REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
WFC

Loon nest

Cooter Brown

I had no idea such a thing could be done.  I'm curious like HplandHntr is--is it anchored?

The fishing pics are terrific.  Looks like a wonderful place to live.

WFC

Yes, it is anchored.  I anchor it with a couple old steel dock poles, you can see them laying on top of the platform in the first pick as my wife is dragging it out.  The cedar decking is held on by the plastic mesh/fencing material.  There are multiple plans online for building nesting platforms. 

WFC

Lake trout spawn in the fall, so these fish were just in eating the minnows schooled up in the warmest water they could find.

Up North

I have seen a number of loon nest with a mesh top canopy to protect them from the eagles. Have you consider that type of design with the eagle population continuing to climb?

WFC

i have seen eagle deterrents of various types, canopy or tall brush in the corners.  We have a pile of eagles on the chain of lakes and the loons call whenever one flies overhead.  So far the eagles have left the nest alone for all the years I have had it out.  I think it may be a learned behavior to attack nesting birds as these eagles seem to leave them alone.  The real danger seems to be the first few days after the chicks hatch.  They can't dive very well the first weeks or so because they are so puffy and buoyant.  Once both chicks hatch (usually within a day of each other), the loons do not return to the nest, they spend the rest of the summer bobbing along on open water.  Loons are typically bigger than bald eagles so the adults typically aren't harassed by eagles.    

I leave the nest out until fall because once the loons move off, other birds utilize it.  Lots of ducks and herons like to take a rest on it.  One year I had muskrats move in.  They weren't too happy when i shoveled off the mud, grass, and weeds when i put it away for the winter.  I had two of them hissing at me and biting the shovel.  The loons drag a lot of extra nesting material on each spring.  i just put a nice pile as a base and they finish it up how they please.

Don Steese

Absolutely nothing says "Wilderness" like the call of a loon!! Good on you!!