REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

OFFICIAL 2020 Gardening Thread

Brad Eden

I managed to sow a few types of lettuce and some more radishes and some carrots a few days ago. Got the broccoli and cauliflower seedlings in the ground. I have some cucumber, yellow squash and zucchini and green pepper seedlings hardening off under a cold frame. Those still won’t go in for a couple weeks. I haven’t bought my tomato seedlings. I still have to sow some green and wax beans and Corn and some pumpkins. Then it’s a waiting game.

My peas have popped up as well as the kale and spinach and radishes and onion set tops.

gaberdeen

Put my tomato’s, Brussels sprouts, cantaloupes and cauliflower in the ground today. Finally having some warmer weather and hopefully past any frosts. Still have pepper plants and some leeks in flats to get in the ground. Replanted some rhubarb plants that had been in pots but never got too big. Going away for a few days but when I get back I will direct seed some Swiss chard and green beans.

Brad Eden

Green and yellow beans in along with corn. Shouldn’t break surface for a week or so, and weather looks good for no frosts All that is left is to lay some black plastic and plant cucumbers, squashes and tomatoes seedlings.

Treerooster

We are done picking asparagus after about 5 weeks. Got plenty in the freezer.

Raspberries are about a foot tall now. I cut them to the ground so they come on all at once.

Planted onion seeds in the ground around April 10th. I plant seeds as they store better, mine onions last until the next crop is ready. They are up, about 5" tall and looking good

Carrots and spinach we're planted in late April and both have sprouted.

I planted broccoli and cabbage seedlings inside and transplanted to the garden in early April. Mistake. It got down to 10 degrees one morning and that killed them even though I had them covered in plastic flower pots. But I plant 3 or 4 seeds when I put the seedlings in as insurance and those are up now.

Just planted my tomato seedlings that I started inside and will plant my green pepper seedlings within a week. Sowed some peas also. Wasn't going to mess with peas this year but decided to go ahead with it. A little late but should be ok.

Also will plant seeds of green beans, cukes, cabbage, and water melon in a week or so.

Then that will be it and just a matter of watering, mulching, and harvesting. Along with hoping we don't get hailed out.

barna

Has anyone tried putting down cardboard for weed control?

I was leaning towards black plastic or landscaping fabric, but using fabric will restrict the worm movement and this is not beneficial.

Is having a good worm population beneficial to a garden?

In the past I weeded a lot, but just don't want to deal with it this year.

thanks,

Barna

Pleasant Ridge
6 hours ago, barna said:

Has anyone tried putting down cardboard for weed control?

I was leaning towards black plastic or landscaping fabric, but using fabric will restrict the worm movement and this is not beneficial.

Is having a good worm population beneficial to a garden?

In the past I weeded a lot, but just don't want to deal with it this year.

thanks,

Barna

Ive used cardboard and newspaper. Yes, you want worms!!! They are great for the soil..

1971snipe

First tomato of the season. 

IMG_20200523_094204540.jpg

Brad Eden
11 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

First tomato of the season. 

IMG_20200523_094204540.jpg

wow. I haven’t even planted my tomato seedlings yet. 

Mike da Carpenter

All our stuff got planted last Wednesday.  We attempted to grow everything from seed, but that was a huge failure.  Went to the local greenhouse and bought everything cheap. We only have a 6’x20’ garden, but I’m impressed how much we can pack in there. Every year we put more and more in it.  This year our youngest son is taking a very active roll in the garden and asked if he could try potatoes and onions.  Figured why not?  Got a feeling this is going to be a good year for a late summer harvest.  

We are doing cucumbers (English and pickling), tomatoes (beefanator and Roma), peppers (poblano, sweet bell, Gypsy, sweet banana), sweet onions around the entire perimeter, potatoes (pontiac red, Yukon gold and Blue)then in my wife’s main flower garden, we did zucchini and summer squash and two different types of cabbage along with a few honeydew plants.  She doesn’t like the idea, but it’s for her baby boy.  HA!!  Then Just for good measure we once again Planted butternut squash seeds all around the house in anyplace we would think they will grow.  Gonna be interesting to see what happens.  More importantly, gonna be interesting to see if my wife allows us to take over her flower beds next year.  Plus our oldest son has some herb gardens planted in pots too.

I’m thinking when my wife is able to go out and pick everything to make a salsa and she knows it’s fresh, she will let us have the needed space for next year.

1971snipe

Tomatoes and jalapenos are beginning to ripen now.  After picking the first tomato (which I'll eat today), I've started picking a little early and let them ripen safely on the porch.  I'll probably make my first batch of picante sauce this week.  

IMG_20200526_113539000.jpg

Yukon1

We moved to our new house last fall so this is the first year with the garden. I built two new 4x8 raised beds and planted them Memorial Day weekend. Hopefully they'll be as productive as the beds at the last house. This year we planted tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, cukes, summer squash, two kinds of lettuce, swiss chard, green beans and leeks. 

New raised beds .JPG

Cheesy

My 'maters and peppers are looking great.  Couple feet tall, healthy.  I'd like to have had the squash/cukes/melons in the ground a month ago but it keeps raining.  Might have to put pontoons on my mud boots and put the seed in the ground anyway.

Brad Eden

All in. Frost frost stay away...

Chief Paduke

Picked kale and arugula yesterday. Arugula started to bolt already. 

Chief Paduke

Any of you UJers know of a watermelon variety (and seed source) that produces thick enough rinds for pickling? In improving the watermelon, it seems that very thin rinds has been one of the goals.