REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MUSTANGER7

FISH STORY

DD Huntress
5 minutes ago, MUSTANGER7 said:

sly4.jpg

Pretty foxy. 

A lady who used to work for me had a pet fox. It was a real hit when she brought it to work. 

When I was 8 yrs old my friends and I "found" some fox kits. We picked them up and played with them. Stupid Cam went home and told his stupid little brother who then squealed and told his mom. Cam was promptly taken to the doctor and rabies shots were administered,  just incase.  His mom was a real treat. She was convinced that foxes were carriers of rabies. Anna and I didn't tell our parents, we were terrified of getting rabies shots in our stomachs. Every night for about a month I was scared to fall asleep, visions of Old Yeller filled my head. Every morning I raced over to Anna's to see if she was alive. Lol scary times in the life of an 8yr old.

20190519_164228.jpg

SelbyLowndes

As far as I'm concerned the wasp family can keep their babies.  We have a commercially available maggot bait around here called a "sand maggot".  It will outfish a cricket two to one and hold up through four or five fish.  Come to think of it, I do not know what the sand maggots grow up to be.  I think I'll ask next time the bream go on the bed...SelbyLowndes

GLS

One of the favorite redbreast baits of old timers around here were subterranean yellow jacket nests.  Around dusk, they'd fly back to the nest and the fishermen would note the direction and follow.  They'd comeback at night and fill the hole with smoke and dig up the nest and use the larvae for bait.  A portion of the nest would be sunk in the river chumming the hole for all that swims and eats.  Gil

strato-caster

You sissies have overwhelmingly convinced me that I now have a legitimate way to not share my fishing technique and subsequent hot spots with my friends who have always shared theirs with me. I've been trying to figure out how to do this for years... Thanks for putting to bed an ongoing, lifelong problem. I really appreciate your help !😁  

MUSTANGER7
10 hours ago, strato-caster said:

You sissies have overwhelmingly convinced me that I now have a legitimate way to not share my fishing technique and subsequent hot spots with my friends who have always shared theirs with me. I've been trying to figure out how to do this for years... Thanks for putting to bed an ongoing, lifelong problem. I really appreciate your help !😁  

your welcome, glad to be of help

gwponr

We were in New Mexico when I was maybe 13-14 yo it was winter, driving along my dad spots a hornets nest. He thinks it would be a great piece of art to hang on the wall, he grabs it and shakes it around. nNothing stirs inside so he thinks its empty and throws it in the floor of the pick up. After 45 minutes or so of the heater blowing on the nest it started coming to life. As hornets started crawling out we all jumped out of the truck. Pops grabs the nest and throws it in an ice chest. 40+ years later when he died yea the hornets nest was still in the ice chest in the garage, or what was left of it

MUSTANGER7

Remembered another bee story, when I was a kid my dad and I would go down along the Hudson River by Cornwall, NY (where we lived at the time) to pick berries they grew really thick along the railroad tracks, they were a sort of orange berry, just loved them. Anyways my dad is up in the thick stuff trying to cross an old stone wall fence with a couple of strands of barbed wire, he got into a yellow jacket nest and he got hung on the barbed wire, not a very happy dad, he still keep on picking afterwards. Have some really great memories of times with him.

GLS

A half century ago (that would be 50 years ago), Glenn, Earl and I were trout fishing the West Fork of the Chattooga, when Glen bumped a head high "bag" nest of hornets.  I can still see him this day, legs spinning like Fred Flintstone, but without the "yabbaddabadoo" shout, but with more like a scream of pure terror and pain as his legs churned across the top of the river, or so it seemed, as he ran for his life while getting the bejeebers stung out of him.  Earl and I shared a laugh, but not in front of Glenn.  Gil

mccuha
2 hours ago, GLS said:

A half century ago (that would be 50 years ago), Glenn, Earl and I were trout fishing the West Fork of the Chattooga, when Glen bumped a head high "bag" nest of hornets.  I can still see him this day, legs spinning like Fred Flintstone, but without the "yabbaddabadoo" shout, but with more like a scream of pure terror and pain as his legs churned across the top of the river, or so it seemed, as he ran for his life while getting the bejeebers stung out of him.  Earl and I shared a laugh, but not in front of Glenn.  Gil

I’ve fished that stretch as well a lot in my life time.  

Wildcat

Someone with more knowledge regarding hymenoptera answer this for me please? There were 5 of us (very young) chucking rocks at a hornets' nest in a tree and my friend finally landed one right inside the tree. The hornets came flooding out and picked him out of the group (we stood there and watched and laughed of course) and chased and stung him as he ran down the road. Do hornets and bees have a sense of smell that they were able to track his scent on the rock?