Old lumber

SelbyLowndes

Barn wood?  Oh yeah, mine all rotted to the ground.  Don't drive around where they were or you'll get a flat tire...SelbyLowndes

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mccuha

• SelbyLowndes

• Speaks

• spring

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bet there is a company near Charleston, Savannah, or Atlanta that could turn that old lumber into high dollar bespoke furnishings for their clients.  Really depends on the species.  Heart pine will

A good friend had his home on the bay in Florida built from the basics of a 100 year-old Amish barn. It is really something to see. Oh, and if you're interested, it can also be bought.    

I first became acquainted with my current vet thanks to an old barn beam. His then fiancé had a beam taken from the barn at her family home in upstate NY that she wanted to incorporate as a mantle in

Posted Images

SelbyLowndes

Not barn wood, but there is a local industry down here to dive our southern rivers to reclaim the old yellow pine that sunk when rafts of timber were floated down them in the 19th century.  The wood doesn't seem to rot under water.  I've seen worlds of those logs while diving for artifacts...SelbyLowndes

1 hour ago, bigdog MN said:

Fellow that retired a couple years ago works for a guy that goes out and tears down old wooden buildings to reclaim the wood. Sounded like they were pretty busy so there must be a strong demand at least in MN.

Yes, there seems to be. I believe there also is out West. I believe some States require a certain amount of new buildings to be built from recycled/re-purposed products.

How much lumber do you have and how much do you want for it and the barn? My business is in the crapper right now and I used to be in the reclaimed lumber business, this opportunity is sounding more interesting than I thought it would. 

Dave in Maine

Things work out.

You have to assume the old wood, if it's full-sized, is old growth and therefore desirable for milling and reuse.  I'll defer to the professionals in the field (like right above), but I will speculate you will cover any expenses with some profit, should you sell.

10 hours ago, Speaks said:

How much lumber do you have and how much do you want for it and the barn? My business is in the crapper right now and I used to be in the reclaimed lumber business, this opportunity is sounding more interesting than I thought it would. 

Well.  In my opinion I’d guess it’s not worth a drive from MN. I have probably close to 100 old rough sawn 2x4’s.   A bunch of rough 1x4’s   I have yet to get to the bottom of the pile.  I see other sizes.  The thing is. I’ve had to sort through the good and the bad due to the guy that was going to buy it all from me. He took off all the valuable siding off the barn, the doors and some the other items. When he did this, one side of the barn collapsed leaving a lot of the lumber exposed to the elements.  We were able to sell the ship lap siding today. I m going to try and sell and piece out as much as possible.  We salvaged a bunch of 2x6’s and 2x8’s to use.   I would really liked for you to have had it before all the damage. 

6 hours ago, spring said:

A good friend had his home on the bay in Florida built from the basics of a 100 year-old Amish barn. It is really something to see. Oh, and if you're interested, it can also be bought.

7D62019E-4ECB-4E5D-8100-2D5DD691F4FA.jpeg

I love the old heart pine.  We used a ton in our home from exposed beams, railing , stair treads, to flooring throughout the whole down stairs

Wisconsin

We salvaged some barn beams from my wife’s family homestead - after the 100 year old structure collapsed. A couple pieces ended up adorning the top of our living room fireplace.

D29BB3A0-455D-4DAC-B47E-90A2DCC15421.jpeg

I got to thinking about the barn, I was pretty sure that the lumber came from a saw mill just down the road from me    Im friends with them and my wife’s family is related to the family.  I called the guy’s daughter and she was ecstatic.  After talking to her dad we came to the conclusion that her great grandfather cut this lumber. He’d been in the business since the 20’s.   He also cut all the lumber for the local textile mill to build all the mill homes and some of the mills.  She came over yesterday and got some of the lumber to be make something for her and the rest of the siblings.  I just think that’s pretty cool   The saw mill is still in business but they are way more computerized than they were in the past.  

I first became acquainted with my current vet thanks to an old barn beam. His then fiancé had a beam taken from the barn at her family home in upstate NY that she wanted to incorporate as a mantle in the home he was remodeling for them. She had one specific request- that it look as though it was "floating", no visible supports. Not one of the several people he had spoken with before we talked was willing to do it how she wanted. A mutual friend mentioned to Kurt that I enjoy interesting projects and gave him my number. That one old piece of wood led to me finding a great vet as well as months of additional work.

image.jpeg

ARKBRDHUNTER

There is a market for old wood. We had our lobby redone and one wall covered in old barn wood. The first load the contractor brought was not that great and I refused it. He said no problem he had a source for some better wood. It was all old 1 X 10 barn siding boards. I was scared to drive home for fear that one of my neighbors barns would be missing. 

SelbyLowndes

I admire the old wood people are using to build with nowadays.  I wonder though; what about the critters living in those old planks and logs?  Termites, powder post beetles, and the like.  Any one ever heard of a new infestation stemming from introducing that old wood into modern structures for decorating?...SelbyLowndes 

I live in a 100 year old home (not old by some folks' standards) and I get the "bad news/good news" termite inspection annually.  The bad news is that the structure had termite infestation in the past.  The good news is the pine beams and joists were made of high resinous pine which limited the damage.  New structures aren't built of this pine unless it's salvaged old wood.  One inspector commented that if the house were built of new wood and not the heart pine, the roof would be sitting on the floor pilasters.  I can hardly drill through the window sashes the wood is so tough.  Gil

mister grouse

If any body has interest  a few thousand board feet of tongue and groove milled wormy chestnut paneling send me a PM and I can direct you to some ( and if it sells get Brad some $) .  This  paneling came originally from a large lumber buying company in southern APP and was originally put up in an office building in the fifties.  Carefully removed and is now stored under roof .  Has some door frames, window frames and other pieces beside the paneling.  Only sold in one lot which would be in $7-10K range.  Located central Ky.