REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
gunsrus

UJ , Good People

Swampy 16

Yup, UJ at its finest. I will say all the people I’ve met have been wonderful. Brad is very good at weeding out the knuckleheads. I basically avoid other forums because of that except maybe Trapshooters which can at times produce an asshat or two. As far as cast iron, that’s all we cook on for the most part. I have a Griswald pan or two as well as one of their “Deep Fat Fryers” which is a real gem. Our main pan is an old American made 14” Lodge. I love cast iron ! We have a gentleman that’s always at a flea market in PA that sells a lot of it. He had a 20” (if I remember right) Griswald that was not in any collector catalogs. It may have been made for an institution of some type but he got over 1k for it.

Tim Frazier

I agree 100%

This place has been life changing for me, a real blessing.   I can't imagine not texting Erik several times a week and have met many members from PA.  We get together multiple times a year and all are like family.  Then last fall my best day in the woods was shared with Upstate (John) and can't imagine not seeing him at least once a year now.  As well I'll be traveling west this fall at the invitation of a Birdcountry70 (Alan) and I'm still poking myself!  Hope he likes maple syrup!

Erik.thumb.jpg.74475260611eeb6d2cbf37da8495909e.jpgIMG_7158(1).JPG.1a8038f3a61099c4ac8b77a266dcecb1.JPGIMG_7184.JPG.8181b3dbb3aa1514e969fdef665f12a8.JPGIMG_7870.thumb.jpg.6f7df0898aaa08e7cf7a1bcf555118dc.jpg

Clueless1

Tim is that the young man from this summer?  Boy did he have fun!  I was getting tired watching him and I was only there two hours!

Tim Frazier
2 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Tim is that the young man from this summer?  Boy did he have fun!  I was getting tired watching him and I was only there two hours!

Yes, Evan was the star for sure!

kadehippy

The first sharptail shindig was held in 2007 and UJ people that I met there are some of my best friends to this day . UJ is a great !!!! place

Ben Hong
On 4/27/2020 at 1:47 AM, Don Steese said:

I'd venture a guess that one of your hundreds of Foxes would go a long way to achieving that goal!!

He doesn't need to bribe. He's just good folks, despite being a Brooons Fan.

If it weren;t for the closed boarders, the pandemic and the other issues of the times, I would suggest another old timey "rendezvous"!

Ben Hong
8 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

He doesn't need to bribe. He's just good folks, despite being a Brooons Fan.

If it weren;t for the closed borders, the pandemic and the other issues of the times, I would suggest another old timey "rendezvous"!

terrym

Not meaning to derail this thread, but I know nothing of cast iron pan cooking. What am I missing? Doesn’t everything stick to them?

Swampy 16
5 hours ago, terrym said:

Not meaning to derail this thread, but I know nothing of cast iron pan cooking. What am I missing? Doesn’t everything stick to them?

Not once seasoned properly, for the most part. You never wash them with soap, you just wipe them out. If something does get burned you can soak with water for a bit then scrub out with a metal scouring pad. The heat of cast iron is very consistent and even. Just buy a 100 year old Griswald and fry some bacon in it, you’ll see. Oh, then just drain out most of the grease and pour scrambled eggs in with the left over bacon grease and bits.

Rogue Hunter
38 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

Not once seasoned properly, for the most part. You never wash them with soap, you just wipe them out. If something does get burned you can soak with water for a bit then scrub out with a metal scouring pad. The heat of cast iron is very consistent and even. Just buy a 100 year old Griswald and fry some bacon in it, you’ll see. Oh, then just drain out most of the grease and pour scrambled eggs in with the left over bacon grease and bits.

Yup, a real mans' cooking style; to clean, put water in pan to loosen crud, then wipe out with paper towel. I was "sold" on CI with the first steak I made. Steakhouse taste without the chemical seasoning.

Swampy 16
3 hours ago, Rogue Hunter said:

Yup, a real mans' cooking style; to clean, put water in pan to loosen crud, then wipe out with paper towel. I was "sold" on CI with the first steak I made. Steakhouse taste without the chemical seasoning.

And if it’s raining or too cold to charcoal grill a steak put it in the CI skillet and place it in the broiler. You can’t do that with pretty much any other pan, only CI. We just had an omelette with cherry tomato’s,  parsley, mushrooms, ramps, and mozzarella fried in EVOO. Oh and some heavy cream. Try some of that in your next omelette.

Jazz4Brazo
9 hours ago, terrym said:

Terry....I posted pics of my Canadian CI pans and have since found a number of CDN websites that cover mfg history in Canada. I have a Smartcpan out of Brockville and a few others I have yet to ID...all picked up at garage sales, flea markets, etc. They started life being refurbished then re-seasoned then used for camping for years before becoming a mainstay in the house...best ever and what my mom always used to cook an awesome pan fried steak back in the day 🇨🇦👍🙂

Fishnfowler
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 2:59 PM, gunsrus said:

On another thread I was inquiring about Griswold skillets . I know nothing and hardly cook but being quarantined like others , I'm learning . 

I got a pm from Stephen (Rogue Hunter) who happened to have an extra Griswold #6 and he would send it to me . I asked to pay and even pay shipping and he refused . It arrived yesterday and I am thrilled . I'm sure it will be the beginning of my trek into the cast iron world . 

Stephen epitomizes the UJ world that I know . I hope I can be the friend he deserves . Thank you again Stephen .

Funny,  I've always wanted to shoot a Fox, just sayin....

Scar

16+ years ago I stumbled across some like-minded bird hunters on UJ. For most of the last decade I've hunted with fellow members frequently.  Great experiences all.

I met some of my best friends here. 

Thanks Brad.