WFC

Loon nest

WFC

Each year we try to put a loon nest in as soon as the ice goes out.  I built it years ago of six” pvc pipe, cedar decking, and plastic fencing and float it with empty laundry detergent jugs.  Last week the ice went out on Thursday and my wife and dogs helped me gather grass and cattails to add a nesting base and we hauled it out.   A pair of loons were watching us closely even as we hauled it out.  As soon as we left they took ownership and continued to chase any other loons within a half mile away.

If you look closely you can see the pair of loons in the second pic moments after I anchored it and Randy the lovable golden is about to climb on top.

9D1B7C80-AB03-457A-8700-F216F9BCEE26.jpeg

59605295-849D-4463-9D47-5D64FC814CD8.jpeg

WFC

The next morning I got up early to harass turkeys and I saw the pair next to the nest.

5251534D-435F-4B43-B897-647E4AFEFA77.jpeg

6FA3E348-51EC-4681-80C5-02AF085D6417.jpeg

A65771CE-4CD8-46EF-B057-5C002D2453E0.jpeg

WFC

Turkey hunting from the cabin was a bit of a bust.  I heard gobblers near but a property or two over.  I tried waiting them out but four bears showed up instead.  Momma, two of this years cubs, and last years cub.  When they got within 30 yards I stood up from my hidey hole in a fallen tree.  Mom barked and the cubs climbed the tree.  I backed out.  This pick shows two of the cubs.  The other was on the back side of the tree.

9B196ABD-D10F-4649-BE52-5461D37F1FBE.jpeg

WFC

That afternoon, my wife and I canoed into a back bay to see if the crappies were moving shallow yet.  It was a little early, ice out two days prior, but it was a beautiful warm day.  We spotted a few crappies in three feet of crystal clear water  but they scattered as we paddled near them.  We backed off and threw some tiny jigs around the area.  To our surprise we ended up catching (and releasing) a bunch of decent lake trout, in 3’ of water!

WFC

25697228-E530-4608-813D-A97E73954388.jpeg

WFC

97C280F8-0D06-4FEC-AE7A-5E3B9F87B5DF.jpeg

WFC

The loons kept coming back all weekend.  It will be another week or two before they lay their eggs.

5097506E-A303-4162-8726-AADFB3B6A227.jpeg

UplandHntr

Wow is that cool. I didnt know you could erect a loon nest. 
it just sits out in the open like that?

WFC

Yeah open water is fine for us, less predators, ours is tucked next to an offshore bulrush patch on a reef that gets a couple feet tall in the summer.   We’ve had two chicks last the entire summer the last four years.  The bulrush and shallow water serve to deter boats and their wakes which is the main concern.

WFC

Here are 2018 pics, nest went in May 19, loon on it May 20.

2625BA66-8130-4E35-8F84-6895A5F7314C.jpeg

62CD82CE-0D0E-465A-B9E8-02DFCB94C797.jpeg

spinfly

Great reports, I love the call of the loon.

Mike da Carpenter

Awesome thing you do there with the loons.  I’ve never seen one down here where I live, but while the boys were out fishing on the boat a couple days ago said they hear one, then motored over to the direction till they saw it.  I’m guessing it was just stopping in for a visit on its way back home.

How do you attach the cedar decking to the PVC frame?  This will be an awesome project for when we get a retirement place up north.

studdog

Very cool project.  Thanks for sharing.

UplandHntr

Is it anchored?

Dogwood

Gosh that's cool what a neat project.  Beautiful lake.  Is that your year-round home?

I assume the lake trout were in shallow to spawn?