REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MUSTANGER7

FISH STORY

MUSTANGER7

A story I saw on UJ about three bass at a time got me to thinking about anything special I have experienced, and short of a bass and one red coming out of the water to grab a spoon handing over a limb all my times are pretty normal. Then I thought of a good friend of mine Fred he's 85 now and is just something else when it comes to the outdoors. I had great difficulty throwing a four foot cast net he can still throw on a 22 footer and make it open like a plate, he shoots five stand, clays and rarely misses shows no emotion just breaks them. Fred fishes and hunts for meat, he was raised that way, at his age he is what he is.

All and all he's a great guy, about five years ago he was telling me about a fishing trip on the Rainbow River, near Dunnellon, Fl he and a friend (glad I was not with him) were floating the river for bream etc. The river is gin clear and you can see the fish and they you. Fred's method is to knock down HORNETS nests and use the larvae for bait, often they fall in the boat, he says its the best bait there is for these kind of fish. Pretty sure that's way to much excitement for me, he doesn't seem to mind the stings, tells me in a few minutes the hornets are gone. He does this all the time, keeps asking me to come with him, no way. Any body heard of this approach, makes me hurt even thinking about it.

Jakeismydog2

That's a fishing invite I would turn down!

Recoil Rob

A buddy who was born in Ireland told me his father would hang  a sheep's head in a tree over a pool on a fishing beat. He'd come back with his rod at a later date when the fish had learned to congregate where maggots were dropping off into the water. Apparently highly effective and highly illegal.

No thanks hornets though.

Irishwhistler

A boatload of hornets?  NO THANKS!  

Mikey ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Rick Hall

Have, in fact, heard of old timers using wasp larva, but never hornet.

topdog1961

Bee moth larvae are about $3 for 50 at the local gas station. No thanks on an invite like that. I had 3 yellow jackets put me in the hospital, very nearly killed me once. 

WPG Gizmo

That would send me to the hospital right after I used both epipens

Big Al

Fred's cagey.  Satisfies an invite to a good friend but knows he doesn't have to put another guy in the boat.

dogrunner

Sounds exciting, you should go. 

Auto-5

I’ve used wasp before but Hornets collected as described no thanks. Much easier to buy meal worms and they work just as well. Dad and I use to collect grubs/worms from horse weeds and they were terrific for brem. Find dying hose weeds cut them off with your pocket knife and split the stem length wise to harvest the worm eating the core.

Remo

That should filmed live from a second boat.

DD Huntress

Not a hornet story but a pretty cool fish story.

Diver's old springer loved to hunt frogs in the off season. There was a well worn path on the lawn by the pond. The frogs always jumped into the pond to evade Goodboy. One day my son noticed that a largemouth was following Goodboy close to the shore. Whenever Goodboy scared a frog, it would jump into the gaping maw of a large mouth bass.  Whenever Goodboy was out the bass would be there following along waiting to be fed.

Nothing like a smart b-ass!

Curt
11 hours ago, MUSTANGER7 said:

A story I saw on UJ about three bass at a time got me to thinking about anything special I have experienced, and short of a bass and one red coming out of the water to grab a spoon handing over a limb all my times are pretty normal. Then I thought of a good friend of mine Fred he's 85 now and is just something else when it comes to the outdoors. I had great difficulty throwing a four foot cast net he can still throw on a 22 footer and make it open like a plate, he shoots five stand, clays and rarely misses shows no emotion just breaks them. Fred fishes and hunts for meat, he was raised that way, at his age he is what he is.

All and all he's a great guy, about five years ago he was telling me about a fishing trip on the Rainbow River, near Dunnellon, Fl he and a friend (glad I was not with him) were floating the river for bream etc. The river is gin clear and you can see the fish and they you. Fred's method is to knock down HORNETS nests and use the larvae for bait, often they fall in the boat, he says its the best bait there is for these kind of fish. Pretty sure that's way to much excitement for me, he doesn't seem to mind the stings, tells me in a few minutes the hornets are gone. He does this all the time, keeps asking me to come with him, no way. Any body heard of this approach, makes me hurt even thinking about it.

Fred sounds like one tough dude.  I've fished for bass in the Rainbow river lots of times and he's right about being able to clearly see them in that gin clear water.  There are some whoppers in there but they are tough to catch because of that water clarity.  As far as knocking down hornets nests for bait, I'd say you're smart to stay clear of that stuff.  I've never seen that approach, never heard of it before either.

Big Al

When my kids were teens they used to go tubing on the Rainbow River.

MUSTANGER7
1 hour ago, DD Huntress said:

Not a hornet story but a pretty cool fish story.

Diver's old springer loved to hunt frogs in the off season. There was a well worn path on the lawn by the pond. The frogs always jumped into the pond to evade Goodboy. One day my son noticed that a largemouth was following Goodboy close to the shore. Whenever Goodboy scared a frog, it would jump into the gaping maw of a large mouth bass.  Whenever Goodboy was out the bass would be there following along waiting to be fed.

Nothing like  smart b-ass!

Reminds me of my pet fox (Slyfox, I've put pictures of him here on UJ) my wife bought a dozen or so gold fish to restock our ornamental fish pond in the back yard, she opened the clear plastic bag and put them on a ledge along the edge of the pond so the goldfish could gradually get used to the new water temperature. She came in the house and went out about 15 min later to release them, Sly who lived in the back yard had eaten all of them and was sitting there waiting for more.

sly4.jpg