REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mccuha

Himalayan snow cock

mccuha

I was just flipping around and came up on Mark Peterson ‘ expedition series.  He’s hunting Himalayan snow cock .  I thought this was a make believe bird.  Is this really a bird that exists. Always thought it was a joke.  

EB&Me

Yep, found in North America only in the Ruby Mtns.in Nevada. I used to live at the base of the Rubys in Ruby Valley. Guess I should have tried for one then. I was just having too  much fun chasing chukars, sage hens, and blue grouse, with the occasional huns in the lower elevations.

DD Huntress

Diver and the boys made an attempt 2 years ago. They said  they had a great time. They saw snowcock but no snowcock were harmed. 

Me and my boys, Luger and Barrett, went to Nebraska for the prairie grouse opener. We also had a great time and birds were harmed.

Don Steese

The late Bill Bozwell (Boz03) had a nice one mounted. He had the most extensive collection of mounted birds I've ever seen. Even a couple he'd shot in Russia. 

mpaul

I went after snowcock several years ago. A friend of mine has shot a couple and he told me where to go. The country is awesome and really tough. The birds were reported to be on the top. This pic was about half way up. 

642702320_halfwayup.thumb.jpg.1cc94d60168ecc8af1a32b4061ba28d5.jpg

It took me about four hours of hard hiking to get to the top where the birds were rumored to be. On the way up I passed a lot of goats.1864717459_Billy2.thumb.jpg.de549da1acc65a7a44f91d99dd30016c.jpggoat.thumb.jpg.15d0adde777954936ac5bafff7dca9fc.jpg

Once I reached the top I did find a little bird sign but the weather turned on me and I was chased off of the mountain by thunder storms. No birds were harmed on that hunt.

Brad Eden

I saw that Episode yesterday. He’s mainly a big game hunter and I. was actually surprised to hear he grew up in Michigan hunting grouse and woodcock. He’s working towards the Upland Bird Slam (I have no idea exactly what birds are involved) he hunted three types of Ptarmigan in Alaska in that same episode with his Brit; Willow, Rock and White tailed.

atticus

I had no idea there were Mt Goats in Nevada!  What spectacular looking country!

EB&Me
29 minutes ago, atticus said:

I had no idea there were Mt Goats in Nevada!  What spectacular looking country!

Many people in the East think only of the Las Vegas end of Nevada, all desert country. When I talk of 25 below zero days and snow measured in feet, not inches. Some people look at me like I'm crazy and couldn't have been in Nevada. Ruby Dome, highest point in the Rubys is over 11,300 ft. elevation. During the summer we could get to town through Harrison Pass. That was 65 miles. Then it would snow in and we would have to use Secret Pass, a 90 mile one way trip to town. We didn't go to town too often all winter. The high country had a good amount of goats and also now have bighorn sheep. There were also some seriously big muleys in those mountains then. It is beautiful country.

Dave in Maine

There have been a number of photoessays and writeups over on 16ga.com by Wyochukar.  He's also written at least one article about it published in one of the magazines.  He uses a 16 ga sxs.

Here's a piece from last fall:  http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22504&highlight=snowcock

Another, from fall 2018:  http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21664&highlight=snowcock

RuffChaser
14 hours ago, mccuha said:

I was just flipping around and came up on Mark Peterson ‘ expedition series.  He’s hunting Himalayan snow cock .  I thought this was a make believe bird.  Is this really a bird that exists. Always thought it was a joke.  

Nope. They are real and seem to be a pretty darn big bird from what I've seen/read. From what I recall they can only be found in the Ruby Mountains out west. I would guess odds are better getting one with a rifle than shot over a dog. I've seen one or two hunting shows where people pursued them. I wouldn't want to hunt them with a rifle but I am guessing you don't get to close to them very often. I can't imagine hiking all the way up there, getting a point, and then missing them and watching them fly miles away. What' the old line when hunting the mountains - don't give up elevation??

canvasback
2 hours ago, Dave in Maine said:

There have been a number of photoessays and writeups over on 16ga.com by Wyochukar.  He's also written at least one article about it published in one of the magazines.  He uses a 16 ga sxs.

Here's a piece from last fall:  http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22504&highlight=snowcock

Another, from fall 2018:  http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21664&highlight=snowcock

Not only has Wyochukar hunted them but his story telling is fantastic by the standards of on line forums. Wasn't that surprised to see him get published. Lots of good reasons to visit 16 Gauge.com but Wyochukar is one of the best.

Randy S

From the reading and his dog breed, I think Wyochukar used to also post on the dead forum Nodak Outdoors, as something canadian sounding. He's a hell of a hunter. I'd sure like to meet the guy. 

Lurch

On SCAR's Wandering Wingshooter podcast, episode 20  he interviews Eric Heitman on hunting them.

Wandering Wingshooter - Himalayan Woodcock

EDIT: Some dumb(_,_) typed "woodcock" rather than "snowcock" in the link, but you know what I meant!

Dave in Maine
2 hours ago, canvasback said:

Not only has Wyochukar hunted them but his story telling is fantastic by the standards of on line forums. Wasn't that surprised to see him get published. Lots of good reasons to visit 16 Gauge.com but Wyochukar is one of the best.

So is his photography.

canvasback
2 hours ago, Randy S said:

From the reading and his dog breed, I think Wyochukar used to also post on the dead forum Nodak Outdoors, as something canadian sounding. He's a hell of a hunter. I'd sure like to meet the guy. 

A few years ago he told the story, as an aside to another tale, of losing the tranny on his vehicle 10 miles or so into the back country. So he hiked out to civilization, found a replacement transmission, drove back in the following weekend and replaced it, in situ. By himself. He did another one on sewing up a 10 stitch wound himself. On him, not his dog Rusty. LOL And as Dave says, great photos. I think everyone who reads him on 16 gauge would like to meet and hunt with him.