Brad Eden

OFFICIAL 2020 Gardening Thread

Cheesy

Yesterday was a good picking day.

Got a bunch of cayennes, dehydrated for powder. 

yxh2h82.jpg

That small batch of jalapeños (or japalenos as my 7 year old calls them) was turned into Cowboy Candy. Google the recipe, but a syrup is made with vinegar and sugar. Makes a sweet tangy pickled jalapeño. 

WluNgf2.jpg

okra was fried with corn meal and flour

S8TyIFk.jpg

Not pictured was the 5 gallon bucket of yellow squash. First time planting butternut squash. I like them. Chunked up and sautéed with bacon and onion. Lemon cucumbers are good in salads. Thinking the wife is about done with 2020garden festivities. 

H9n7e2e.jpg

Missed the pic of the first mess of green beans of the year. They were great cooked with a large dollop if bacon grease in the water. 

1971snipe
31 minutes ago, Cheesy said:

Yesterday was a good picking day.

Got a bunch of cayennes, dehydrated for powder. 

yxh2h82.jpg

That small batch of jalapeños (or japalenos as my 7 year old calls them) was turned into Cowboy Candy. Google the recipe, but a syrup is made with vinegar and sugar. Makes a sweet tangy pickled jalapeño. 

WluNgf2.jpg

okra was fried with corn meal and flour

S8TyIFk.jpg

Not pictured was the 5 gallon bucket of yellow squash. First time planting butternut squash. I like them. Chunked up and sautéed with bacon and onion. Lemon cucumbers are good in salads. Thinking the wife is about done with 2020garden festivities. 

H9n7e2e.jpg

Missed the pic of the first mess of green beans of the year. They were great cooked with a large dollop if bacon grease in the water. 

I didn't grow cayennes this year.  Typically I used to push them into fancy bottles and fill with a vinegar mixture, and leave it on the table for general use ... greens, peas, rice, cornbread, and a bottle of vinegar sauce on the side.   

Brad Eden

I have dug my potato’s and pulled the red and yellow onions, and cleared out the green and wax bean bed, and the headless broccoli and Cauliflower plants. My garden poops out sooner than most because I start it earlier than most up here. Pretty much still harvesting tomatoes, the last of the cucumbers, green peppers, jalapeño peppers and some summer squashes. Tops of all the lettuce are still good and not bitter. Corn looks like a bust as does any significant pumpkins. I just just can’t get those to thrive in a raised bed for some reason. Otherwise another decent summer garden. 

Ruger1

Not the garden but the harvest...and carbs. and cals. be...damned. 

Tomatoes, onions, parsley, basil and fresh garlic from the garden and hidden amongst the asagio cheese and spinach pasta are large chunks of charcoal grilled chicken breast. The pretzel is from a local bakery - soft and chewy and lots of sea salt :

50222988178_087385aa57_k.jpg

And I'm not chagrined to say I ate it all .

Ruger 1

Ruger1

Green Zebras anyone ?

50244714728_b1a8fd6527_k.jpg

Ruger 1

Felix
On 8/13/2020 at 4:49 PM, Brad Eden said:

as does any significant pumpkins. I just just can’t get those to thrive in a raised bed for some reason. Otherwise another decent summer garden. 

I had a friend that grew nice sized pumkins when I couldn't get any size to mine.  I gave up, but later asked him what his secret was and he just said "Lime".

I'm not sure if he was honest or not. I haven't tried growing them but if I do, I'll add some lime to the soil.

Swampy 16
59 minutes ago, Ruger1 said:

Green Zebras anyone ?

50244714728_b1a8fd6527_k.jpg

Ruger 1

I used to grow those. They’re nice in salad and killer chopped up in salsa.

BBlizzard18

Maters are coming in quick.  I've been freezing a bunch of them whole until I get enough to make a big pot of stewed tomatoes to can.  Slicing cucumbers are still chugging along, picklers are pretty much done, ended up with about 40 pints of pickles.  Pulled onions and planted some quick stuff like radishes and arugula last week.  Planted some more lettuce seed in a place I can cover with my two small hoop houses when the weather turns.  47 degrees when I got up this morning, my 4 year old asked me to start a fire...weather looks a bit more reasonable for the foreseeable future.

Maybe I've been lucky with pumpkins so far.  I grow a variety called "Howden" an heirloom halloween pumpkin developed in Massachusetts.  It was the first variety I tried, it worked, and I haven't looked at anything else since.  Lots of good compost and sun are my only tips.  Though, maybe mine will all die this year, gardening certainly has a way of humbling me from time to time.  Below is a pic of my daughter last September in the pumpkin patch

.  4E4FEDE8-9EC3-4BB2-90FB-FC053A2ED498.thumb.jpeg.6754926257a5bdc4e6cdc6a0aa87fe2f.jpeg

idcut

So far, I've harvested a bunch of cucumbers, a fair number of zucchini's, a few tomatoes with a ton of green ones still on the vine. I hope the Brandywines ripen, they are the biggest I've ever grown. I pulled the rest of the Walla Walla sweets today, with one weighing in at 2 lbs 2 ozs and I have a few that are larger still! My poblanos have under performed and my crook neck are almost non existent. I harvested two of my cabbage plants and turned those into sauerkraut....about 10 lbs worth and have another 5 big ones yet to pick and process into sauerkraut as well! Carrots are the only other vegetable I have planted and have harvested some of those, with a bunch left to dig or just leave and cover into the later fall and winter.

barna

The cucumbers are producing steady. Making fermented pickles.

IMG_20200826_202550.jpg

barna

Tomatoes are starting to come along.

Picked the first ghost of the season and a few cayenne

Barna 

IMG_20200827_190440.jpg

bmeador

Today's 30 minutes in the garden! Almost a full basket.

20200828_130909.jpg

Chief Paduke

31-DEFF97-52-CE-4605-977-F-22075-CCABD19

First batch of jalapeño jelly. 

Chief Paduke

Cherokee Purple and Hellman’s on seven grain bread. 

A0-E34518-25-BD-42-C7-A70-A-20-EB9923-C3

Too many tomatoes. I feel like Bubba Gump. We have canned tomatoes, made tomato sauce, frozen tomatoes, tomato pies, fried green tomatoes, bacon and tomato, sliced tomatoes and given away tomatoes. 

Swampy 16
16 minutes ago, Chief Paduke said:

Cherokee Purple and Hellman’s on seven grain bread. 

A0-E34518-25-BD-42-C7-A70-A-20-EB9923-C3

Too many tomatoes. I feel like Bubba Gump. We have canned tomatoes, made tomato sauce, frozen tomatoes, tomato pies, fried green tomatoes, bacon and tomato, sliced tomatoes and given away tomatoes. 

Where’s the bacon? Cherokee is an excellent variety. I’ve grown them many times. My all time favorites are Old German and Bear Claw but the Cherokee is very close. The first pic is a Bear Claw BLT and the 2nd is my 10’+ Aunt Ruby’s German Greens.0C18BBE7-9668-4CCB-B4C5-C729D19396BF.thumb.jpeg.a30cdd7e298ba757df984c79fd9cd7a6.jpeg387BFE88-FD90-4EE2-82C5-27E31515BEA8.thumb.jpeg.87acc2d44633a4e66641a6aafbac70fd.jpeg