Acura TLX a-spec AWD or Infinity Q60 Red Type

I don’t buy new cars so if I bought either of these it would be a couple years old with low miles.  My current Subaru was in a hail storm and has dings all over it.  I was planning on trading it in this summer.  Does anyone have any experience with these two cars.  For me low maintenance and reliability are key as I tend to keep my cars to  at least 150K miles.....thanks

brushbuster

I have a 2013 TL which is the older version of the TLX.  Mine has been 100% trouble free with 100k on it and I plan to keep it for another 100k.  

Easily the most reliable car I have owned.  I have friends that have the TLX and it has a non Honda (ZF) transmission that some people have had issues with and the 2021 TLX will be redesigned with a new Honda transmission similar to what they have in the new RDX.  I think however as this is the last year for that model of TLX they probably have the bugs worked out.

I was actually looking into a 2020 RDX with AWD and Tech package, I like the idea of having a smaller SUV and the TL will probably become the kids car.

Have bought four Acura's in the past 22 years.  They are trouble free rides.  I like to think Acura is in between a Honda and an Audi for both price and maintenance costs.  My current ride is a 2012 MDX that runs and drives very well.  OTOH, that Q60 Red Type is also very interesting.  Have bought two Infiniti's, a g35 followed by our current g37.  While Acura's seem like Audi's, Infiniti's strike me more like BMW's.  They have both been trouble free as well.  I don't believe you can go wrong with either.  You should be able to hit the 150K mark pretty easily.  Have had both the TLX and Q50 as loaner cars in the past and while they were not the A-spec or Red Type upper end performance vehicles, they were very nice.    

WI Outdoor Nut

From a reliability standpoint, I would choose the acura over the infinity all day long.  I have had issues that in my opinion, were engineering flaws with Nissan made vehicles. 

RookieEP

Im a Honda guy. Acura all the way

River19

Honda/Acura - I have always liked the the Acura vehicles......there is no comparison between the two companies really.  Nissan makes perfectly forgettable vehicles that while they don't do anything "wrong" per se, they don't do enough "well" to stand out.  The GTR is really their one standout star.

canvasback

I've had three Hondas (actually two Hondas and an Acura) all bought new and five Nissans, one was new, the others were very low mileage vehicles when I bought them.  I have enjoyed driving the Nissans more but the Hondas were more trouble-free.

WI Outdoor Nut
20 minutes ago, canvasback said:

I've had three Hondas (actually two Hondas and an Acura) all bought new and five Nissans, one was new, the others were very low mileage vehicles when I bought them.  I have enjoyed driving the Nissans more but the Hondas were more trouble-free.

That is really a great way to put it.  I owned a Nissan Murano.  Lots of fun to drive.  Quick, agile and somewhat sexy.  But troubles.  Have owned two honda pilots.  Ok to drive, somewhat boxy, but super reliable.  No issue to say on my current one at 157K miles. 

River19
34 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

That is really a great way to put it.  I owned a Nissan Murano.  Lots of fun to drive.  Quick, agile and somewhat sexy.  But troubles.  Have owned two honda pilots.  Ok to drive, somewhat boxy, but super reliable.  No issue to say on my current one at 157K miles. 

Nissan builds a heck of a V6.....always have.  My father had every version of the Maxima for a couple decades.....the old 4DSC lol  But today, EVERYONE builds an amazing V6.....

WI Outdoor Nut
1 hour ago, River19 said:

Nissan builds a heck of a V6.....always have.  My father had every version of the Maxima for a couple decades.....the old 4DSC lol  But today, EVERYONE builds an amazing V6.....

Don't disagree.  If I recall, the old maxima had just under 300 horse and was able to get 28 mpg.  Was well ahead of its time. 

This is such an apples to oranges comparison to me

You have a  ~$40k Sedan with 290hp vs a ~$60k Coupe with 400hp

A TLX a-spec vs a Q50 non-Red would be a much more apple to apples I think.

River19
1 hour ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Don't disagree.  If I recall, the old maxima had just under 300 horse and was able to get 28 mpg.  Was well ahead of its time. 

Exactly......I recall the mid 90s version having 190hp and getting mid 20s with a 5sp stick.....my parents last version was 2003 with like 255hp with a 6sp stick and that car moved fairly aggressively even by today's standards.

Actually at the used standpoint they are both in the same price point.  I agree they are two different types of cars.  Though, they are what catch my eye.....

topdog1961
On 4/24/2020 at 10:07 AM, canvasback said:

If you enjoy driving, next time try a Mazda. Zoom Zoom.