REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

OFFICIAL 2020 Gardening Thread

Brad Eden

There have been some gardening Topics but not an “Official” thread I don’t think.

Im prepping my raised beds and adding some left over compost/top soil from the two new beds from least summer. Probably won’t mix in any composted manure but will likely sprinkle in some 5-10-10 fertilizer.  I sowed a bed of two types of sweet peas a couple days ago and sowed kale and spinach in one of the new narrow beds. 

Seeds and sets etc are hard to come by and I have no idea what the seedling situation will be. I grabbed a load of seeds back before they were sold out in lots of places. I won’t be looking for seedlings for a couple weeks or more since I don’t plant those until after Memorial Day except hardier things like broccoli, and cauliflower. 

I called a local HW store and their onion sets and seed potatoes came in yesterday. I’m gonna head over there early to get some of those, and will plant soon along with radishes. I trench potato’s so they won’t likely pop above surface until the end of frost season.

I had decent luck with corn last year which I hadn’t before in raised beds so will devote a bed to corn I think.

How does your garden grow?

nutmeg grouser

Had a hard time finding potato sets in CT and online. Finally found some online. My gardens and raised beds have all been amended and tilled several times over the past month. Peas, radish and carrot seeds and sweet onion sets are in. Thinking about going and buy plants sooner then later and harden them off myself. I think with whats going on these days people are either bored or in hyper survival mode and will be planting gardens like crazy so plants may be tough to find soon. Weather looks to be taking a turn for the better here in CT. Forecast says nice and in the 60's and possible 70's after today. We did sweet corn for the first time last year and it did great. Will be planting it again.

Will look to get bean seeds in, broccoli , cauliflower, some potatoes and brussel sprouts in this week as well. Everything else, 4 varieties of tomatoes, 5 varieties of peppers, cukes, zukes, and yellow squash will wait for end of May.

That's all I got going on here.

idcut

My garden plans this year include the planting and maintenance of two gardens. I have a 20x20 raised bed in my back yard that I started to plant yesterday. I started some Dutch Flat cabbage seeds 2-3 weeks ago along with some straight 8 cucumber seeds. I was able to find some plants at Lowes, so I purchased a flat of twelve Dutch Flat cabbage plants, a flat of Walla Walla sweet onion sets, a couple of Poblano chili plants, a couple of cucumber plants and some tomato plants. I planted six of the Dutch Flat cabbage plants, two rows of the Walla Sweet onions (about half of what I bought) and two rows of carrot seeds. The poblano, tomato and cucumber plants along with some zucchini and crook neck seed will be planted in a week or so. If the cabbage and cucumber seed I planted do anything (they're starting to pop up), I'll place those in both gardens.

I'll plant the remainder of the cabbage, onions and a couple of the tomato plants in the large garden I prepped at my mom's place, which my dad meticulously maintained up until a couple of years ago. Along with those mentioned, I'll plant some winter squash, pumpkins, zucchini and cucumbers and a couple of rows of carrots in my mom's garden. Since she (mom) lives about 55 miles miles away, I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew, but now that I'm retired, I can spend more time there and my brother and sister who are also retired have indicated they can assist with the care and maintenance of the garden at her place. I also started some Brandywine tomatoes from seed, so if those ever materialize, I'll stick those in somewhere.

Between the two places, there are various apple, pear, peach, plum, walnut, almond and hazel nut trees and grapes planted, which I've pruned and some are starting to blossom. I also have a couple of pecan and from about 25 American chestnut trees planted, about 8 are still living, that the pocket gophers haven't managed to kill yet! I've declared war on those darn things this year as I do every year (shades of Caddyshack). That's about the extent of my summertime garden plans.

gaberdeen

During the one nice day we had last week when I was off from work I managed to plant some broccoli seedlings along with a bed of strawberries. I started some tomato seeds indoors under a grow light because I can’t find the variety I like around here. They are now about 2 inches tall. I also popped in some cantaloupe seeds and a few Brussels sprout seeds. I need to get some fence posts and create trellises for my raspberries and blackberry patch that I planted last year. This weekend I’ll sow some spinach and Swiss chard.

Chief Paduke

A couple of weeks ago we got the arugula, beets, cabbage, and kale planted. Monday we transplanted some tomato plants that were getting a little too large for the flats that they were in. I am fortunate that Mrs. Chief is in the horticultural department at the university and has a greenhouse where she can start our plants. 

Marc Ret

Haven't done any gardening since childhood but decided to put in a few things this year. So far only sugar peas and butterhead lettuce in containers on the deck. Picked up some Silver Queen corn to plant in a month or so as well. Working on a stand/trellis for the peas at the moment as they're coming along nicely and will need supported soon. Five pots for a total of thirty plants...

image.jpeg

BBlizzard18

Peas, mixed greens, mustard greens, chard, kale, radishes, and onions are planted.  I'm working on moving soil around and planting beets today, possibly more.  Still a couple weeks before any maters, herbs, cucs or anything like that goes in.  I have about 40 tomato plants growing under the lamp, they're about 6" tall.  I'll give away half to family and keep the others and put various places around.  This year I'm growing "Marglobe" as the main slicer/canner.  First time for that variety, I was out of a red average type tomato seed and the local Agway had some.  I also have a few "Sugar Plums", and "Gardeners Delight" cherries, "Caspian Pinks" which are purplish red beefsteaks, and "Golden King of Siberia" which are a yellow heart shaped beefsteak that I really like.  Two years ago I planted a 1/4 acre of sweet corn and brassicas behind the house for a food plot for wildlife and ourselves.  I'm debating on doing that again as the sweet corn brought in lots of raccoons.  

We have four plum trees that I planted three years ago that are looking good, we got a handful of plums last year, and we're looking forward to seeing what they do this year.  20 raspberry plants went in three years ago and have been a great addition, with exception to the drosophila flies we got in them last year, think little white maggots in the raspberries, so I need to monitor/figure that out.  If you're OK with eating them they're harmless to people, but we don't want to be giving anyone pints of raspberries with things crawling around in them.  A few apple trees that are growing slow and steady.  Two days ago I picked up a semi-dwarf "North Star Cherry" tree.  We planted that yesterday.  I've been moving around some flowering crabs that I grafted 4 years ago, and also did a few new grafts from trees I had this year.  I was hoping to get some blueberries in this year, but I don't think it made it into the plans.  Maybe next year.  It's a fun time of year watching everything come to life.  

0C126620-FC9B-4432-8CA3-4B5EF05469D2.thumb.jpeg.4da3a6b1db9dbc0096ea60773c079496.jpeg

barna

I am thinking of putting down landscaping fabric in my garden this year to control the weeds. Any suggestions and tips in making it work?

Thanks 

Barna

Brad Eden
3 hours ago, barna said:

I am thinking of putting down landscaping fabric in my garden this year to control the weeds. Any suggestions and tips in making it work?

Thanks 

Barna

Never used landscape fabric. When I had an in ground tilled garden I spread straw as mulch around all my vegetable plants. That kept weeds at bay and kept soil warm and moist. (Need to make sure it’s straw not hay...if hay you will be planting more weeds) And I did the wide row type gardening keeping a tiller width in between rows. I’d run the Troybilt rear time tiller through garden rows off and in during growing season to keep weeds at bay. Now that I have raised beds I lay down black plastic in the beds where I set seedlings. I make an X slit and plant the seedlings. Completely wipes out weeds, warms soil, maintains moisture, etc. and has been a game changer as far as yield. 

Brad Eden

Planted red and yellow onion sets and radishes yesterday. May plant some Red Norland and Yukon Gold seed potatoes today.

ccavacini

And while gardening, beware of these stripey creatures

bees.jpg

Felix

Aspargus.JPG.9bbada509c3c5386f61b176d84f82c47.JPG

I picked my first patch of asparagus today.  I should be picking regularly for the next 3 or 4 weeks.

SelbyLowndes

I'm impressed with the big time gardening you guys do.  I'm just a back porch tomato grower.  The raised wooden veg-truk I've been using for years finally rotted down and had to be disposed of, so this year I'm back to pot's.  Plants (from seeds) are up to about 15 inches.  My experience is no matter when you plant a tomato down here you don't get one ready to eat until July.  On the other hand, the farmer's market tomatoes (from who knows where) have been excellent this Spring...SelbyLowndes

Chief Paduke

Something got my tomato plants last night and one pepper plant also. I’ll have to put out my camera and see what I need to guard against. Prior to this, I’ve only had issues with a tomato marauding squirrels and a possum who liked squash. 

Clueless1
On 5/3/2020 at 2:19 AM, barna said:

Thanks 

Barna

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R63JFQV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My garden is tough to get to which means I don't weed nearly as much as I should.  I have been using black plastic with good results over the last few years but this came highly rated from a friend so I am trying it this year.