REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

OFFICIAL 2020 Gardening Thread

paul frey
On 6/19/2020 at 12:02 PM, Korthaar said:

I've struggled mightily with slugs, chipmunks, and early severe heat this  year.  I could barely save my peppers, lettuce spinach and peas, but they are pulling through now. I have never seen so many chipmunks in my life. Must be a cyclical thing. They pull my plants and leave them lay, dig up seeds and eat them, and burrow throughout my beds.  They won't go into my live traps, so more insidious methods were deployed.  I have found success fighting slugs by ringing my peppers with sandpaper collars.

20200617_171249.jpg

Diatomaceous earth around your plants will keep slugs away. I know not everyone is a cat fan but my cats keep chipmunks, mice and voles in check. One even killed a frog the other day. The crappy part about it is they leave them in the lawn and then when the dogs find them they either roll on them or try to eat them🤬

paul frey
On 6/19/2020 at 8:52 AM, Two Barrels said:

This is the first year we have ever had a deer problem.  They wiped out our green beans in one night.  We were able to salvage 1 gallon when we should have had at least 5 gallons.  They have started in on my okra and crowder peas too.  I put up an electric fence and a couple of trail cameras this week.  We’ll see what happens.  I had to have a discussion with my neighbor earlier this spring.  He started feeding them down by the creek that crosses both of our properties late last summer and continued up until late March.  That is why they are even in our area.  I told my wife a few days ago this may be the fall when I shoot deer from the back yard.

I shoot them in the backyard all the time. Makes my life easier as I work 7 days a week most of the year

Brad Eden

1A3AF158-3282-4D47-B8EF-96CCCCE39EE1.jpeg

Things going well here. I had to deal with one big snowshoe hare that was compromising stuff. And just noticed strawberry’s are getting eaten by chipmunks or by birds. I usually put netting over those beds to keep birds out, and will set my small hav a hart trap for the rodents. Or employ the .22.

At this point greens; lettuce, spinach and kale, and radishes are about the only yield. Jo is gonna make some Pesto later this week with the basil from herb bed. I expect peas in a couple weeks. Then it’s a waiting game for the rest. The last to come in is typically corn and tomatoes. Very few full grown cucumbers get to the table since I tend to graze on those when they are small. We need rain BAD. I’ve been watering best I can, being a water mizer  with our own well...yards all over are turning brown, even our big leafed Hosta ornamentals are starting to brown prematurely. Forecast is calling for some rain and thunderstorms in the next few days.

ness
On 6/19/2020 at 11:02 AM, Korthaar said:

I've struggled mightily with slugs, chipmunks, and early severe heat this  year.  I could barely save my peppers, lettuce spinach and peas, but they are pulling through now. I have never seen so many chipmunks in my life. Must be a cyclical thing. They pull my plants and leave them lay, dig up seeds and eat them, and burrow throughout my beds.  They won't go into my live traps, so more insidious methods were deployed.  I have found success fighting slugs by ringing my peppers with sandpaper collars.

20200617_171249.jpg

Nice, tidy garden there! 

Clueless1

Well, after hearing the dogs messing with something I figured out they found a rabbit nest.  The little things could hardly move but the dogs didn't damage the one they pulled out of the nest.  So I spent the better part of an hour trying to get a fence around the nest that the dogs couldn't get in but momma bunny could.  I think I succeeded but haven't checked back in on the bunnies yet. 

I then went over to start working in the garden to find the rabbits had eaten every leaf off my zucchini plants.  Yes, probably the same darn rabbits that I had just spent an hour trying to help out!!  So then I spent the next hour fencing in the zucchini plants to keep the rabbits out🤬

Not sure if these plants will make it or not.

IMG_0297.JPG

zucchini.jpg

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Beer traps work great for our northern slugs, unfortunately the dogs also like them. Stuff in greenhouse looks great, outside stuff not so much. Got seeds from a different place this year and had terrible germination, like less than 25% for bush beans. Back to territorial next year.

Spiller

Today is the day of garlic scape harvest.

Brad Eden

JoAnn just finished making a batch of Pesto. She uses the basil leaves, fresh garlic bulbs, parm cheese, walnuts and olive oil in a food processor.  Outstanding, We will indulge this afternoon with beers on deck...with slices of baguette bread. I love fresh Pesto. Will likely have it in pasta later in week etc. Great year for basil in herb bed. Bright, healthy and green. I’ve been keeping them well watered, despite this drought. 

BBlizzard18

Garden is doing well, lots of veggies growing and going well.  My sister in-law gifted us 4 blueberry bushes this week.  Apparently that was her wedding gift for us from 10 years ago.  I planted them today with the kids.  Life has been busy the last few months.  If anyone wants a flowering crab I have a few extras in the central VT area that need homes.  I grafted some a couple years ago and have some extra.  

IMG_1411.JPG

Brad Eden

01FED69D-9186-4340-A602-E2DBDFB220F3.jpeg

Quite far along for a Maine garden, and finally some rain. A few days of it forecast says. Should have some young cucumbers and summer squash and zucchini soon, and hopefully some sweet peas.

Auto-5

Bumper crop of Swiss Chard  and basil so far. Tomatoes and peppers are looking good  but not ripe yet. We probably messed up not planting some zucchini  with the shut down and all. Normally  we Live the joke about having to be sure to lock the car at church or you find the floor  board full. 

Spiller

Real good crop of home grown strawberries this year.

So far already harvested: strawberries, garlic scapes (garlic scape pesto, hhhhmmmm), radishes, plenty of fresh herbs, and a ton o' lettuce.  I'm expecting, based on how things are growing, a bumper crop of blueberries, tomatoes, new potatoes, eggplant and even more radishes. Peppers are coming along but still looking scrawny. Wife put up a bunch of strawberry jam.  We just busted one open this morning to try it...there ain't nothing like English muffins, farm fresh butter, and homemade strawberry jam with a good cup of coffee.

Cheesy

Picked the first tomato last week, have picked a couple dozen since then.  Had he first BLT last tight, actually a BLTOPCM.

aAfTphh.jpg

Picked enough blackberries for a pie Saturday.  Probably enough tonight for 2 or 3 pies..

230S1gh.jpg

POXA5BK.jpg

She found a watermelon

yYXkgNM.jpg

Brad Eden

4A73E2A4-E7DC-4CF3-A78B-41CAA2C5A063.jpeg

My daughters have been visiting. This is the haul they are leaving with: Broccoli, squashes, new potato’s, bell peppers, greens/lettuce, sweet peas, basil, cilantro, Italian mint, parsley.  I’ve been eating the tiny cucumbers as they grow. Tomatoes have a ways to go yet as does corn. And green and wax beans are on the cusp.

OHhamster
9 hours ago, Cheesy said:

Picked the first tomato last week, have picked a couple dozen since then.  Had he first BLT last tight, actually a BLTOPCM.

aAfTphh.jpg

Picked enough blackberries for a pie Saturday.  Probably enough tonight for 2 or 3 pies..

230S1gh.jpg

POXA5BK.jpg

She found a watermelon

yYXkgNM.jpg

Kids are cool!