REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Millriver

Fiddleheads

Millriver

Another rite of spring, fresh picked Fiddleheads. My wife made a wonderful Fiddlehead Soup today.

39895909-73EE-4D4D-B2B9-BDB980072859.jpeg

CptSydor

I miss my Atlantic Canadian lunches. This was from a few springs ago. Hopped on my ATV, drove up the road and got lunch.

13220870_10100805908291069_8729096044407012540_n.jpg

terrym

I love fiddleheads. Sautéed in garlic butter, yum. 

BBlizzard18

Some years we have them by now in Central VT. Not this year.  It's been very cold.  I'm hoping for some by next weekend.  Soup looks good! 

Mike da Carpenter

Been looking for those, ramps and morels daily. Any day now, they should be showing up.

polecat

Never picked my own.I have some ferns here with a d shaped stem and understand the Ostrich fern has a u shaped stem like celery.  A related story I was sitting at an unmentioned UJ  hosts table in Northern Maine devouring pickled fiddleheads from a quart jar.I said these are great. He said yeah unless you eat too many you get the runs very bad. In shock I looked at him and said WTF did I eat too many?  No problems occurred.

Millriver
17 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Been looking for those, ramps and morels daily. Any day now, they should be showing up.

Good luck! They come and go so fast.

Mike da Carpenter
3 minutes ago, Millriver said:

Good luck! They come and go so fast.

They have an extremely short season around here.

Don Steese

I'm told they sorta taste like asparagus. True??

canvasback

Man I love fiddleheads. Favourite veggie by far. 

Ben Hong
3 hours ago, CptSydor said:

I miss my Atlantic Canadian lunches. This was from a few springs ago. Hopped on my ATV, drove up the road and got lunch.

Goodness! That is almost iconic in New Brunswick. Baked shad and fiddleheads are almost as good!

Ben Hong
2 hours ago, Don Steese said:

I'm told they sorta taste like asparagus. True??

I like it a bit better...

It will be another 2+/- weeks till the fiddlehead season starts, as soon as the freshet recedes.

Ben Hong
3 hours ago, polecat said:

Never picked my own.I have some ferns here with a d shaped stem and understand the Ostrich fern has a u shaped stem like celery.  A related story I was sitting at an unmentioned UJ  hosts table in Northern Maine devouring pickled fiddleheads from a quart jar.I said these are great. He said yeah unless you eat too many you get the runs very bad. In shock I looked at him and said WTF did I eat too many?  No problems occurred.

Most people who get the runs do so IF they don't cook the fiddleheads thoroughly. Remember that they grow in wetlands, waters' edges etc. They MUST be cooked thoroughly.

Okhotnik
4 hours ago, CptSydor said:

Fiddleheads and fresh brook trout are a rite of spring

Brad Eden

They haven’t started fiddlin up here just yet. I have a small patch on my property where a feeder brook empties into the marsh. Should start seeing them ready to pick about the time the Black Flies start swarming.