REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
gunsrus

UJ , Good People

gunsrus

On another thread I was inquiring about Griswold skillets . I know nothing and hardly cook but being quarantined like others , I'm learning . 

I got a pm from Stephen (Rogue Hunter) who happened to have an extra Griswold #6 and he would send it to me . I asked to pay and even pay shipping and he refused . It arrived yesterday and I am thrilled . I'm sure it will be the beginning of my trek into the cast iron world . 

Stephen epitomizes the UJ world that I know . I hope I can be the friend he deserves . Thank you again Stephen .

Fire Marshal Bill

Oh No, Al in the kitchen!!! I can't picture that at all. UJ people are definitely the best!!

Mike da Carpenter

I’ve met nothing but fine people on this board.

mccuha

I’ll third that.   It’s really a breathe of fresh air.  I’m not much of a FB person and don’t really go to other sites. This is different , more like a brotherhood 

terrym

I don’t do Facebook. But I’m on here quite a bit. Brad runs a great site. 

NC Quailhunter

I have only met two other members. One at a hunt test in Va. for a short period of time. 

The other has come to a couple of our QF banquets. I can say that these two gentlemen are top notch.

Spin1
30 minutes ago, terrym said:

I don’t do Facebook. But I’m on here quite a bit. Brad runs a great site. 

Yep

mccuha

So far I’ve only met a couple in person but fly champ is the only one I’ve hunted with. 

strato-caster

I've never met Rogue Hunter, but I can certainly attest that he is one helluva guy if he indeed gifted you a Griswold skillet. Griswold is recognized by most cast iron cranks as being the most desirable, and prices generally reflect it. It is what most people aspire to own if high quality cast iron is within your budget.

I have several pieces, including a chicken fryer, a corn stick and an ebelskiver pan. The fryer was left to me by my "Okie" Uncle Tommy who travelled with his mother and older siblings by horse and wagon to California during the early years of the Great Depression and Dust Bowl, leaving their father to work and drill the great plains looking for oil. Luckily for the family, his company hit pay dirt and the company rewarded him with a generous amount of stock and the family soon moved from the Okie Camps of Central California just about the time when things started getting ugly. Every time I use that chicken fryer I think about what they endured to get a better lifestyle for themselves and the hundreds of meals it was used to cook when things were really tough for almost everybody in the country. My uncle also left a beautifully patinaed 1860s-1870s Colt to me that made the trek and also my English grandfather's Smith and Wesson 2 1/2, but both magically disappeared from my aunt and uncle's house after some of my cousins came to take my surviving aunt to the Bay area to live out her final years... but I digress.

Griswold was eventually bought out by Wagner and I personally own mostly Wagner Ware.. Frankly, I prefer the ergonomics of Wagner Ware and find it equally well made, smooth and as nonstick, especially if you find pieces that were well seasoned and taken care of. Some pieces I purchased new and on the cheap back in the 80s and 90s, and they have turned out to be as dependable and well crafted as my much earlier pieces. I also own several Lodge Dutch ovens of various sizes which have stood the test of time, but be sure to buy pieces made before the pre seasoned ones that hit the market in the last 5-10 years. They are not as smooth straight from the factory, but you can sand them down and season them quite easily if you have a hankering to do so.

I am an avid home cook and have spent good money on Mauviel French hammered copper pots and pans, fine Japanese and German knives, and high end appliances, but I am equally blessed to own really well made cast iron cookware from the golden age of American manufacturing. It may not be as pretty to look at or draw as many compliments from my friends, but man does it perform its job and does it really, really well. It's kind of like owning fine double guns but still realizing they hold nothing in terms of enduring quality and functionality over a Model 12, an Ithaca 37, an A5, or a Sterlingworth, which I personally find equally beautiful in their own right. Just because something was made for the common man does not mean it can't be of superb or heirloom quality, and good American cast iron cookware is exactly that.

Stephen started you out on the right track... now go out and enjoy your Griswold skillet and be sure to go online and learn how to take care of it so your great great grandchildren can pass it down to theirs.

Don Steese
6 hours ago, gunsrus said:

. I hope I can be the friend he deserves . 

I'd venture a guess that one of your hundreds of Foxes would go a long way to achieving that goal!!

Brad Eden

That’s really a fine gesture. That sort of fellowship and generosity is a hallmark of the Members of this Board. It’s easy to forget that after managing this Community for going on 19 years, but I’m always reminded of it. And that goes for me personally as well.

French Brittany28

I don't do facebook. I don't post much on this but I read multiple times a day. It's a positive atmosphere with folks that have common interests. Brad gets kudos for keeping things on track and the members as well.

RuffChaser
13 hours ago, gunsrus said:

On another thread I was inquiring about Griswold skillets . I know nothing and hardly cook but being quarantined like others , I'm learning . 

I got a pm from Stephen (Rogue Hunter) who happened to have an extra Griswold #6 and he would send it to me . I asked to pay and even pay shipping and he refused . It arrived yesterday and I am thrilled . I'm sure it will be the beginning of my trek into the cast iron world . 

Stephen epitomizes the UJ world that I know . I hope I can be the friend he deserves . Thank you again Stephen .

He sent you the best of the best. A very nice gesture. Griswold pans were made in my hometown of Erie, PA. My Mom and Grandmother always used them. I have started looking for them now that my Mom has passed away. I got one of hers though. My other brothers and sisters got the others.

hayslope

I find it difficult sometimes to express the enjoyment and camaraderie to other folks when describing the friendship and other interactions with folks from this forum.  Of course, most of them are not bird dog owners or hunters for that matter. But most folks just don't "get" how one can actually interact with people they've only ever "talked" with online. To each their own...... I was actually one of them.  And I was predominantly a lone hunter......except for a dog (and they don't talk much!).

For many of the members here, if you've only interacted with other members "online"', I recommend that you attend one of the "gatherings" such as the Midwest or Catskills events and get to know some of the members. You will find it amazing how much you have in common, but above all, you will end up making friends for life.

If nothing else, forge a friendship with a member in your home state and get together to hunt or fish or whatever. You might be surprised. There really are some great folks on this board!

That said, my hat goes off to Stephen (Rogue Hunter) for his generous gift to Al.

Hell, he might have ended up starting a new thing........Al cooking!

Dave in Maine

A few years back, a friend drew a moose tag in area 19, a hundred or so miles away from his camp up Caribou way.  "I have moose on my property, but I have to go all the way down there", he said.  I said to him, I kinda know a guy from online who lives in that area.  Maybe he can help you out.

So, I put him in contact with Salmontogue.  When my friend went down there to scout, he and Salmontogue met and talked for a while, turned out (Maine being Maine) they kinda knew some of the same people.  After a while, Salmontogue poked the DeLorme with his finger and said "you'll find moose here".

Tuesday morning of the moose hunt, we came around a corner on the road at the spot where he'd poked the map and … there was the moose.  

And that's the kind of people on this site.  Bunch of gentlemen.