice on how to do anything with that breed (Cane Corso).  Great dog with only one job to do, and they do it quite well.  If you attempt to train this breed, you had better have its loyalty and trust before moving forward.

I’m not training him, already have on the efence as a puppy, he’s doing fine there, my training job is done. This dog, like their Dobb and Rott, do exactly what their job is. They bark and look intimidating, then settle right down and are friendly once they see the family accepts you, overly friendly in this dogs case. The owner is only asking me for recommendations for basic obedience training books and videos because they can’t take him to a class like their previous dogs due to COVID. I thought I would extend that question to the greater knowledge of the UJ community. Neither they, nor I, are asking for specific training advice for this dog or breed. Just basic training material (books, videos) recommendations. 

This family has been customers for 15 years and multiple dogs. They do an exceptional job socializing their dogs, which are mostly house pets, but also have a job to do in making people think twice about burglarizing their home. You are right, they do that well. I give this family a lot of credit for taking a grand old mansion and restoring it to its former glory. But it’s in a part of town that many others have given up on. They are fine people. 

Mike da Carpenter

To that, my only reply is that Google and YouTube will become valuable resources for training their dogs while waiting out the pandemic.

Irishwhistler

"They do an exceptional job socializing their dogs, which are mostly house pets, but also have a job to do in making people think twice about burglarizing their home".  So will a home defense scattergun loaded with #00. 👍👌

Mikey ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Spin1

Anything by Cesar Milan. "The dog whisperer"

garyRI

My daughter, who is also a MD, and her husband are looking to acquire a working line bred German Shepard for much the same reasons as your client. They are looking for a fully trained or at least started dog(and they live in Texas so there are already firearms available for home defense). In any event they plan to use a local professional trainer after they acquire the animal. My advice to the client would be to use a local trainer for dogs with any breed that is specified by insurance companies for special risk.

topdog1961

This family’s situation reminds me of a story about another customer with a dog I contain. She is a Judge and has a large home sitting back about 250 yards off the road in the country a few miles out of town. She has a black 220 pound Newfoundland with so much hair that he looks twice that weight, and of course he moves very ponderously.  There was a string of burglaries in the area, and a not so bright man was caught. He confessed. When he came before her bench she asked him why he hadn’t burglarized the big brick house with the white columns way back off the road. He replied “Because they have a bear in their yard, I’m not kidding, a real bear!”

garyRI
1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

This family’s situation reminds me of a story about another customer with a dog I contain. She is a Judge and has a large home sitting back about 250 yards off the road in the country a few miles out of town. She has a black 220 pound Newfoundland with so much hair that he looks twice that weight, and of course he moves very ponderously.  There was a string of burglaries in the area, and a not so bright man was caught. He confessed. When he came before her bench she asked him why he hadn’t burglarized the big brick house with the white columns way back off the road. He replied “Because they have a bear in their yard, I’m not kidding, a real bear!”

There is a famous horrible Connecticut home invasion story about the eventual perpetrators, who got caught, saying that they passed on another home because they heard a dog inside. My 35 pound Boykin has a big dog bark. And as a bonus if she wakes up one morning and decides to attack me I think I can deal with it pretty easy. If I had a Cane Corso it would be another matter.

DonT
On 4/23/2020 at 6:36 AM, topdog1961 said:

I can’t believe no one here has a book or video to recommend for basic obedience training. 

https://leerburg.com/

For Protection dogs this is what you are looking for.  Ed Frawley started old school and then shifted, or at least recognized the newer methods, so be careful of what he says and the time period in which it come from.   Micheal Ellis showed Ed a new way to train Protection dogs to a high level.  

I have followed Michael Ellis since his start, his training methods mirrored mine own, this is the direction I would recommend. 

If you need any help or direction PM me, I would be glad to help. 

Jake

I am a retired CKC judge. Groups 1 and 2 are my special interests. However, once upon a time I was asked by a fledgling rare breed club if I would judged their fun match. Wanting to do the best I could I researched the breeds I was going to encounter. Well in the outline for the Cano Corso it was mentioned that the judge is Not to attempt to put his/her hands on the specimen during evaluation. When I got home my wife asked how it went. Well I replied " I still have both hands and all my fingers."